European Plug Question

Luvcrusn

I have cruised many years and am familiar with the look of the European plug at the desk in X staterooms, but being from the US I've never bothered with it. My trusty multi USB charger that I've used for many years has died and I have purchased a new one that is dual voltage. I want to purchase an adapter plug so that I can plug the USB charging hub (NOT SURGE PROTECTED and meets all ship safety standards) into the European plug and free up the US outlet. When looking online, there are several different types of plug adapters that have 2 prongs, and want to make sure I purchase the correct one. Can anyone advise? Is it strictly listed as European, or French or German? I thank you in advance for your advice.

5 minutes ago, tanzania2015 said:

This one is the one I use.  It has three plug adapters for different countries and will charge 4 devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VFGNYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I just need the adapter plug since I already have the USB dual voltage USB hub. Thanks also @barbette165. Cruise Critic always can be counted on for prompt helpful answers.

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Thanks. I just need the adapter plug since I already have the USB dual voltage USB hub. Thanks also @barbette165. Cruise Critic always can be counted on for prompt helpful answers.

Any Euro plug adapter will work. I usually use the cheap ones like the right one as they actually stay in the ship socket better. The bigger one is in case I have a three pronged US plug that needs an adapter. 

6898B0A2-A3AE-407A-AD40-DCAFAEEED10D.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

Yes, that will work as the ship's outlets require a Type F. Here's a recent thread for additional information:

BTW, as you want to purchase one to use with a multi-port USB charger, do you really need to buy an adapter that has USB ports as well? You can buy a simple adapter that will meet your needs for less money. Alternatively, as the E/F adapter only works in a limited number of countries, you might want to consider a universal adapter that can be used virtually anywhere. Just a thought, in case you might want to use pre- or post-cruise in the UK or other countries where the E/F adapter won't work.

The plug configuration in the picture is what I have found on the M-Class ships but on Edge they have changed it up a bit.   I don't recall if they upgraded these on the Edgification.   They have a 2 prong Continental European 220v Plug.    They also have 2 USB's.    For the 120v the plug can accommodate a UK 3 Prong Plug, U.S. 3 Prong Plug or Continental 2 prong plug.   

The problem with these "cute" boxes around the plug is that you can't plug in many plugs depending on the cord / plug layout

image.png.c80378100cc6c186084977a556e5abfb.png

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The plug configuration in the picture is what I have found on the M-Class ships but on Edge they have changed it up a bit.   I don't recall if they upgraded these on the Edgification.   They have a 2 prong Continental European 220v Plug.    They also have 2 USB's.    For the 120v the plug can accommodate a UK 3 Prong Plug, U.S. 3 Prong Plug or Continental 2 prong plug.   

The problem with these "cute" boxes around the plug is that you can't plug in many plugs depending on the cord / plug layout

And here is yet another reason the Edge and its sister ships are not for me along with the not Inifinite not Verandahs, the uncomfortable furniture and the lack of a table for dining in the rooms. I could never plug in my hair dryer in that cute little annoying box contraption. Not being able to use my Dyson takes at least another 35 minutes to dry my mop and wastes a lot of valuable vacation time daily!

Thanks for all the responses. I don't need an electric converter since the USB  charging device I have is dual voltage, I just need an adapter to plug it into the European plug. That will free up the two American plugs. I just wanted to make sure that the one I listed in my post #2 above would work in the European outlet I've seen for 20+ years and never used.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, that will work as the ship's outlets require a Type F. Here's a recent thread for additional information:

BTW, as you want to purchase one to use with a multi-port USB charger, do you really need to buy an adapter that has USB ports as well? You can buy a simple adapter that will meet your needs for less money. Alternatively, as the E/F adapter only works in a limited number of countries, you might want to consider a universal adapter that can be used virtually anywhere. Just a thought, in case you might want to use pre- or post-cruise in the UK or other countries where the E/F adapter won't work.

I really don't, but by buying the one in my link I get free shipping and that is more than the difference in cost. Crazy but true. Thanks for the tip though. I appreciate it. Thanks to all that replied. It's much easier to get an informed quick answer here than calling X.

21 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

I have one of those also but on Edge due to the location of the USB ports I couldn't use it in one of those boxes because there wasn't enough room.   I guess another Kelly Hopkins form over function issues.   

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have one of those also but on Edge due to the location of the USB ports I couldn't use it in one of those boxes because there wasn't enough room.   I guess another Kelly Hopkins form over function issues.   

If that won't fit in the annoying box then my Dyson plug will definitely not fit. What were they thinking?!

14 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

If that won't fit in the annoying box then my Dyson plug will definitely not fit. What were they thinking?!

I was thinking of getting a couple of these.   My solution of Function over form. 😁

image.png.37f0e1bc20c5fc07f941f1a6c65a780d.png

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was thinking of getting a couple of these.   My solution of Function over form. 😁

image.png.37f0e1bc20c5fc07f941f1a6c65a780d.png

They just might solve the power problem for my Dyson. They look like there wouldn't be a ship safety issue with them and that they'd not get anyone sent to the naughty room. Now if there was only a remedy for the not Infinite not Verandah, uncomfortable furniture and lack of table!

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

They just might solve the power problem for my Dyson. They look like there wouldn't be a ship safety issue with them and that they'd not get anyone sent to the naughty room. Now if there was only a remedy for the not Infinite not Verandah, uncomfortable furniture and lack of table!

Geeze -- you want it all.   LOL.      I think the cords are short enough that there won't be a naughty room issue. 

14 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Before you pack the Dyson just attach one of these to the end of it.  It will just look like one continuous power cord and not like an extra extension cord.

49 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Before you pack the Dyson just attach one of these to the end of it.  It will just look like one continuous power cord and not like an extra extension cord.

Thanks, good idea. Now how do I make the not Infinite not Verandah work?!😜

Oh dear Lord thank you to everyone who posted pictures of the plugs in the staterooms!  I was trying to choose an adapter and seeing those pictures from the rooms helped so much!  I can't believe that someone would have the forethought to snap pictures of the plugs!  This is helping me prepare for my upcoming cruise.  Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this thread.  This info is so timely! 

45 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

UK sockets are 240v.

I definitely know that.   Just stating the fact that the Edge Class ships have a 120v outlet that a UK 3 prong plug can be plugged into.    I would believe with dual voltage gadgets it can be used.    It also accommodates a 2 prong European plug -  again at 120V.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:52 PM, Jim_Iain said:

This box would be specific to the Edge class. It wasn't on the revolutionized Summit. 

10 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

This box would be specific to the Edge class. It wasn't on the revolutionized Summit. 

Agree -  At least the plugs on Summit are easily accessible.    One thing I liked about the revolutionized Summit is the USB ports next to bed and 110v outlet on the base of one lamp.