Coco Cay Skipped

Airbear232

interested in knowing how many times Coco Cay is skipped on itineraries.

we’re currently on the Anthem of the Seas and we’re due on Coco Cay on December 24.  The captain said winds in both Cape Canaveral and Coco Cay are too high for docking safely, so they are substituting Labadee for those two ports.

Safety first always, but this is our fifth Bahamas cruise on RCI and we’ve yet to visit Coco Cay.  We’ve done a similar number of trips on NCL and  visited Grand Stirrup Cay each time.  What I want to know is have we just had poor luck or does Royal skip Coco Cay a lot.  I thought with the investment that they would have made the island safe for landing except in very bad conditions.  I didn’t think you’d have these conditions at this time of year.

Lokkibg for others perspectives. 

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

interested in knowing how many times Coco Cay is skipped on itineraries.

we’re currently on the Anthem of the Seas and we’re due on Coco Cay on December 24.  The captain said winds in both Cape Canaveral and Coco Cay are too high for docking safely, so they are substituting Labadee for those two ports.

Safety first always, but this is our fifth Bahamas cruise on RCI and we’ve yet to visit Coco Cay.  We’ve done a similar number of trips on NCL and  visited Grand Stirrup Cay each time.  What I want to know is have we just had poor luck or does Royal skip Coco Cay a lot.  I thought with the investment that they would have made the island safe for landing except in very bad conditions.  I didn’t think you’d have these conditions at this time of year.

Lokkibg for others perspectives. 

I have had all three calls to Coco Cay skipped. That was before the dock was built. They will only skip if weather conditions are bad. They make a lot of money making the visit.Safety has to come first.  Schedualed again in a few weeks. Have also had Grand Stirrup Cay skipped one out of three and Princess Cay skipped two out of four. Having a dock does not mean they won't have to cancel if the weather is bad. They don't want to wreck the dock or ship. I have had a bunch of ports with docks skipped. Costa Maya, Nassau and Key West. Carnival probably wishes their two ships calling a few days ago to Cozumel was cancelled. 

Edited by Charles4515

We didn't go to CoCo Cay because of winds but spent the night in Nassau.

(Had been there before.)

The time in Nassau turned out to be better than expected.  We had

one afternoon to go to the Melia and the next day to go to the Blue Lagoon.

We stayed on the ship at night.

I don’t think coco cay is skipped much anymore unless it’s really necessary - they even give OBC often if it’s skipped now.   

But considering the winds were so bad that one ship crashed into another in Cozumel a few days ago - I’m sure that caution is the right thing to do this time.  

Considering the alternatives - I think Labadee is a good alternative to those ports!    I would assume that if Anthem is skipping - others will as well that day?

The pier is on the side of the island that gets the waves and wind.  When we visited a few weeks ago, I was actually a bit surprised we docked.  But we did.  And no ships at GSC as tendering would not have been possible. 

We were at Coco Cay on the 23rd and noticed that the other ship that was supposed to be there (thought it was Anthem) did not make it.  It rained in the morning and we headed to the island around 11 am.  After lunch it rained like a monsoon and we went running back to the ship.