4 MORE WORK DAYS!!!!!!!!

Lois R

Hello folks:classic_biggrin: I have 4 more work days and then? RETIREMENT:classic_biggrin:

DEC 31st is my last day of work!!!!!   We have tomorrow off and then

Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday!   And then I am outa there!:classic_biggrin:

January 1st starts my next chapter:classic_smile:

• Like 7

Thanks so much:classic_biggrin:.....I have 4 booked for 2020.....3 are all paid for already. Well, 2 are paid in full, one will be paid off next month and the last one doesn't need to be paid off until the summer.

My other "start to the new year" is about a month of radiation treatment----I had surgery for breast cancer that was found back in November--they got it all and the margins are clear but the Dr's tell me radiation can cut the chances by 50% of it coming back.  So I have a cruise booked for Jan 16th and the Dr said

to go for it and when I get back the radiation will start for about 4-5 weeks so that will be the month

of February.

• Like 1

Yay Lois! My DH (dr'spin) has only three -- a half-day/morning on Thursday, full days Friday and Monday, and nothing on NYE because that would normally be a half-day/afternoon and the office is closed in the PM.

Of course we will probably spend most of the weekend clearing out his personal office of belongings! But not counting those days, three.

He's also giving up the Chairmanship of the Board of Trustees of his medical alma mater, although he remains on the Board.

Happy New Year! With an emphasis on the NEW.

Edited by crystalspin

Lois - Wishing you a Very Happy New Year & Retirement!!!  Enjoy the last few days, if you can...  Wishing you all the best w/ the radiation treatment - here's to 100% Success.  Enjoy your cruises.

Crystal & Dr. Spin  --  Cheers to the Dr's retirement as well! 

Good morning, thank you both:classic_smile:... I appreciate the good thoughts and kind words. 

My birthday is March 18th and trying to decide what to do for it as well.

• Like 2

Congratulations Lois,

I send you wishes for many wonderful adventures in your next chapter. I am also about to join the ranks of the retired. February 1st will be my first day of freedom and my first time without a job in over 48 years. I am excited and a little concerned about what the future will bring.

Best wishes, Jim

Hi Jim.....congrats to you as well:classic_biggrin:....at 61, I think I have been working closer to 40 years, rather than 48 LOL...

but both of us have put in our time for sure.   I am excited too...….but I get your feeling, it is something...not having

to go to work LOL....there is only ONE major concern I am thinking about but it doesn't have to do with my

job---and I know we don't discuss certain topics on here so I will just leave it there.

Wishing you the best too:classic_biggrin:

Well, I have today and tomorrow....and normally on Dec 31st the office closes early too...………….

It is almost time...…..unreal...………..never thought I would be able to retire in 2020...….

• Like 3

Wishing all good things for your retirement Lois. I’ve been a “lurker” here for awhile but reading your posts helped me to decide to retire on March 31. I leave for 21 days on the Bliss in mid-April. I’m also 61 and feel like I’m jumping off a cliff. I can’t wait to leave the stress of a good job turned horrible. It doesn’t seem quite real yet. I think I need to book more cruises!

Patti

16 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Wishing all good things for your retirement Lois. I’ve been a “lurker” here for awhile but reading your posts helped me to decide to retire on March 31. I leave for 21 days on the Bliss in mid-April. I’m also 61 and feel like I’m jumping off a cliff. I can’t wait to leave the stress of a good job turned horrible. It doesn’t seem quite real yet. I think I need to book more cruises!

Patti

Hi Patti, congrats to you as well:classic_biggrin:....glad I could help---it is a major decision for sure.  We are going to

be cruising at the same time. I have a TA crossing booked that leaves on April 6th....it is 16 days. Looks

like we are both starting a new chapter. Wishing you the best too.

dr'spin worked his last day-for-pay today. We have to go in tomorrow and tote out a few things (all-in-one printer, couple-gallon terrarium), and he has to re-initialize or "clean up" his desktop computer to give to the office manager -- he owns it but we have no room for it. After tomorrow his card-key will no longer work; he becomes a former employee.

We spent several hours each day over the weekend clearing out the drawers and shelves. He also bought the lateral file cabinet and U-shaped desk/workstation, 25 years ago, installed to fit the office perfectly. We only hope the next person likes them! But it will be their problem if they don't.

Tomorrow is our 29th Anniversary, as well!

New Year's Eve! (I wrote that before I went to bed so 'tomorrow' was still to come if you know what I mean.)

He likes to say: "Easy to remember, and there's always a party!" AND he got a tax deduction that year...

We just left his office for the last time (as a tenant -- his partner is still my doctor of record so I'll see him once a year or so).

He left his keys on the Office Manager's desk. A little bittersweet -- being a physician was all he ever wanted to do. That and travel! Which we'll be doing even more of, as long as we can.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Happy New Year to All, and happy Retirement to Lois!

It's just now sinking in that dr'spin will not be going to work tomorrow, or the next day, or next week!

You'll have to let me know how that goes.  My husband will be retiring on January 15.  All these years without him home during the day.  This will definitely be a change.  Right now he is currently obsessing about the projects he will not be able to get done before his last day.  He is an engineer and their projects can take years.  I keep telling him that someone else will have to finish them.  I guess it is hard for him to let go of what he has been doing his whole adult life. And he is almost 71 years old!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I guess it is hard for him to let go of what he has been doing his whole adult life. And he is almost 71 years old!

My husband turned 72 last June. 34.5 years in family+geriatric practice. @Lois R (I missed your question but there is the answer.)

The only thing he ever wanted to be was a physician (although he did a few other things pre-medical school if you are calculating the difference). He has been trying to get his long-time patients stable and with charts that his newest partner can just keep them rolling, for the last six months or so.

He's active at his medical alma mater and has reached out to the dean for possible avenues to be more active, reaching the students rather than just administrative contributions. And then there's travel -- we have a land/air-hop trip to So.America, three cruises, and a hoped-for rented camper trip to upstate NY, all planned for this year. I hope NOT to have anything planned for the last three months of this year! It would be good to be home with our two kitties for some of the time.

But there are still things, like an afternoon visit to the two Goodwills close to us, that I don't see happening with him in tow!

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Happy New Year to All, and happy Retirement to Lois!

It's just now sinking in that dr'spin will not be going to work tomorrow, or the next day, or next week!

Congratulations to dr’spins on his retirement. His patients are so fortunate that he made sure they will be well cared for. Your travel plans will keep both of you busy and a very nice way to start this new chapter..

Congratulations on 29 years of marriage. Wishing you many, many more happy years together

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, Lois R said:

Hello folks:classic_biggrin: I have 4 more work days and then? RETIREMENT:classic_biggrin:

DEC 31st is my last day of work!!!!!   We have tomorrow off and then

Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday!   And then I am outa there!:classic_biggrin:

January 1st starts my next chapter:classic_smile:

Congratulations Lois!!!!!🍾

cjcruiser, Thank you:classic_smile:

You know, (or you may not LOL)….but it is just me----there is no hubby, mate, partner or anything.  My family is very

small---2 sisters who both live far away.  I am giving myself some time to adjust to this new life......I mean, it is 9:30

on a Thursday morning...….first day of my "next chapter".  I think it will take me some time to adjust but I have

also had some other life changes......the surgery I had the day before Thanksgiving. Tomorrow I have an appt

with my Oncologist to discuss my upcoming radiation treatment---that will probably start at the very end of the

month and will last about 4/5 weeks.

I have a Caribbean cruise coming up 2 weeks from TODAY:classic_biggrin:...…...

I know folks have told me to try and find something I love to do and to keep active.  Me thinks that will be coming

but not "right this minute".  I am also taking 5 weeks in April/May for a TA crossing and then a river cruise so

"the rest of my life" will come after that trip:classic_smile:

• Like 2