Rusty ships?

qwerty11

Funny coincidence. I was watching the Carnival Ecstasy arrive in Nassau yesterday on the webcam. I was shocked to see the amount of rust stain on the side of the ship running all the way to the top decks. I initially thought it might be the camera but after watching carefully for a few minutes I believe it is, indeed, a large amount of rust on the vessel. Sorry to see as we were on Ecstasy a few years ago and rust was not unsightly.

• Like 1

Strange you brought this up...I was thinking the same thing... Was aboard NCL Getaway in New Orleans just this past November. The Glory left before us.  Hull was rusty from stem to stern.  It really had that run down look.  I've considering booking it several times as New Orleans is drivable for me.  No way after I saw the condition of that hull, that EVERYONE sees.  Compare that to the 32 year old Rotterdam we were on in the spring....night and day difference.fullsizeoutput_1085.jpeg

• Like 1

I have to agree that it seems that they are not staying on top of the rust as well as they did in the past. We were on the Sunrise in September and I was surprised at the amount of rust showing on a ship that had been refurbished and repainted just 4 months earlier. It doesn't take away from our cruise, but it's not a good look. 😎

I am a fan of Carnival and continue to cruise Carnival but I did notice more rust than I had in the past when we on the Conquest most recently. It in no way impacted our enjoyment of our cruise experience. But upon return I did email my PVP and suggested she may not want to recommend the Conquest to a first time cruiser as I did not feel it was a very good example of a Carnival ship. 

On 12/24/2019 at 4:39 AM, FSHLOT said:

They ALL have rust, it's just not CCL.  If you look hard enough you'll find rusty spots on MSC also.

Right, all ship floating in salt water will have rust after a few months.  No one has to cruise on Carnival, if Carnival is not to your taste- sail on another line. 

This is an interesting thread because we noticed the same thing on our recent Celebrity cruise. Two Carnival ships that we docked with were noticeably showing a lot of rust. You might see a little rust here and there, but these were showing quite a bit of rust along the hull, the balconies and railings.  

Even a ship nearing dry dock renovation should not be showing that much rust if the crew is touching up the paint constantly. Usually you'll see some rust down near the waterline where the ships hit up against the bumpers of the dock or where the anchor is. 

Every ship we've sailed on Princess, Royal, NCL, Celebrity, Disney and Holland were constantly being touched up and painted. They would look nearly new at all times with rust normally showing up above the balconies from time to time.  When the ships are in port, those are marketing opportunities for the various cruise lines so they usually want the ships to look their absolute best.  

We may try the new Mardi Gras or the Vista / Horizon class in the next year, but as a marketing opportunity to sail another class of Carnival ship, the exteriors of these two ships didn't appear to be nearly as well kept as ships from other lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Strange you brought this up...I was thinking the same thing... Was aboard NCL Getaway in New Orleans just this past November. The Glory left before us.  Hull was rusty from stem to stern.  It really had that run down look.  I've considering booking it several times as New Orleans is drivable for me.  No way after I saw the condition of that hull, that EVERYONE sees.  Compare that to the 32 year old Rotterdam we were on in the spring....night and day difference.

The Glory was one of the last ships I saw in that condition.  I remember it clearly because I heard a guy on a neighboring balcony refer to it as a somewhat derogatory name that I can't repeat here.  I'll just say it started with the word Glory.  

I know very well that hull rust is not indicative of the on board product but that said, I've long wondered why Carnival doesn't touch up their hulls in port like every other line does.  The ship itself is an advertisement so you would think more effort would be put in to it.  

• Like 2