Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Tom O.

Questions on Tallinn Old Town

Recommended Posts

On 2/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, Oliver Hansen said:

Hi everyone! We are planning a day on our own in Tallinn, any tips for a lunch except Old Hansa? As we are there in summer I think my family would prefer to sit outside. Based on what I read so far there should be some restaurants/breweries on the main square. Is there any beer gardens somewhere in the center? This should lovely 

I was thinking the same thing, lunch somewhere more casual. And a brewery would be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, Oliver Hansen said:

Based on what I read so far there should be some restaurants/breweries on the main square. Is there any beer gardens somewhere in the center? This should lovely 

There are many restaurants in the historic center - many offer outside seating in the summer. There is a restaurant called Beer Garden but it is not your typical German style Beer Garden (it is not located in the historic center of old town - although it is not far from the center of old town) - you can check it out here:

http://beergarden.ee/en/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

Lots of nice choices in the historic center along Pikk St. and in Raekoja plats (old town square).

 

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oliver Hansen said:

I think we will stay around Pikk and Raekoja. Most important is outside seating (given that the weather is nice of course 😄) and good food, ideally with a glass of beer 😀

Good choice IMHO. You will find lots of options with outdoor seating & good food (+beer, of course).

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 7:40 PM, Oliver Hansen said:

Hi everyone! We are planning a day on our own in Tallinn, any tips for a lunch except Old Hansa? As we are there in summer I think my family would prefer to sit outside. Based on what I read so far there should be some restaurants/breweries on the main square. Is there any beer gardens somewhere in the center? This should lovely 

We were in the brewery called Beer House and it was very good. It is in the old town near the main square

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 5:39 AM, dogs4fun said:

Please note that I rarely check this thread. If you would like a copy of the above mentioned tour, you must email me as I won't be responding to posts on this thread.


dogs4fun, thank you for offering this, but I don’t see your email address anywhere, in fact I see no signatures anywhere (I have checked on both mobile and a laptop)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:


dogs4fun, thank you for offering this, but I don’t see your email address anywhere, in fact I see no signatures anywhere (I have checked on both mobile and a laptop)

You must have your preferences set to hide signatures. Click on the dropdown next to your username (upper right of page), select "account settings", select "signature" (left pane on this page), move "view signatures" tab to the right.

You will now see all signatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

You must have your preferences set to hide signatures. Click on the dropdown next to your username (upper right of page), select "account settings", select "signature" (left pane on this page), move "view signatures" tab to the right.

You will now see all signatures.


Just did all that, it was turned on, but I turned it off, saved, then back on, saved, and it worked! Email sent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:


Just did all that, it was turned on, but I turned it off, saved, then back on, saved, and it worked! Email sent!

Check your mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Check your mail.

Hooray! I finally found you email and sent you a request as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of outdoor spots in many places. We ate at the place on the right.

IMG_4654a.thumb.jpg.ac34b8376aa53fb9f0986506fd1e3a29.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I found the walking tour that we used on our first visit to Tallinn. It provides walking directions from port, hits all of the high points of the old town & includes photos. If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me (address included in signature).

 

Hi - I sent you an email!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I found the walking tour that we used on our first visit to Tallinn. It provides walking directions from port, hits all of the high points of the old town & includes photos. If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me (address included in signature).

 

sorry - double post.  argh

Edited by mjmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mjmiller said:

Hi - I sent you an email!

Check your email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Antic Lover said:

What a fairytale place! Can't believe all these lovely houses are real!

Actually, most were cafes or restaurants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's so interesting! this is Riga's square and I think they are quite alike! Many little European towns have similar architecture so sometimes it's hard to distinguish for a foreign person 

23234.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oliver Hansen said:

This is true, many cities in Europe have something in common when it comes to the architecture. If I am not mistaken, the cities like Riga or Tallinn used to belong to Germany in the past, at least it looks like medieval Germany, or maybe Sweden. So lovely!

It is more complex than this: for example Tallinn's historical affiliations are Kingdom of Denmark, Teutonic Order, Livonian Order (these two have roots in Germany), Kingdom of Sweden, Tsardom of Russia, Russian Empire, Russian Republic, Russian Soviet Republic, Republic of Estonia, Ober Ost (~ German Empire, during WW I), Republic of Estonia, Estonian Soviet Socialist Republic, USSR, German military administration, Reichskommissariat Ostland (during WW II), USSR and finally the independent Republic of Estonia again.

Also Tallinn (and Riga) was member of the  Hanseatic league, which was a mercantile and military alliance of German-dominated cities in Northern Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a search on the internet for self guided walking tour  map of Tallinn. Do it yourself, the cruise port is very close to the gate of the wall city. Once inside, you can stroll around, look at the buildings that you are interested in or not. Caffe are plentiful and you can stop at any shops without being on a structure group. Save your money and spend it on lunch at the former KGB headquarter now a café. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, dogs4fun said:

I found the walking tour that we used on our first visit to Tallinn. It provides walking directions from port, hits all of the high points of the old town & includes photos. If you would like a copy of the PDF, email me (address included in signature).

 

I can't seem to see where your email address is located. I would like a copy of the PDF. Can you please explain where I would find your "Signature"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Moose12345 said:

I can't seem to see where your email address is located. I would like a copy of the PDF. Can you please explain where I would find your "Signature"

Check post #56 above. If you can already view signatures, click on expand signature and you will see my email address link in  RED.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Check post #56 above.

Thank you for that information. It worked! ☺️ And I have sent you an email!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moose12345 said:

Thank you for that information. It worked! ☺️ And I have sent you an email!

Check your email

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...