Taxi from FLL to port

aledomom

We currently have HAL transfers scheduled from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the port for our April 1 sailing.  That is costing us $76 roundtrip.  

Had lunch with a friend over the weekend who has done this airport to port trip with HAL transfers and said it is far easier to just get a cab.  He said they had to wait for an extended period of time for a Delta flight to land, etc. before they were allowed to board their transfer and get to port.  I am reading through a google search that a cab from FLL to port is approximately $18.  Does anyone have an experience with just grabbing a cab and heading over on your own?  We have never been to this airport or this cruise terminal.  Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you in advance!

$76?? Are you getting a tour of the city with that?  😉

I agree Taxi (or Uber) is the way to go. It’s a very short ride from the airport to the port. We’ve done Uber the last few times we’ve flown into FLL and it’s fast, inexpensive, and very efficient. If you Uber Pool (where you share the car with others going from the airport to the port), it can be as cheap as $9 (not per person). If you want your own car without sharing, it’s around $15.

D6234A76-27D7-4771-835F-17BB11BEFCE7.png

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

$76?? Are you getting a tour of the city with that?  😉

I agree Taxi (or Uber) is the way to go. It’s a very short ride from the airport to the port. We’ve done Uber the last few times we’ve flown into FLL and it’s fast, inexpensive, and very efficient. If you Uber Pool (where you share the car with others going from the airport to the port), it can be as cheap as $9 (not per person). If you want your own car without sharing, it’s around $15.

D6234A76-27D7-4771-835F-17BB11BEFCE7.png

I agree with Tapi. It can be a long wait for the bus to fill up. Someone's flight might be late. People dawdle not realizing they're wasting other people's time. And that price is outrageous. There are lots of Uber drivers in FLL, and I've never had a bad one. 

Yes take a cab or Uber but are you flying in the day of the cruise?  If you have the time suggest that you fly in the day before.  With full flights these days if there is any delay or problem with your flight you might miss the ship.  In the winter months we always fly in 2 days early just in case - makes for a much more relaxing start to our cruise.

26 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Taxi or Uber - Cost about $15 plus tip.  May not be able to get 4 people and luggage in a taxi but not sure on the larger ones.

OMGOSH 76.00 is a waste of your money!

Uber or a taxi as suggested. You might think getting a transfer with HAL is a sure convenient way BUT they are making a killing and you wait and wait for the bus to fill up! 
We did this once and no more!

Denise😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xport said:

Took a taxi from FLL to Port Everglades on 29 November and from Port Everglades to FLL on 9 December...

Without gratuity, taxi is metered with a current minimum charge of $16...

Interesting......  Two weeks a go we were on a meter to FLL, and it was a few cents over $16 - cost a bit more since we were at Terminal 3 and Terminal 1 was a traffic jam.

Edited by DaveOKC

Took a taxi  at the taxi stand from Port to Fll  last month.  When we arrived at the airport, the driver said it was $30.00. I said what does the meter say.  He said that Yellow cab only has meters and his charge is $30.  When you get a cab, make sure the taxi is metered.   I have taken taxis for several years and the  metered charge has been between $12- $16.  From now on, I will make sure the taxi is metered.   

Just now, cheone said:

Took a taxi  at the taxi stand from Port to Fll  last month.  When we arrived at the airport, the driver said it was $30.00. I said what does the meter say.  He said that Yellow cab only has meters and his charge is $30.  When you get a cab, make sure the taxi is metered.   I have taken taxis for several years and the  metered charge has been between $12- $16.  From now on, I will make sure the taxi is metered.   

That's why I like Uber/Lyft. You know the cost before the ride and the driver can't jack up the price. I did have a weird experience with my Port to FLL Uber though. My payment was refunded. Then recharged two dollars more. It was It was initially $9.80. Then when I arrived at FLL I went into  the uber app to add a tip but the ride was refunded and it was like it never happened. The next day I saw I had been charged $11.80. That's the only time I've seen anything like that. But I like Uber/Lyft.

• Like 1

Yes, taxi or Uber/Lyft.  Unfortunately on our one time using Lyft at FLL, the Lyft driver could not find us at the designated pick-up spot.  Then the second driver couldn't find us as well, just kept driving around.  We gave up and jumped in a taxi waiting at the curb and were happy with the ride and fare.

55 minutes ago, cheone said:

Our last experience with a FLL taxi driver was not a good one.  He turned off the meter (we had been watching it) and then tried to charge us $10 more than it should have been.  When we threatened to call the cops, he threw our luggage at us and left in a hurry.  This wasn't a Yellow cab. 

I took a yellow taxi from the port to the FLL airport yesterday.  The taxi manager and the driver confirmed a flat rate of $20.  Taxis can only do one-way trips on cruise days.  If they choose to pick up at the cruise terminal, they cannot get in line for pick up at the airport the same day my driver told me.  The driver had to go back empty to the cruise terminal.

Edited by Crew News

7 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I took a yellow taxi from the port to the FLL airport yesterday.  The taxi manager and the driver confirmed a flat rate of $20.  Taxis can only do one-way trips on cruise days.  If they choose to pick up at the cruise terminal, they cannot get in line for pick up at the airport the same day my driver told me.  The driver had to go back empty to the cruise terminal.

I can confirm this.  We were charged a flat rate of $20 from port to FFL on December 14 with just my wife and I in one of the yellow cabs. 

1 hour ago, cheone said:

The Jamaican driver is wrong about the Yellow cab.    99% of the cabs are metered, but in this case, the cab dispatcher directed to the taxi we got.  She probably received a kickback.  Before you get in make sure the cab is metered which should show the rate

on the side of the taxi.  

Edited by cheone

TAXI,   no contest,  IMO 

Take a taxi.  there always are plenty  when  you exit baggage claim to the street

Ten minute ride on a BAD day   🙂

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

Funny - we were in a nice larger taxi (not Yellow) on Dec 14 as well as the fare was a bit over $16.  Nothing said or charged about a flat rate.  Normally the fare is a bit under $15, but on this trip we got stuck in traffic near Terminal 1.

Edited by DaveOKC

I have used both taxis and Uber to/from Port Everglades and FLL. I strongly prefer Uber. Rideshare locations are easy to find at both the airport and port, and you can communicate with the driver to find you if necessary. With 4 persons plus luggage, order Uber XL.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have taken several cruises into Fort Lauderdale.  I have always taken a taxi to the airport.  The cost has ranged from $18 to $28 on the last trip.  I think the $28 was a rip off.  He crammed 4 people into the taxi and it was not metered.  He just said it would be $28 per person.  I had been gone for a month, was tired and did not call him on it. But majority of trips have been $18.