Is it time to introduce a new loyalty tier?

ian441672

Hi

Been pondering this for a while now, and think with the apparent saturation of Elite's on many cruises and some comments from people that this makes it feel devalued, is it time to introduce an 'Elite Plus' tier? I know Celebrity have such a thing with a better offering for their very top tier, but what could ours be called? Also, what benefits could/should they add (on top of Elite, or devalue the existing Elite and add these and more on to the 'new' tier); what could the qualification be for it?

Has/Is this being deliberated by the powers that be right now do you think; is it a priority for Princess at all?

Just interested in peoples views, opinions, thoughts and ideas really!

Thanks and best wishes for a happy holiday season to you all!

Edited by ian441672
spacing in title
  • Like 1

There are no more benefits to give without removing them from Elite. There are loyalty on board credits starting at the 21st cruise.

• From your 21st to 31th cruise - $25 onboard cabin credit

• From your 32st to 41th cruise - $50 onboard cabin credit

• From your 42nd to 51th cruise - $75 onboard cabin credit

• From your 52nd cruise on - $100 onboard cabin credit

• Like 6

Just now, denmarks said:

There are no more benefits to give without removing them from Elite. There are loyalty on board credits starting at the 21st cruise.

I was thinking as an ultra benefit (Celebrity offers), a free drinks package, or even a 7 day free cruise (or heavily discounted). I'm sure there is plenty available that could entice (free speciality dining, unlimited wifi etc). I always get cross that I can spend $15000 on a nice suite yet they still don't throw in a free drinks package for me. It would cost them next to nothing, but buy an enormous amount of goodwill.

• Like 3

No this isn't a priority for Princess. They have no desire to give more items for free out.

This has been brought up quite a few times on the board and with Captain Circle hosts. They have recommended items but nothing ever happens.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

It’s normal for people to want more free stuff.

But I will never understand how people can feel something is “devalued” just because someone else also gets it. Do they just not feel special enough?

THIS.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, denmarks said:

IMHO Princess sort of did added tiers by adding extra OBC based on # of cruises

18 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

You can spend that $15,000 anywhere.  But you decided to spend it with Princess for whatever reasons you had.  That's really all there is to say.

Oh I get that. I can spend it anywhere, and this January I am spending it with Celebrity, where as I could have spent it with Princess if I got a drinks package. Just saying.

I'm sure my $$, or lack if it now, won't break Princess's back, but they could have had it, plus perhaps many others, which all adds up.

• Like 2

Heck I have got a 16 day cruise in a full suite with drink package and paid gratuities for 2 for $11,000.  I feel it is a great deal. And yes I am elite so 2 bar set ups also. In fact I have several cruises book with those perks from 14 - 20 days and none are costing me $15,000

• Like 3

I think an elite plus benefit would be nice.  It wouldn't have to be anything big ...just a small token would be nice.  Maybe something like free coffees at the IC or a picture or two on top of the benefits they already provide.  I would say after 25 cruises on Princess would be a fair point to start this level.  Of course, I am happy with the benefits we already receive, although I never ever use the free laundry benefit.   Maybe if I could trade that in for a free specialty dinner for two, that would be appreciated.  I do make full use of my free mini bar set up, though unless I have the beverage package as a booking perk and the loyalty OBC is a very nice benefit as well.  

I never like to look a gift horse in the mouth, though ... so, if they decide to add anything, I'd be happy but also happy as it is.  

• Like 5

It's past time for Princess to recognize those passengers with 50 or more cruise credits. I would like to see a section reserved in the theatre for shows for this new tier which is what RCL has that is so attractive. I also get as a D+ tier  a choice of some gifts like a bottle of wine or a nice zippered tote bag or beach towel. Princess lags in it's loyalty program IMHO.  

• Like 2

What's the math?

I am certain Princess will add loyalty benefits when it benefits them. Are they having a problem selling cabins? NOT!

I am at a loss to think of what would motivate them to give away 'free stuff', since they ARE in business. 

I am elite, and very pleased with the benefits from that, but I am certain when it seems likely to profit them, they will add further enticements. I will be glad to receive them, but am not a threat to leave them for now. Good luck searching for the  'just the right cruise line' for your desires. Princess is the most consistently high quality line in my price range as far as service, food, and other amenities are concerned. I am content.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ian441672 said:

I was thinking as an ultra benefit (Celebrity offers), a free drinks package, or even a 7 day free cruise (or heavily discounted). I'm sure there is plenty available that could entice (free speciality dining, unlimited wifi etc). I always get cross that I can spend $15000 on a nice suite yet they still don't throw in a free drinks package for me. It would cost them next to nothing, but buy an enormous amount of goodwill.

Princess doesn't have to offer elites plus anything, Princess knows you'll stay loyal.  To start over with a new cruise line takes more time and money that I am willing to spend.  I don't cruise for the perks for elites.  I think Princess can do more for the past guest Captain's party than just a jar of stale peanuts and watered down drinks.  $500,000+ spent and that's all the thanks we get?  /just saying

One goal of a loyalty program is to keep you loyal, especially by holding out future benefits for your continued patronage. But if you have reached the top and there is nothing more to "strive" for, the program loses some of its original mission.  People will wander off and try other brands to see what's available, knowing they have reached the pinnacle of the Princess program and can always return to those benefits. Something creative and new needs to be inserted here -- the market is constantly changing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I think that captures things appropriately.  It's surprising that for many non-suite cruisers, it probably would take less than $10K to become elite. For something as costly as cruising, that doesn't sound like much.  The fairest way to do it would be the way virtually all rewards based programs work and that is by revenue. But I'm not sure if it would be a bit unseemly for cruiselines to have tiers that advertise something like:

$0-$5000 Bronze

$5000-$10000 Silver

$10000-$25000 Gold

$25000-$50000 Platinum

$50000-$100000 Elite

and so forth

This may open a can a worms for the cruiselines but maybe a 1-2% OBC credit, that is never refundable, but rolls over for future usage.  Then one could start a cruise savings account of sorts which would force them to be loyal.

The rollover account is a brilliant idea!

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

Oh I get that. I can spend it anywhere, and this January I am spending it with Celebrity, where as I could have spent it with Princess if I got a drinks package. Just saying.

I'm sure my $$, or lack if it now, won't break Princess's back, but they could have had it, plus perhaps many others, which all adds up.

FYI, you only get a free drink package on X on their highest tier (Zenith) and not with Elite Plus, but you do get points depending on the type of cabin you sail in. X have just back-peddled on charging extra if you choose the beverage package as a ‘free’ perk as there were so many complaints.

I think the main point is: do you cruise for loyalty points or actually because you enjoy a product and the vacation it provides? We are at a level on X where we do obtain some nice perks, however, we still cruise on other lines because of the itineraries they offer. I have been amazed on the X board to read posts from pax stating that they’d love to try other cruising regions across the world but don’t because they’d have to sail on another line without their Elite benefits. Why limit yourself to wonderful experiences for a few free drinks or laundry?

• Like 2

Many years ago British P&O offered their upper level a 10% discount on all purchases including bar--We had reached that level and then P&O decided to add a provision that one had to cruise more often to maintain the level--In other  words "Use it or lose it" 🙂

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Princess needs to get rid of counting the number of cruises someone takes and simply go with accumulated cruise days to determine Captain's Circle loyalty status. It just doesn't seem right that someone can go on a 25 day (non b2b) cruise in a suite and get the same number of credits as a 1 day cruise in a suite. 

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Princess needs to get rid of counting the number of cruises someone takes and simply go with accumulated cruise days to determine Captain's Circle loyalty status. It just doesn't seem right that someone can go on a 25 day (non b2b) cruise in a suite and get the same number of credits as a 1 day cruise in a suite. 

You are probably less in the minority  than you might think.  I've seen a lot of complaints about those taking 1 or 2 day sailings to achieve their status.  

And, many lines are moving towards a point system which goes off of number of days cruised plus multipliers for your room type.  It represents your status a lot better but, wow ... is there ever push back when they go to change over to that system.  Someone is always disgruntled for about a year ... then, when the dust settles, it is a more equitable system.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, elliair said:

Princess doesn't have to offer elites plus anything, Princess knows you'll stay loyal.  

Not true, I'm a Diamond Plus on RCL and I do compare all things, perks, price and ports when I decide which ship to sail on. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You are probably less in the minority  than you might think.  I've seen a lot of complaints about those taking 1 or 2 day sailings to achieve their status.  

And, many lines are moving towards a point system which goes off of number of days cruised plus multipliers for your room type.  It represents your status a lot better but, wow ... is there ever push back when they go to change over to that system.  Someone is always disgruntled for about a year ... then, when the dust settles, it is a more equitable system.  

I remember when Celebrity did the change over and was very generous when they converted our sole 7 day cruise in a regular balcony from 1 cruise to 30 points where we should have only received 21 points (7 days x 3 points). I would hope Princess would do the same if they ever decided to go to a single system like X or maybe even a cruise day points + points for money spent type of system like HAL does. 

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I remember when Celebrity did the change over and was very generous when they converted our sole 7 day cruise in a regular balcony from 1 cruise to 30 points where we should have only received 21 points (7 days x 3 points). I would hope Princess would do the same if they ever decided to go to a single system like X or maybe even a cruise day points + points for money spent type of system like HAL does. 

They did the same for me on Celebrity.  They added another 45 points to my account so it would only take a 7 night sailing in a balcony to attain my elite status. I think they added it based on how far away you were to that magic number to the next level.  I was happy because right after my next sailing, I would attain elite status ....  so it worked out well for us.  

But, I read about others that were mad because they had booked several 3 or 4 day sailings in CC and then it just wouldn't get them to elite as they had once planned.  Ohhhh the outrage on the Celebrity boards was palpable ... do you remember that???