Help - formatting videos for use on iPhone

Hi all, 

I have many years of digital videos but I can’t load any of them to my iPhone. Is there a way to reformat them so I can download to my phone? Most are mvi or mov files if that makes any difference.  I have used window movie maker to make a couple of cruise videos but they are huge and take hours to load to google Drive, so it is still not actually on the phone but usable with it  Here is one video. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ns7Sujm2fwSkQycEo2VE5qUTA/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks

Amanda

Apple doesn't make it a very easy process to put pictures and videos back ON an iPhone. When I want to add pictures from my computer to my Camera Roll, I'll usually use Dropbox. I'll save them in Dropbox, open them in Dropbox on my phone, and save to my Camera Roll. But that's just a cloud service like Google Drive, so you'd run into the same problem with large files.

I also have an app called Phone Drive. It allows you to store files as if your iPhone was a flash drive. I plug my phone into the computer and open iTunes. In iTunes, I go to Phone Drive and add files from my computer. That adds them to the Phone Drive app on the phone. From there, I can save them to the phone's Camera Roll. I don't know how that would handle large files, though.

What do you want them on your iPhone for? Are you just wanting to share them? If so, it'd probably be easier just to create a YouTube account and upload them to there.

The best thing to do if you want to transfer files between your PC and the iphone is get some kind of iphone/ipad usb flash drive like those sandisk xpander flash drive. one end is a regular usb stick you plug into a pc, and the other end is a lighting port for the iphone/ipad

this is what i use when i transfer documents between my ipad and my pc

37 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The best thing to do if you want to transfer files between your PC and the iphone is get some kind of iphone/ipad usb flash drive like those sandisk xpander flash drive. one end is a regular usb stick you plug into a pc, and the other end is a lighting port for the iphone/ipad

this is what i use when i transfer documents between my ipad and my pc

That's a good idea. I completely forgot about those. My aunt bought one to make it easier to move pictures from her iPhone to the computer, so I had to show her how to use it. But I didn't get to play with it much. Does it allow transfers in both directions?

Thanks for all the new responses.

The photos sync quickly without issue regardless of what camera I used.   I have an SD card reader to easily upload camera photos to the phone but it doesn’t even show the videos to upload. 

The main reason for having the videos on the iPhone is to share with teenage daughter.  She uses some type of software to make videos and tiktoks.  A lot of her friends are in the videos throughout the years so she would like to share them too. I will try some of these suggestions over my Christmas break.  

So I tried some of the suggestions.  The video smaller could not support the AVI files.  The phone drive and VLC player were both easy to use thru iTunes to add the files.  Once on the phone drive, I could not save the video to the photo gallery or do anything except view it. With VLC, I could save or send a good portion of the files but not all of them. My fix for this was to send all the VLC videos to the cloud (which was quick) then use the iCloud website to upload the other videos that the VLC couldn’t handle (which was a slow process).  

I really appreciate y’all taking the time to help me find a solution.  Thank you.

Amanda 

22 hours ago, Willwork4cruises said:

So I tried some of the suggestions.  The video smaller could not support the AVI files.  The phone drive and VLC player were both easy to use thru iTunes to add the files.  Once on the phone drive, I could not save the video to the photo gallery or do anything except view it. With VLC, I could save or send a good portion of the files but not all of them. My fix for this was to send all the VLC videos to the cloud (which was quick) then use the iCloud website to upload the other videos that the VLC couldn’t handle (which was a slow process).  

I really appreciate y’all taking the time to help me find a solution.  Thank you.

Amanda 

I just tested using Phone Drive on mine. I used a video that was handy, just under 300 MB in size. It took about 5-10 seconds to load it into Phone Drive (bigger files will obviously take longer), but once there, I was able to easily save it to my iPhone's Camera Roll. You have to be sure to give Phone Drive permission to save files to your Camera Roll. It should pop up when you first use it and ask for permission, but if not, go to Settings...Privacy...Photos and see if Phone Drive has permission. Change it from Never to Add Photos Only.

With that said, I'm guessing you're using Phone Drive Lite, since it's free. There's a premium version, which is what I have, but when I looked, it said the only difference was that the Lite version only allowed saving 10 files within Phone Drive. That shouldn't affect you since you'd be moving them to your Camera Roll. But maybe it's possible that the Lite version, if that is what you tried, has a file size limit. I don't know. See if Phone Drive has permission to save files to your Camera Roll first. If it doesn't, then that's where it was stopping you.

To save files from the Phone Drive app to your Camera Roll, click "Edit" in Phone Drive. Tap the file you want to move to highlight it. At the bottom, there's a button that kind of looks like a chat bubble. It's square with an arrow at the bottom. Once the file is highlighted, tap that button and choose "Save to Library."

If all else fails, you may just have to use your long workaround. In the end, whatever gets the job done.