Cruise Critic Community
ian441672

Is it time to introduce a new loyalty tier?

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

No extra money but you're suggesting that the rest of the PAX at lower CC levels pay the price by giving up their theater seats, seats in tenders, a nice table in MDR and whatever else we might have that you would want.  And you may wonder why sometimes other PAX react poorly to elites who think they're something special.

Why not? They've earned it over the years by sailing Princess more than the others. Who really cares what the lower class people think if an Elite get preference to tender seat? 

Let them earn their way just like the rest of us.

11 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I don't think Princess is likely to offer significant financial awards to a new category. Perks 

might include things like:

Priority seating for shows.

Priority boarding for tendering back to ship.

Priority seating for dining room with Anytime Dining or

Priority table assignment for Traditional.

Priority embarkation

Note that none of them cost Princess any money

New category should require at least 500 days.

The difficulty is that these are mostly very public things. The Elite perks as they stand are more or less out of sight of the non-Elite, excluding priority check-in, in which you aren't on the ship yet. They don't really see the priority tendering, minibar, etc. That might not be the atmosphere Princess wants to see.

Edited by Wehwalt

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Why not? They've earned it over the years by sailing Princess more than the others. Who really cares what the lower class people think if an Elite get preference to tender seat? 

Wow.  Just, wow.

18 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Wow.  Just, wow.

Some feel entitled just because they spend more than others.  It's quite funny that it's still a thing in 2019.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Sarcasm?

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

Wow.  Just, wow.

So your thinking is that the more dedicated customers shouldn't deserve something more. 

I guess by your standards everyone should get the same benefits even though they haven't sailed Princess as many times.

Sounds like some of the politicians I've been listening to lately.  

47 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Some feel entitled just because they spend more than others.  It's quite funny that it's still a thing in 2019.

It's not that we spend more than others (I'm sure we don't) but simply the fact that were dedicated to certain cruise lines and deserve more perks than others with less sailing days. 

Not hard to understand. 

15 minutes ago, I Love Cruising 3 said:

It's not that we spend more than others (I'm sure we don't) but simply the fact that were dedicated to certain cruise lines and deserve more perks than others with less sailing days. 

Not hard to understand. 

I guess I'm wrong then.   I thought elite did get more perks than non elites already.  My apologies.

Edited by kywildcatfanone

14 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I don't think Princess is likely to offer significant financial awards to a new category. Perks 

might include things like:

Priority seating for shows.

Priority boarding for tendering back to ship.

Priority seating for dining room with Anytime Dining or

Priority table assignment for Traditional.

Priority embarkation

Note that none of them cost Princess any money

New category should require at least 500 days.

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

The difficulty is that these are mostly very public things. The Elite perks as they stand are more or less out of sight of the non-Elite, excluding priority check-in, in which you aren't on the ship yet. They don't really see the priority tendering, minibar, etc. That might not be the atmosphere Princess wants to see.

Almost all of the above items (except for Priority seating for shows) could be made inconspicuous from the cruising public so no one would feel slighted. Just look what they did when they added Club Class a year or so ago. It had to slow things down for the regular pax & today they don't even realize it even though the dining wait times are longer. 

If they made the number high enough to receive the added perks it could be adjusted to include only 10 or 20 people at most. 

3 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

More tier levels!!!!! More Free Stuff!!!! We will never be satisfied!!!! 

When & if you ever get there you might change your opinion. 

How about a level like Holland American, 1400 days to join a special group theirs is called 

the President's Club.  Give all who want something more, something to work towards.  

Here's a thought for those that think the Elite benefits are insufficient.  Don't cruise or cruise another line.  It really is that simple.  Nothing is more annoying then people who agree to buy something and then complain that they don't get enough even when they know exactly what they're getting going in.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

When & if you ever get there you might change your opinion. 

Having sailed enough to be top-tier on several lines, I simply smile and say “Thank you” for any of the benefits extended for my patronage.

It would never occur to me to say “What - that’s all??”

A brilliant idea would be to chuck “loyalty perks” all together and see who sticks around for the joy of cruising any particular line simply because you enjoy the product/service.

1 minute ago, StolidCruiser said:

Having sailed enough to be top-tier on several lines, I simply smile and say “Thank you” for any of the benefits extended for my patronage.

A brilliant idea would be to chuck “loyalty perks” all together and see who sticks around for the joy of cruising any particular line simply because you enjoy the product/service.

This is the best post yet.

Thought I would list the Captain Circle benefits I appreciate and take advantage of:

Ruby

Princess Platinum Vacation Protection Upgrade

Platinum

Priority Check-In at Embarkation

Platinum Disembarkation Lounge

Complimentary Internet Package

Elite

Priority Ship to Shore Water Shuttle Embarkation

Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services

Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up

10% Discount in the Shops of PrincessComplimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting

If I had none of the perks listed above I would probably continue to book Princess more often than other cruise lines, because of the following reasons:

Sales incentives and promotional Onboard Credit

Future Cruise Credit

Stockholder Credit

Military Credit

Travel Agent Discount and OBC

EZair

So, the Elite benefit is a small reason why I book with Princess. Just my opinion. Actually, I prefer Celebrity and NCL, but they don't have the perks.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Almost all of the above items (except for Priority seating for shows) could be made inconspicuous from the cruising public so no one would feel slighted. 

But it appears some people want to be Elite so they can slight others, the lower class cruisers.

Elites are great at finding deals. They spend almost nothing on the ship itself (excursions, pictures etc.) They know the ins and outs of getting the most for their dollar on Princess. 

Princess revenue generation model means that onboard spending is where Princess generates its real profits. Blue card passengers spend much more on board. I certainly did my first cruise.

Perhaps a reward program that recognized this reality would be in order. Give all the perks to the blue cards and strip these perks away as people sailed more. This might generate more revenue for Princess. Rather than trying to attract people who spend less; Princess would want passengers that spend more on board.😀

In reality though, if Princess doesn't introduce a new level, they could introduce hats or vests that showed the number of days (or number of cruises) each passenger has cruised.  This would not cost Princess very much money and the peons would know their place. When a higher numbered hat or vest came by, we would all have to salute, bow or curtsey. The order would be restored.

2 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

In reality though, if Princess doesn't introduce a new level, they could introduce hats or vests that showed the number of days (or number of cruises) each passenger has cruised.  This would not cost Princess very much money and the peons would know their place. When a higher numbered hat or vest came by, we would all have to salute, bow or curtsey. The order would be restored.

But then Elites would sell those hats on eBay since they can't sell their coffee cards on there anymore.  :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, bcnvcanada said:

How about a level like Holland American, 1400 days to join a special group theirs is called 

the President's Club.  Give all who want something more, something to work towards.  

I like that idea of reaching another level but the 1,400 days does seem a little high. It must be a very exclusive group indeed.

Maybe something like 1,000 days might be more appropriate. 

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

That would only work providing ALL the other cruise lines did something similar to level the playing field. 

53 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

How about cruise it or lose it.  

Sounds like a good idea to me. We cruise enough to maintain a decent level.