Fires around Sydney

jhenry1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure if it is good news or bad news for Canberra, we are getting a delivery of 100,000 P2 masks. They are not 100% effective and it also means we still have the smoke for some time to come.

really 100,000 I find that hard to believe I thought you lot that live in Canberra are use to all that crap smell and hot air from the mouths of the politicians ..  we have been getting masks  for yrs around the country  as all that crap from the politicians seem to blow around the whole country .. thought you people in Canberra were use to it growing up.. oh hang on with a lot more crap from politicians in Canberra due to the bush fires probably is now starting to affect you;s  lol 

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You'll be pleased to hear that there is a FB fundraiser, started by comedian Celeste Barber, that has already raised over $20 million for the NSW Rural Fire Service. The should buy them a few more trucks etc. Actually I hope the money raised is shared with fire services throughout Australia not just NSW.

It’s over $30 million now, which is amazing! Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, like Pink, donated $500,000. Many businesses pledged to give their weekend’s proceeds to charity as well. It is so great.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

And that is how bad it has been here and worse for weeks.

Exactly. We are on day 123 of fires in our area, with the choking smoke and the eerie glow along with it 😞 

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw something on TV about a town in NSW on level 6 water restrictions. I can't remember the name of the town unfortunately but watching it I thought they are living like people in Cape Town. It is quite scary. 

Murrurundi or Gloucester? 

We have been on level 5 for a while now and will move to level 6 soon (we have less than a year of water left). We have had a little bit of rain this week, but we desperately need so much more.

If people want to donate to an animal related cause, my friend has a sanctuary for rescues and has no food or water left for them. She has been transporting them to other areas for a few months now, but has had to evacuate. With nowhere to take them currently (everywhere is on fire) she is in the situation where she might have to euthanise because she doesn’t have the $1500 per week to buy food and water. Could you please consider her if you want to donate to a specific animal related cause? I can provide all details so that you know she is legit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

really 100,000 I find that hard to believe I thought you lot that live in Canberra are use to all that crap smell and hot air from the mouths of the politicians ..  we have been getting masks  for yrs around the country  as all that crap from the politicians seem to blow around the whole country .. thought you people in Canberra were use to it growing up.. oh hang on with a lot more crap from politicians in Canberra due to the bush fires probably is now starting to affect you;s  lol 

I know you jest but we only have 5 federal politicians that live here in Canberra and that is because they are ACT MP's and Senators.  The rest of the 148 MP's and 74 Senators are from elsewhere and only visit for around 12 weeks a year.  IME the ones blowing the most crap seem to come from the ones that live elsewhere.

• Like 1

Canada has been offering support and we have firefighters there. Is it true that your prime minister did not accept Canada’s offer of water bombing planes? I keep watching the weather report and praying for rain. We’ll be touching down in Sydney Feb 3.

Something less usual in Melbourne and surrounds today.

It has been light rain and drizzle for hours, which is nice.

However, it seems to be trapping a lot of smoke at low levels.  Very heavy smell in the air.

State government has issued an air quality warning Because of the conditions and potential health impacts. https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#!/warning/11619

7 minutes ago, Shayna1900 said:

Is it true that your prime minister did not accept Canada’s offer of water bombing planes?

If he did then it would be then it would have been for a good reason. They just announced they would be sourcing a further 4 fire fighting planes over the weekend. The fire chiefs have said repeatedly that they have the resources they need - clearly that situation changes as the fires worsen 

There’s a lot of political posturing going on at the moment and some factions are using any opportunity to politicise aspects of the situation for whatever purpose suits them - I guess that’s going to happen but it detracts from the focus on getting things done and everyone pulling together. It isn’t going to stop though - haters gonna hate! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Mic, are you getting any improvement in the air quality in Canberra?

Not really, visibility is a bit better but then the build up is still here. Some Government departments are closed today, but not mine (although I am off as I am crook). People are being told to stay home  and indoors, many of the major places (for tourists) like the War Memorial, Gallery etc are closed as well.

31 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Something less usual in Melbourne and surrounds today.

It has been light rain and drizzle for hours, which is nice.

However, it seems to be trapping a lot of smoke at low levels.  Very heavy smell in the air.

State government has issued an air quality warning Because of the conditions and potential health impacts. https://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#!/warning/11619

The smoke on our side of the bay is horrible, have to have headlights on and yes it seems to be trapped by the drizzle. It is quite eerie. We had about 8mm up until 9 am. Hopefully the fire areas are getting more. In the south east suburbs the air quality is listed as very unhealthy but Canberra is nearly 3 times as much. I really feel for them.

Leigh

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

They're closed because of the smoke conditions I'm assuming Mic?

Yes, at one point yesterday the air quality was off the scale, got up over 900 and readings keeping it as the worst in the world. It is horrific to think that this may be the norm for another few weeks.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, at one point yesterday the air quality was off the scale, and readings keeping it as the worst in the world. It is horrific to think that this may be the norm for another few weeks.

Goodness (that wasn't the word I said out loud but I'd be kcked off CC if I used it here), how are you coping? No one would be able to work outside at all. Just walking to your car would be bad enough. How is the public bus system working?

Take care and I hope it clears soon.

Leigh

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Goodness (that wasn't the word I said out loud but I'd be kcked off CC if I used it here), how are you coping? No one would be able to work outside at all. Just walking to your car would be bad enough. How is the public bus system working?

Take care and I hope it clears soon.

Leigh

Most buildings have smoke in them as well although they were assuring us the air quality was okay.

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Most buildings have smoke in them as well although they were assuring us the air quality was okay.

This is from an email from my university that just came through

We have reports of smoke alarm activations in various buildings due to the smoky conditionsand these will monitored via our automated response system.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Mic, we will be on the Majestic in 4 weeks and you will be able to escape the smoke for a while, Hobart should be ok, but probably not Melbourne. 

We did a 3 dayer between Xmas and new Year, kept close to the east coast all the way and had beautiful clear skies, just lucky, but we did head north not south.

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

This is from an email from my university that just came through

We have reports of smoke alarm activations in various buildings due to the smoky conditionsand these will monitored via our automated response system.

Yes, lots of false alarms that were not actually false as there is smoke, it is just from fires elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Mic, we will be on the Majestic in 4 weeks and you will be able to escape the smoke for a while, Hobart should be ok, but probably not Melbourne. 

We did a 3 dayer between Xmas and new Year, kept close to the east coast all the way and had beautiful clear skies, just lucky, but we did head north not south.

Yes , I am looking forward to the crisp tassie air.

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, at one point yesterday the air quality was off the scale, got up over 900 and readings keeping it as the worst in the world. It is horrific to think that this may be the norm for another few weeks.

That's unbelievably bad! Horrific indeed! Take care, hope you get better quickly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Hope Melbourne is cleared of smoke by the time you are here! We have actually been lucky and not had too many days of smoke. But now there are fires in TAS and SA we will likely have smoke from there as well as from Gippsland, NE Victoria and the NSW fires, depending which way the wind is blowing.

I can remember one time many years ago sitting at the Kooyong Tennis Classic in the smoke which was coming from Tassie or maybe King or Flinders Islands. It was not very pleasant at all. Next week is the Kooyong Classic where my grandson will be a ball boy. Hopefully no smoke!

Leigh