Gee - No more Love Boat Theme

Oceansaway17

23 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The Royal couldn't play it in Alaska either.  I missed it - that always makes me smile!

By the way, the Disney ships used to play "When You Wish Upon a Star" when leaving Port Canaveral.  Our friends have a condo very near the Jetty where the ships come out and apparently many residents complained and Disney had to stop playing it too.  Our friends weren't part of that group - they enjoyed hearing it.

So many things have to be eliminated because someone is bothered/offended.

On the Regal last year (Sept 2018) we did it every second port I think - LOVED IT. I was a kid when the show was on and not allowed to watch it due to 'adult content' so hearing the Love Boat theme was awesome for me. I even watched all the episodes they have on the TV. Hope to hear that horn on the twin ship - Royal - in a few months on my way to Alaska!

1 hour ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Like those who buy a home near an airport (convenient) and then complain about the noise.

Understood, but you've got to admit the ships horns have gotten much louder/longer in past years & now have become something of entertainment instead of a warning. 

In the steamship age that preceded today’s modern cruise ships, it was common for ships large and small to give a whistle salute to the great liners as they passed at sea or in port.

And the liners returned every greeting with a blast of their steam chime or tyfon horns.

A mighty steam tyfon  will make today’s horns pale in comparison.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

There are some ports that prohibit the use of even the regular horn when departing, nothing new there.

Seems kind of silly to buy a condo next to a deep water port and then complain about ship’s horns though.......

Boy, isn't that the truth.  Kind of like buying a home near a airport that has been there for decades and then complaining about aircraft noise!

Tom

On 12/23/2019 at 6:31 AM, K.T.B. said:

Carnival still does!  Which is one of the reasons I no longer sail on Carnival.  I rue the day that I even sailed on a Carnival ship back in March.  WORST cruise I've ever been on.  I prefer Celebrity, but I am taking Princess for the itinerary I want in 2021.  I'd rather have my "cheese" on a pizza, thank you. :classic_tongue:

Holland-America does their muster drill on deck also.

Tom

Currently on Sky and have heard it as we’ve left each port, as late as yesterday when we heard it upon leaving Grand Cayman. In fact, the whole extended family made a point to be on Lido so that my brother, who’s never heard it, could record it on his phone.

Being a child of the 70’s and a viewer of all things Aaron Spelling back in the day, I get goosebumps every time I hear it. And a lump in my throat. For some, it might be a silly, annoying tune; for others, it’s a nostalgic piece of Americana that brings so many of us back to a far different time in our lives. For me, reminds me of my little immigrant self, not quite feeling like I belonged, having this great escape for an hour a week where I imagined myself on a big ship in the ocean, but knowing that it could never possibly happen. Guess what...😉😉😉

That little kid is sitting on her balcony, hoping for that horn as we depart Belize. And will definitely be getting a lump in her throat if it happens. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

The Captain announced a while ago he was going to blow it when the Breeze was leaving, but I don't think I heard it if he did, or they haven't left yet.

We heard it and recorded it again 👍🏼. Was a bit confusing at first as we wondered if we were leaving early, until we saw the Sky mine. We had missed the announcement

On 12/23/2019 at 9:27 AM, MissP22 said:

Some people just are stuck in the 70's and can't move on. 😋

On 12/24/2019 at 10:51 AM, MissP22 said:

I wonder how the people that live on the inlet in Ft Lauderdale feel about it. 😒

Seriously...you just have to jab / seagull at everything. Sad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

YEA TODAY the SKY played the song out of Ft lauderdale.  didn't do it last week.

Very happy

sorry for earlier empty message, this site was acting up or my fingers were so excited they lost their mind.

Happy New Years everyone   - EXCITING and new...……..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

YEA TODAY the SKY played the song out of Ft lauderdale.  didn't do it last week.

Very happy

sorry for earlier empty message, this site was acting up or my fingers were so excited they lost their mind.

Happy New Years everyone   - EXCITING and new...……..

There's the spirit, Wonderful !  

• Like 1

still got the spirit today as the Regal Princess blew the horn.

In fact PTZ zero'd on the large TV and the cruise director announcing the horn to the guests.

So I guess the new Years cruises like the horn better than the Christmas cruises last week.

toodles all.  I have  to wait until July to catch the new sky out of Copenhagen.  Can't wait to see the Baltics again.  thanks for all your comments for and against the Love Boat theme.

• Like 1