Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sprockie

Rolling Stone Rock Room - Big Thumbs up from this cruiser

Recommended Posts

As I mentioned in another thread, my husband and I and our teenage kids just got off the Nieuw Statendam yesterday and wanted to mention how much we enjoyed the Rolling Stone Rock Room.  We had never sailed on the NS or the Koningsdam and were looking forward to checking out this new feature.  We were blown away and thoroughly enjoyed the shows every night.  The band was excellent and played great classic rock.  They were a 5 very talented musicians - each with their own expertise and they put together an amazing show day after day.  It added such a wonderful element to my cruise experience.  I had more fun on this cruise than any cruise in the last 20 years of cruising with HAL.  I've never been so sad to see a cruise end.

I really hope HAL rolls out the same type of classic rock show fleetwide.  It was very crowded every night and everyone was having a great time.  I do hope they find another venue for the Rock Room - I found the room and stage to be small with view-hindering pillars.   I am so happy to see HAL catering more to the baby boomers and the younger passengers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Rolling Stone is a little to loud.😀

 

Funny, I thought it could have been louder!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

We also found it too loud to enjoy which is a shame.  Oh well.  Glad you enjoyed it!  

I would wager that you have never been to a Rock & Roll concert or it's been a while since you have and don't remember your younger days.

The sound from the Rock Room is in fact no louder than the sound from Billboard Onboard or the BB Kings.

We have been to classical music performances by symphony orchestras that are louder than all of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, taxmantoo said:

I would wager that you have never been to a Rock & Roll concert or it's been a while since you have and don't remember your younger days.

The sound from the Rock Room is in fact no louder than the sound from Billboard Onboard or the BB Kings.

We have been to classical music performances by symphony orchestras that are louder than all of them.

 

No, even in my younger days I didn’t enjoy such loud music.  I love music, don’t get me wrong.  I even tried to listen “down the hall” away from them but still too loud.  However, BBKings is fine for me.   Perhaps it depends on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

No, even in my younger days I didn’t enjoy such loud music.  I love music, don’t get me wrong.  I even tried to listen “down the hall” away from them but still too loud.  However, BBKings is fine for me.   Perhaps it depends on the ship.

We have seen a few people wearing some type of ear plugs.  If you enjoy the music, that may be a possible solution for you to enjoy it at a level that is comfortable for you.  We have seen that in the shows as well as the musical venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

We have seen a few people wearing some type of ear plugs.  If you enjoy the music, that may be a possible solution for you to enjoy it at a level that is comfortable for you.  We have seen that in the shows as well as the musical venues.

 

Great idea.  I tried Kleenex in the ears but didn’t help.    I do remember (many moons ago) going to a Michael Jackson live concert and didn’t think that was too loud 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling Stone Rock Room sounds like a venue that I would frequent.   I think HAL should phase out Billboard Onboard and switch to RRSR on all ships.    Or maybe alternate RSRR with BB-King.

As the great speaker company Cerwin Vega said "Loud is Beautiful....If it's Clean".   If the speakers and amps can handle the higher sound levels without distortion, then it is not annoying.  But many bands go cheap on the electronics and just crank it up.   You get massive distortion, and that is extremely annoying, even if the musicians are talented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

No, even in my younger days I didn’t enjoy such loud music.  I love music, don’t get me wrong.  I even tried to listen “down the hall” away from them but still too loud.  However, BBKings is fine for me.   Perhaps it depends on the ship.

As I said, I thought the room was too small and poorly laid out.  The BB King room would be a far more suitable venue for the RSRR for many reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sprockie said:

As I said, I thought the room was too small and poorly laid out.  The BB King room would be a far more suitable venue for the RSRR for many reasons.

That must be it-so depends on the ship and where they perform.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a lot of fun.  We love BB KIng's and if this venue were available we would probably be there every night dancing and carrying on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We loved the Rolling Rock room on the K’dam, we all thought this was a great addition.  I will agree the venue could be layed out a little better, however, on our sailing was standing room only each performance as was BB Kings.......

Edited by doone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another who loves the Rolling Stones Rock Room and BB King.  On the NS the RSRR was a bit loud, we just sat over in the Billboard Onboard area.  On the Koningsdam it didn't seem as loud.  Different bands, different ships...  Oddly BB King never seems too loud to me, maybe I tolerate some music louder than others.  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAL's got a hit with both the BB Kings and the Rolling Stones Rock Room bands on the two, three in the future, Pinnacle-class ships! The problem with putting the RSRR band on the four Vistas and two Signatures is space. They'e not going to get rid of Billboard Onboard, on the contrary, they're expanding that concept to the "R"-class ships. That leaves alternating the rock band with the BB's and that would require a change in contract for the latter, which has occurred before (The BB's used to have one "big show" in the main show lounge which has been done away with.) Time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear that you enjoyed the Rolling Stones Rock Room. We are looking forward to it on our upcoming NS trip in May. We spent most evenings in BB Kings lounge and are excited about the new venue.

Edited by nutensteve
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

HAL's got a hit with both the BB Kings and the Rolling Stones Rock Room bands on the two, three in the future, Pinnacle-class ships! The problem with putting the RSRR band on the four Vistas and two Signatures is space. They'e not going to get rid of Billboard Onboard, on the contrary, they're expanding that concept to the "R"-class ships. That leaves alternating the rock band with the BB's and that would require a change in contract for the latter, which has occurred before (The BB's used to have one "big show" in the main show lounge which has been done away with.) Time will tell

I noticed on the NS that less money has been invested in the show lounge as compared to other older ships - maybe because they offer different types of entertainment throughout the ship.  In my ideal world, the Rock Room would be a venue like the show lounge, but with tables and chairs and a dancefloor.  I imagine the drinks would be flowing and people would be parked there all night spending money on drinks (which we all know is the goal).  They could book acts to go on one after another for several sets per night - eg. blues, contemporary piano, rock bands etc.  I think as long as the musicians and entertainers were appealing to the boomers/younger crowd - you'd get people staying all night and dropping $$$$.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

 

OK Boomer!

 

I'm actually younger than a boomer.  I'm only 51!😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dug this up as I posted it a year ago on the first US NS departure.  I am curious has anything been added, changed etc...….

 

 

Here is a list of songs currently playing on the NS.  This list contains 23 0f the 27 songs they played. I lost the other 4 lol.   They do three 9 song sets each night.  The Memphis based band is still learning other covers so expect this to evolve.   They are very talented.

Two guitarists, bass, keys and drummer make up the five piece current lineup. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask as I spent some time talking with them. 

 

Hope this helps people traveling on the NS.

 

 

Old Time Rock and Roll  Bob Seger

You may be Right   Billy Joel

Summer of 69   Bryan Adams

Don't do me like that    Tom Petty

Honky Tonk Woman   Rolling Stones

Dead or Alive         Bon Jovi

Waiting on the World to Change     John Mayer

With or Without You     U2

Anyway You Want It   Journey

Roadhouse Blues    The Doors

Stay with Me     Faces

Rock and Roll All Night    Kiss

Dreams      Fleetwood Mac

Take it Easy    Eagles

Hey Joe      Jimi Hendrix

Foxy Lady   Jimi Hendrix

Keep your hands to yourself  Georgia Satelites

Hard to Handle  Black Crowes

I don't wanna be    Gavin DeGraw

Running down a Dream  Tom Petty

Dead Flowers    Rolling Stones

All Right Now    Free

 

Medley (in one song)

Sweet Home Alabama   Lynard Skynard

All Summer Long       Kid Rock

Werewolves of London   Warren Zevon

Edited December 23, 2018 by Nymich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nymich said:

I dug this up as I posted it a year ago on the first US NS departure.  I am curious has anything been added, changed etc...….

 

 

Here is a list of songs currently playing on the NS.  This list contains 23 0f the 27 songs they played. I lost the other 4 lol.   They do three 9 song sets each night.  The Memphis based band is still learning other covers so expect this to evolve.   They are very talented.

Two guitarists, bass, keys and drummer make up the five piece current lineup. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask as I spent some time talking with them. 

 

Hope this helps people traveling on the NS.

 

 

Old Time Rock and Roll  Bob Seger

You may be Right   Billy Joel

Summer of 69   Bryan Adams

Don't do me like that    Tom Petty

Honky Tonk Woman   Rolling Stones

Dead or Alive         Bon Jovi

Waiting on the World to Change     John Mayer

With or Without You     U2

Anyway You Want It   Journey

Roadhouse Blues    The Doors

Stay with Me     Faces

Rock and Roll All Night    Kiss

Dreams      Fleetwood Mac

Take it Easy    Eagles

Hey Joe      Jimi Hendrix

Foxy Lady   Jimi Hendrix

Keep your hands to yourself  Georgia Satelites

Hard to Handle  Black Crowes

I don't wanna be    Gavin DeGraw

Running down a Dream  Tom Petty

Dead Flowers    Rolling Stones

All Right Now    Free

 

Medley (in one song)

Sweet Home Alabama   Lynard Skynard

All Summer Long       Kid Rock

Werewolves of London   Warren Zevon

Edited December 23, 2018 by Nymich

 

Well I went to the Q&A with the RSRR band, and I asked the question where they get their playlists from and they said they are given a list of about 300 songs and they choose between them which they will rehearse and perform.  These are 5 musicians who came from different areas and came together to create this band on the NS.   Songs I recall throughout the cruise were:

Summer of 69

Some Kind of Wonderful

Walk This Way

Jessie's Girl

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Sweet Home Alabama

Bad Moon Rising

Take Another Piece of My Heart

Ziggy Stardust

Magic Carpet Ride

Boys of Summer

White Room

Dead or Alive

Go Your Own Way

Take It Easy

Hotel California

Brown Eyed Girl

Dream On

Sharp Dressed Man

Free Falling

Americal Girl

Pride

Don't Stop Believing

Crazy Train

Listen to the Music

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic

Living on a Prayer

Born to be Wild

Black Magic Woman

Honkey Tonk Women

Comfortably Numb

You Really Got Me

Sunshine of Your Love

Hurt So Good

Come Together

I Want You to Want Me

Light My Fire

Hurt So Good

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sprockie said:

 

Well I went to the Q&A with the RSRR band, and I asked the question where they get their playlists from and they said they are given a list of about 300 songs and they choose between them which they will rehearse and perform.  These are 5 musicians who came from different areas and came together to create this band on the NS.   Songs I recall throughout the cruise were:

Summer of 69

Some Kind of Wonderful

Walk This Way

Jessie's Girl

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Sweet Home Alabama

Bad Moon Rising

Take Another Piece of My Heart

Ziggy Stardust

Magic Carpet Ride

Boys of Summer

White Room

Dead or Alive

Go Your Own Way

Take It Easy

Hotel California

Brown Eyed Girl

Dream On

Sharp Dressed Man

Free Falling

Americal Girl

Pride

Don't Stop Believing

Crazy Train

Listen to the Music

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic

Living on a Prayer

Born to be Wild

Black Magic Woman

Honkey Tonk Women

Comfortably Numb

You Really Got Me

Sunshine of Your Love

Hurt So Good

Come Together

I Want You to Want Me

Light My Fire

Hurt So Good

 

 

 

 

 

That is quite the list.  I am happy I got to see that original group.   I would imagine that all of them or most are gone by now or on Kdam or they all went home together since they were already a band.   They didn't read any music onstage they just jammed like they did in the bars in the Memphis area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...