Wine Wine WIne

Empehi

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is there  a rule in Australia  that you can bring liquor ?

The  USA  site says wine   but the unwritten rule you can bring spirits 

From O site

We are pleased to inform you that Oceania Cruises has revised the policy for bringing wine onboard.

We have now increased the limit to 6 bottles per stateroom. The exception being the world cruises for which we will allow up to 60 bottles per stateroom however this only applies to guests who are booked on the full world cruise or any of the variations of the full world cruise as listed below.

same as USA I think - apologies is 6 bottle now. But you added another rule which is Ok to be broken

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

Not sure why this has come up again but your points obfuscate the issue:

The two rules documented are (are they both really documented?):

1. You can bring 3 bottles of liquor on board

2. Don't drink your brought on liquor outside your cabin.

I remain unclear why it's ok to ignore the first rule but call out people for breaking the second rule?

Probably because the first rule isn't a real rule.  It's a CYA rule.  I've never known anyone to be affected by it, including us.  I don't usually bring a lot on board, so probably 3-4 wines and 1 vodka is my limit.  But it's never been a problem.

6 minutes ago, Mura said:

Probably because the first rule isn't a real rule.  It's a CYA rule.  I've never known anyone to be affected by it, including us.  I don't usually bring a lot on board, so probably 3-4 wines and 1 vodka is my limit.  But it's never been a problem.

sorry Mura, with all due respect, one can't divide written rules into those that CYA and those that do not.  AndI totally agree it is not a problem but that is not the point

Edited by drkitkat123
additi9on

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

This thread allows me to thank you all again.

Petoonya - I might be able to advise you on some things but wine is not one of them as we don't drink 🙂

Hope your cruise next April goes as planned.

38 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

with all due respect, one can't divide written rules into those that CYA and those that do not

I believe that you understand the policy but are just being argumentative.

The reason O limits wines to 6 bottles (officially) is if someone abuses the rule and is drunk, they will have legal reason to disembark them.

The other part - we all know that bar services (and spa, excursions) are major revenue sources for Oceania (and others).

Imagine that O benevolently allows passengers to bring on liquor and wine and everyone fills their glasses in the cabin and then walks with it around the ship (or worse to the bar). When their glass is empty, they could simply walk back to the cabin and get a refill. The bartenders would be idle and the cruise line out of money.

They would then immediately turn around and forbid bringing on ANY wine or liquor and all would have to be purchased from the bar at much higher prices. This is what most mass market cruise lines do (probably for the same reason).

Which scenario appeals to you better? I don't care as we don;t drink but if we did, we would follow those very liberal rules and be appreciative of them. Oceania trusts their customers to behave like responsible adults.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

As long as the Wine is in a sealed case and there is a  baggage tag on it, the porters have always taken it from us.

It was all of that. They just folded their arms across their chest and said no. Maybe they were working to rule.....🤷‍♀️

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oceania has always been flexible with enforcement of rules and codes. Take dress codes for instance. Want to know the number of extremely blatant examples of disregard to the dress codes In Specially restaurants I’ve witnessed? 

If you’re a good little boy or girl and either pay the corkage, or keep it in your cabin, Oceania accepts leeway with the policy.

Just hope the policy continues!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania has always been flexible with enforcement of rules and codes. Take dress codes for instance. Want to know the number of extremely blatant examples of disregard to the dress codes In Specially restaurants I’ve witnessed? 

If you’re a good little boy or girl and either pay the corkage, or keep it in your cabin, Oceania accepts leeway with the policy.

Just hope the policy continues!

and you make my point. I have no issue with any of the rules and abide by them. But there seems to be some unwritten code of which rules it's Ok to breach (bringing more than 6 bottles or hard liquor on board) and  that which are not (walking around the ship with liquor from your cabin) when both serve exactly the same purpose (for the majority of people):  to save money on alcohol (I do understand that some bring on board liquor that they can't get on board but I suspect this is the minority). And then those that break the walking round rule are called skinflints...

Well maybe the NEW Oceania  will not allow any  wine or spirits to brought onboard

Suitcases  searched  to be sure  no smuggling  is happening

It is the few that ruin  it for everyone

JMO

• Thanks 1

Wouldn’t say I represent any majority,

but I often bring wine aboard, along the way, to take home, not to consume on the ship at all.

The vulgarity of the US’s three tier alcohol distribution system means some wines are never available in parts of the country. Depending upon countries visited, I often go home with far more wine than I bring.

Oceania, itself, runs winery tours as part of its shore excursions. Think how stupid it would be to tell their passengers they can visit but not buy!

Food and Wine Trails brings many passengers aboard Oceania ships as they explore wineries around the world. Do you believe they want to kill that source of revenue?

Edited by pinotlover

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone give an idea of what the range of prices by the drink is for wine?  I know it will vary, but a rough idea would be great.  They have two packages, one for beer, wine, champagne for $40/pp/day, and one that includes spirits for $60/pp/day.  So, if the price for a glass of wine is $10 or more, not too bad of a deal.  I"m looking at a 10 day cruise in Oct 2021 out of Istanbul, and they are offering either a $600 on board credit, 6 shore excursions, or a drinks package.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Crosboro said:

Can someone give an idea of what the range of prices by the drink is for wine?  I know it will vary, but a rough idea would be great.  They have two packages, one for beer, wine, champagne for $40/pp/day, and one that includes spirits for $60/pp/day.  So, if the price for a glass of wine is $10 or more, not too bad of a deal.  I"m looking at a 10 day cruise in Oct 2021 out of Istanbul, and they are offering either a $600 on board credit, 6 shore excursions, or a drinks package.  Thanks.

The House select  package is Champagne /wine by the  glass & beer  during lunch & dinner

The Prestige Package  is Champagne/ wine by the glass  & spirits anytime  during opening hours  of the bars

Some previous menus at

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm

Things could change on future cruises

If you take the Beverage package perk  you can upgrade to the Prestige Package  onboard  for $20 Pd PP

both parties in the cabin do not need to upgrade  but both parties need to take the same O Life perk

Be sure to do the math & see what works best for you

• Like 2

To the best of my memory the wines by the glass run from 9-15 dollars. Make sure that you realize as Lyn pointed out, that the Basic package is only during meals. This does include Room Service. Don't expect any high end wines by the glass, but sometimes you can get a pleasant surprise. 

On the options available with Olife, it is generally advised that the OBC is a wash, moving money from one hand to another, with the down side being that you pay real cash and get non refundable OBC for it. Generally not a good choice, but everyone should do their own math and figure it out. 

• Like 2

We have never taken the drink package for two reasons -- DH doesn't drink much (orange juice, no ice please).  An occasional sip of my wine.  Sometimes he even orders a glass of his own!  I might have taken the prestige package for myself if I could order a bottle of wine from the list rather than a short selection of glasses of wine.  Since I can't, I will bring on a bottle (maybe two depending on the length of the cruise) of vodka for in-room consumption.  When we're in a suite that gives us the 6 bottle package, again depending on the length of the cruise, I may or may not bring some extra on board -- or perhaps buy something on shore if  need more.

For the poster who felt that people who bring on more than 3 bottles are "breaking the rules", that is not the case.  It's just a rule that is only enforced when people become obnoxious.  A CYA rule, so to speak. People who bring more and follow the rules about where and when (and if a corkage fee is to be paid) and not breaking the rules.

Of course, as Lyn has said ... who knows what rules will be in place in the post-Covid future.

Mura

Also factor in that if you don't have the drinks package and go a la carte and use the OBC option to pay for the drink that there is an additional 18% gratuity added to the price of the a la carte drink.  So the $9 dollar drink is really going to be a $9 + $1.62 = $10.62 use of your OBC and the $15 drink is going to be a $15 + $2.70 = $17.20 use of your OBC.

In other words, if you usually have two glasses of wine with your meals (and that you will actually be on the ship for lunch for most of the cruise) and you are fine with the wine-by-the-glass options, the drinks package probably works out better for you than the OBC.  As previous posters have noted, upgrading opens up the hard liquor options and availability at all times that the bars are open, not just wine and beer during lunch and dinner.

The possible drawback of the drinks package option is that sometimes people have commented (complained) that it sometimes took a while to get the second (or third, etc.) pour.  Also note that you still need to hand your room card to the sommelier after every meal even though both of you know that you are on the package.