Farenheit 555 questions

On 12/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, Jamman54 said:

Just curious as to why you don't think it is worth it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 😎

IMHO the comparison to land based steakhouses for value misses the fact that I already paid for what should be a nice restaurant meal in the MDR.  

• Like 1

We booked the steakhouse for my sons 19th birthday.  

Firstly, the service was almost non-existent.  We were treated like we were an afterthought - the reception was "preoccupied with something else" - we were seated and it took quite a while for anyone to even acknowledge us.  We were handed menus, and then again, waited a great deal of time just to even get water.  My husband physically went up to the bar for bar service.  By him doing so, he was up and back with drinks before we got water.  We were served by three different people and the only time anyone followed up with the standard "how is everything" was halfway through the main course.  Water glasses were not refilled, and I finally stopped someone walking by to see if they'd leave their water pitcher.

Secondly, the food was ok but not the upscale quality we expected.  I am a foodie, but I am also a realist.  I was not expecting a Michelin Star experience but Texas Roadhouse service would have been nice.  The bread selection was interesting - The appetizers were sad.  The Bisque - usually my favorite - had no flavor.  None.  And was lukewarm at best after the wait person poured the soup in the bowl.  The shrimp cocktail was ok, but had more guacamole than shrimp.  (The guac was very good - I'd have asked for chips with that and eaten that all night!)  But the cocktail sauce tasted "off" and my husband did NOT like it.  My son had a Caesar salad and said it was nearly the same that he got in the dining room.  Main course - my son did enjoy his lobster, my husband did enjoy his filet, but is was overcooked, and not tender like one would expect a filet - and no one checked on us sans us flagging down someone walking by.  The lamb was completely forgettable.  Flavor non existent until I found the salt shaker.  Also overcooked, but not as much as the filet.  And almost cold, but very tender.  The mac and cheese side had no flavor, but pasta was al dente.  The garlic rapini was outstanding, great flavor.  The yukon wasabi mash was also very good.  Pretty sad when the sides are better than the star of the dish.  

Dessert - we opted for the "art in dessert" presentation - No more opportunities to send us something with no flavor, right?  The presentation was outstanding, and the flavors were great!  Not a typical dessert - a chef will come to your table and present this on the spot.  Definitely worth a try.  And we enjoyed this very much - enjoyed this the most of the whole service-less dinner.

No, they weren't busy when we got there. At all.  When we left, they appeared to be hopping.

Very Very disappointed - Standard and Basic service issues that should not have been a problem.  We actually had better tableside service at the buffet....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, marci4tony said:

Firstly, the service was almost non-existent.  We were treated like we were an afterthought - the reception was "preoccupied with something else" - we were seated and it took quite a while for anyone to even acknowledge us.  We were handed menus, and then again, waited a great deal of time just to even get water.  My husband physically went up to the bar for bar service.  By him doing so, he was up and back with drinks before we got water.  We were served by three different people and the only time anyone followed up with the standard "how is everything" was halfway through the main course.  Water glasses were not refilled, and I finally stopped someone walking by to see if they'd leave their water pitcher.

Secondly, the food was ok but not the upscale quality we expected.  I am a foodie, but I am also a realist.  I was not expecting a Michelin Star experience but Texas Roadhouse service would have been nice.  The bread selection was interesting - The appetizers were sad.  The Bisque - usually my favorite - had no flavor.  None.  And was lukewarm at best after the wait person poured the soup in the bowl.  The shrimp cocktail was ok, but had more guacamole than shrimp.  (The guac was very good - I'd have asked for chips with that and eaten that all night!)  But the cocktail sauce tasted "off" and my husband did NOT like it.  My son had a Caesar salad and said it was nearly the same that he got in the dining room.  Main course - my son did enjoy his lobster, my husband did enjoy his filet, but is was overcooked, and not tender like one would expect a filet - and no one checked on us sans us flagging down someone walking by.  The lamb was completely forgettable.  Flavor non existent until I found the salt shaker.  Also overcooked, but not as much as the filet.  And almost cold, but very tender.  The mac and cheese side had no flavor, but pasta was al dente.  The garlic rapini was outstanding, great flavor.  The yukon wasabi mash was also very good.  Pretty sad when the sides are better than the star of the dish.  

Dessert - we opted for the "art in dessert" presentation - No more opportunities to send us something with no flavor, right?  The presentation was outstanding, and the flavors were great!  Not a typical dessert - a chef will come to your table and present this on the spot.  Definitely worth a try.  And we enjoyed this very much - enjoyed this the most of the whole service-less dinner.

No, they weren't busy when we got there. At all.  When we left, they appeared to be hopping.

Very Very disappointed - Standard and Basic service issues that should not have been a problem.  We actually had better tableside service at the buffet....

Wow

Edited by jimbo5544

We also had mediocre at best service when we went.  Portions were generous (actually too large) and better than MDR, but over-seasoned and fatty (versus well marbled).  We would have preferred smaller courses of truly stellar food and quality service over being uncomfortably full (or wasting food) and lackluster staff.

I'm glad most others had a positive experience, but they obviously have off nights too.

22 hours ago, marci4tony said:

Sorry that you didn't have a good experience at the Steakhouse. We have eaten there a couple of dozen times over the years on many of the Carnival ships that have them, and the vast majority of the time the service and food has been stellar. We had service issues one time, but not to the extent that you had. One time Patti's lobster was questionable and she wouldn't eat it. They brought another which looked the same and again she wouldn't eat it. They took $20 off the bill, and that was the only time we've ever had a food issue. I hope you will give them another try but would understand if you decide not too.😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We also had mediocre at best service when we went.  Portions were generous (actually too large) and better than MDR, but over-seasoned and fatty (versus well marbled).  We would have preferred smaller courses of truly stellar food and quality service over being uncomfortably full (or wasting food) and lackluster staff.

I'm glad most others had a positive experience, but they obviously have off nights too.

What steak did you have? We always get the Filet. NEVER disappointed. Any land based steak house does not come close. From beginning to end. Worth every penny. Sorry to hear many have had problems and are dissatisfied. However after all the cruise lines and ships we have cruised on. None come even close to Carnivals steak house. Prince included. $38.00 including the gratuity. First night and sometimes the second. Free bottle of wine which we happen to like and enjoy. So as they always say. To each there own. I do agree. They do give you a lot to eat. My wife always gets the Cheese cake. It is super big. She takes it to the room and puts it in the fridge. It lasts her three evenings. The staff could not have been nicer. 

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Seems as though the majority have enjoyed their experience. We know food can be subjective. E.g. over the past 8 yrs, we've cruised 3 different lines...RCCL, NCL & Carnival. People complain in reviews and on these CC boards about the food and service on each of these lines. I'm no celebrity chef, but my husband and I have Italian parents, and so we do enjoy cooking and baking our own meals from scratch. We have enjoyed each line (MDR only) thus far....never gone to specialty yet...and each line impressed us equally and in their own way....including our kids, who enjoy trying new dishes (9 & 11). I get it...lots of fats, shortcuts and corners happen when feeding 4000+, but overall, the value on these lines has pleased us. We are thinking to branch out for our August 2020 cruise on the Breeze...and the steakhouse was looking pretty promising....how about Cucina Del Capitano? Is the marinara and meat sauce authentic? The reviews on YOUTUBE look great....but being ones who can our own tomato sauce each September, wondering what thoughts are on this?

On 12/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, marci4tony said:

We had such stellar wait staff in the dining room, I would consider paying the "upcharge" for those dishes to be served in MDR next time.

We too had a not so great experience with our one visit to the steakhouse, but my family members and I who have ordered steakhouse selections in the MDR have not been disappointed with them.  

4 hours ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Thanks to all who replied to my post. Seems as though the majority have enjoyed their experience. We know food can be subjective. E.g. over the past 8 yrs, we've cruised 3 different lines...RCCL, NCL & Carnival. People complain in reviews and on these CC boards about the food and service on each of these lines. I'm no celebrity chef, but my husband and I have Italian parents, and so we do enjoy cooking and baking our own meals from scratch. We have enjoyed each line (MDR only) thus far....never gone to specialty yet...and each line impressed us equally and in their own way....including our kids, who enjoy trying new dishes (9 & 11). I get it...lots of fats, shortcuts and corners happen when feeding 4000+, but overall, the value on these lines has pleased us. We are thinking to branch out for our August 2020 cruise on the Breeze...and the steakhouse was looking pretty promising....how about Cucina Del Capitano? Is the marinara and meat sauce authentic? The reviews on YOUTUBE look great....but being ones who can our own tomato sauce each September, wondering what thoughts are on this?

We thoroughly enjoyed Cucina on the Sunshine back in April, plenty of good food and well worth the $15 per person for dinner. The included lunch options were good too. 

59667124_10162025300140495_8259203770697646080_n.jpg.a320c72be8e81483721e1645a2d8f354.jpg59838131_10162025300045495_7925069157748441088_n.jpg.16952fa29945aae178eda31732c86586.jpg

On 12/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, ed01106 said:

IMHO the comparison to land based steakhouses for value misses the fact that I already paid for what should be a nice restaurant meal in the MDR.  

Steak in the dining room is usually good. However it is not the prime cut as in the steak house. That is why people who enjoy a prime steak dinner will pay for that steak and not eat the one in the dining room. So you say the steak in the MDR is fine for you. I agree, no reason to pay extra. After many cruises we decided never to eat in the MDR again. Caused us time and again to get terrible seats or late for a show. What a waste of time. So many things to do other than wait for my food. Which we may or may not like when I eventually get it. The buffet has a lot of the same items as in the MDR. Plus a lot of other choices and we do some specialty restaurants for us. Many may not know this. You can order a steak or anything they offer in the MDR in the buffet. It arrives in less than 10 min. So as they say. To each there own.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, coevan said:

$38 for a 5 course dinner?  Again the steak alone at Ruth's Chris is close to $50

But are they comparable quality? I've eaten quite a few meals at Ruth's Chris and found them to be simply overpriced. I can get the same quality steak at The Keg and pay $40 for the entire meal.

19 hours ago, schazzy said:

We thoroughly enjoyed Cucina on the Sunshine back in April, plenty of good food and well worth the $15 per person for dinner. The included lunch options were good too. 

59667124_10162025300140495_8259203770697646080_n.jpg.a320c72be8e81483721e1645a2d8f354.jpg59838131_10162025300045495_7925069157748441088_n.jpg.16952fa29945aae178eda31732c86586.jpg

Thanks for sharing these photos. Is that some sort of cheese pizza in your pics, or chicken parmigiana? Looks tasty!

I have experienced the steakhouse on 3 different occasions and I think it's absolutely worth it. The food has always been very good. The restaurant provides a nice, relaxed atmosphere. 

The only negative remarks I have are from my last cruise. Nothing major, but after receiving our menus, we waited quite a long time before someone came to to take our order. I also had to remind the waiter that no one had taken our drink order yet (we ordered a bottle of wine since it was 50% off). I think they maybe forgot who would be tending our table. After that though, the waitstaff was very attentive, as usual.

10 hours ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

Thanks for sharing these photos. Is that some sort of cheese pizza in your pics, or chicken parmigiana? Looks tasty!

It's chicken parmigiana, it was huge and DH whom is a chicken parmigiana connoisseur said it was excellent. The second picture is the tomahawk pork chop and it was amazing! 

35 minutes ago, schazzy said:

It's chicken parmigiana, it was huge and DH whom is a chicken parmigiana connoisseur said it was excellent. The second picture is the tomahawk pork chop and it was amazing! 

Wow - great to know. Thank you for your feedback. My DH and I really appreciate it! 

On 12/27/2019 at 12:20 PM, coevan said:

I have never seen guacamole in the Steakhouse. Is this a new thing? 

There is a creamy, green topping on the shrimp cocktail.  That is likely the guacamole (or at least minced avocado).

On 12/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, twodaywonder said:

What steak did you have? We always get the Filet. NEVER disappointed. Any land based steak house does not come close. From beginning to end. Worth every penny. Sorry to hear many have had problems and are dissatisfied. However after all the cruise lines and ships we have cruised on. None come even close to Carnivals steak house. Prince included. $38.00 including the gratuity. First night and sometimes the second. Free bottle of wine which we happen to like and enjoy. So as they always say. To each there own. I do agree. They do give you a lot to eat. My wife always gets the Cheese cake. It is super big. She takes it to the room and puts it in the fridge. It lasts her three evenings. The staff could not have been nicer. 

I don't remember which I had, but know it wasn't filet.  DH had the Cowboy which should be marbled, not fatty. 

The best meal we've had at sea bar none was Winemaker Table on Regal Princess: $40 per person and was sort of a cross between steak house and chef table (steakhouse style menu but preset, and private space for 12).  We had an amuse bouche, bread, soup,  gnocchi, filet, and dessert - plus cocktail to start the meal, bottomless white wine with the soup and gnocchi, bottomless red wine with the filet, and bottomless limoncillo with dessert.  The dessert was the only "meh" option, and likely just because of how full we were.  I realize other specialty restaurants will likely not match that experience, but I do expect closer to it than MDR.