More formal wear questions

steilkurve

Apologies in advance for stirring up debate on formal wear once again! Going on HOS shortly. As our trip includes pre-cruise travels, am trying to minimize luggage and as such, would prefer not to pack a suit. Don’t mind formal wear and have dragged some to all our cruises but this time, it would be more convenient not to. So, for a man, will khakis with a nice shirt and sports jacket stand out too much on RCI? Last cruise with them was over 8 yrs ago and I remember formal wear not being that intense, even then. Has it changed? Any thoughts appreciated.

We might be on the same sailing-  My husband will wear a jacket buttoned shirt and a tie on the formal nights- he just brings one jacket, 2 shirts and two different ties.  Doesn't take up that much room in our luggage- we will be spending a week at Disney after the cruise and we manage.  We each bring a large suitcase and a carry-on.  I also take a medium sized backpack. Sometimes, we might take a small garment bag also.    Laundry/dry cleaning is available on the ship and at our hotel after the cruise.

However, it is your cruise and you should dress as you deem appropriate.  Royal will post suggested appropriate dress code. Some people ignore it.   This topic is always hot!

Edited by Cruise a holic

As an example, we just flew to NYC and back. Delta charges $30 a checked bag and if it is over 50lb, then there is a $100 heavy charge. We try to check one bag for the both of us but need to keep it under 50lbs. Those suits and extra shoes/shirts/ties add weight that can be used for other things. 

This is one reason why formal dress should be removed altogether. It should say feel free to dress as you wish. 

• Like 4

why worry?  I do not understand why, because of not bringing clothes, you would deprive yourself, after paying a lot of money, not to mention spending your time on a great vacation, you wouldn’t want to enjoy a special dinner in the MDR because you do not want to bring clothes?   I know perhaps some might disagree, but This is my opinion only.  

• Like 4

They don't turn anyone away regarding the way you are dressed at the main dining room on formal night.

This is what the greeter told me at the entrance of the dining room on the Allure .

I was in shorts and a shirt and he told me it was fine . I diidnt go in as I wanted to only make the inquiry .

I had a jacket and dress pants in my cabin , but I will no longer bring a jacket .

Lots of guys without a jacket in the dining room .

5 minutes ago, loman said:

They don't turn anyone away regarding the way you are dressed at the main dining room on formal night.

This is what the greeter told me at the entrance of the dining room on the Allure .

I was in shorts and a shirt and he told me it was fine . I diidnt go in as I wanted to only make the inquiry .

I had a jacket and dress pants in my cabin , but I will no longer bring a jacket .

Lots of guys without a jacket in the dining room .

Thanks. I don’t even mind dressing up a tad. That can be managed with khakis, nice shirt and spots jacket. It’s the full suit, shoes, tie, etc. only used one evening that I could do without.

Edited by steilkurve

58 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

As an example, we just flew to NYC and back. Delta charges $30 a checked bag and if it is over 50lb, then there is a $100 heavy charge. We try to check one bag for the both of us but need to keep it under 50lbs. Those suits and extra shoes/shirts/ties add weight that can be used for other things. 

This is one reason why formal dress should be removed altogether. It should say feel free to dress as you wish. 

I wish they had a separate dining room for people that like to dress up in formal wear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Cheaper to check two bags.    Why would you consider a $ heavy charge?  We also fly Delta and my DH brings one pair of dress shoes, on pair of loafer type shoes, wears sneakers on the plane and a pair of sandals - or he wears the the loafers.  We budget for luggage in our total cost- willing to pay for an additional piece of luggage for choice.

We always check 2 bags and DW makes sure they are each packed with 49.5 lbs of clothes (which I verify with a scale).

Edited by sparks1093

In July on the Serenade of the Seas, on the Baltic Sea, about 50% of men wore a jacket on the formal nights and about 40% also wore a necktie. I saw no one in a tuxedo, but of course I didn't see everyone. And this was an itinerary with no hot weather, in Europe with a significant share of European passengers, who tend to dress more formally to begin with.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Cheaper to check two bags.    Why would you consider a $ heavy charge?  We also fly Delta and my DH brings one pair of dress shoes, on pair of loafer type shoes, wears sneakers on the plane and a pair of sandals - or he wears the the loafers.  We budget for luggage in our total cost- willing to pay for an additional piece of luggage for choice.

And drag two bags around. Forget it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We always check 2 bags and DW makes sure they are each packed with 49.5 lbs of clothes (which I verify with a scale).

Who wants to drag two big bags around. When we flew into Barcelona for 17 Presidents Cruise, hotels don’t all have ramps. We are down to one big bag after that trip. Going through Customs, in places like JFK, you must pick up bags and travel a tram and check them again. The fewer bags the better. 

• Like 1

Who wants to drag two big bags around. When we flew into Barcelona for 17 Presidents Cruise, hotels don’t all have ramps. We are down to one big bag after that trip. Going through Customs, in places like JFK, you must pick up bags and travel a tram and check them again. The fewer bags the better. 

I was simply recounting what we do, I wasn't advocating that others do the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

DH no longer even takes the sports coat.  He does a nice shirt and tie on formal night, only because we like to take the ship pics and buy one all dressed up.  I do a dress every night, just cuz I like an excuse to wear one 🙂. We have cruises with people who do shorts in the MDR every night.  Honestly, if the hubby does khakis and a polo or Hawaiian shirt every night, he’d blend in just fine 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn