Gee - No more Love Boat Theme

Oceansaway17

Was on Majestic for it's Maiden Voyage from Singapore to Shanghai and it was played on our 9 Ports of Call.  As we sail away, cheers were heard from the Pier and onboard the ship.  The ship's Second Watch Officer Grant was responsible to play it three times and he said he had a blast, every time he did it.  

• Like 1

The only port that I know of where Princess is actually prohibited prohibited from playing The Love Boat is Seattle. Apparently some people who used to live up on the hills overlooking Pier 91 (and maybe still do, I don't know) where Princess docks didn't like hearing the song and talked the city council or port agency or someone into prohibiting such playing by arriving or departing ships.  There may very well be other such cities to do it also, I don't know of any though.

Tom

I just got off the Pacific Princess yesterday, and in an interview a few days before that, the question came up to Captain Goran. He stated that the Pacific Princess does not have the capability to play that theme, or any other one.

39 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

The only port that I know of where Princess is actually prohibited prohibited from playing The Love Boat is Seattle. Apparently some people who used to live up on the hills overlooking Pier 91 (and maybe still do, I don't know) where Princess docks didn't like hearing the song and talked the city council or port agency or someone into prohibiting such playing by arriving or departing ships.  There may very well be other such cities to do it also, I don't know of any though.

Tom

The Royal couldn't play it in Alaska either.  I missed it - that always makes me smile!

By the way, the Disney ships used to play "When You Wish Upon a Star" when leaving Port Canaveral.  Our friends have a condo very near the Jetty where the ships come out and apparently many residents complained and Disney had to stop playing it too.  Our friends weren't part of that group - they enjoyed hearing it.

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

My sincerest apologies if I hurt your feelings. :classic_sad:   I thought I was merely posting my thoughts on the matter too.

It is a sign of the times when people consider contrary opinions "attacks". Sad times.

• Like 2

Last year on the Regal New England cruise we sailed past a fancy outdoor wedding while leaving Newport, and the captain played the whole song as we went by.  It was a beautiful evening, right at sunset.  Fond memory!

Everyone on board seemed to enjoy it that we noticed.  I assume the wedding party asked them to play it as we went by?  Either way they seemed happy about it 🙂

9 minutes ago, dblane said:

Heard one of the Disney ships play"'When you wish upon a star" this weekend.  And I love the love boat theme.  Regal played it just once as they left.  I'm addicted to watching sail aways.

Go on Google and search for Disney Princess Horn Battles.  I think you'll like it.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Watching PTZ out of Ft Lauderdale yesterday and today, I notice the Sky Princess and Pacific Princess did not blow the Love Boat theme.

They just did normal horn.

I noticed the same thing in Vancouver in May one of the ships in port did not blow the theme.

I guess they have stopped doing this?  Gosh I enjoyed hearing it.

There are ports that have rules in place restricting the Horn use. I think Toulon is one of these. When the Royal first visited in 2013, the city council was on a fire boat with all the sprays going requesting the captain to play it again. I heard recently that the port now has new rules against it.

2013 is first hand info, new rules are hearsay. Does anyone know for sure?

On 12/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, Gimer said:

Was on Majestic for it's Maiden Voyage from Singapore to Shanghai and it was played on our 9 Ports of Call.  As we sail away, cheers were heard from the Pier and onboard the ship.  The ship's Second Watch Officer Grant was responsible to play it three times and he said he had a blast, every time he did it.  

We were on Majestic in the Med, before it went to Asia. The Love Boat horn was played twice on our departure from Kotor. Once close to town, and once again further out in the fjord.

21 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

There are some ports that prohibit the use of even the regular horn when departing, nothing new there.

Seems kind of silly to buy a condo next to a deep water port and then complain about ship’s horns though.......

Like those who buy a home near an airport (convenient) and then complain about the noise.