4 MORE WORK DAYS!!!!!!!!

Lois R

I meant to say, it is 9:30 on a weekday and I am home watching the news LOL.....I do need to clean out a bunch

of stuff---spring/winter cleaning...….clothing I have not worn, other things that have been sitting around forever.

Good Will should be getting a bunch of stuff from me.

Hi Lois, isn’t it nice not having to “hit the floor running” in the morning?.  I think that each of us has to figure out our own “course” because what works for some might not work for everyone. I do know that my retired friends will say that they wonder how they ever found time to work!  So I guess each has found much to fill their days and all are happy and enjoying this thing called retirement. 

Sharon

Hi Sharon, yes...it is different for sure.  Tomorrow I have a Dr appt with my Oncologist-----all about the

Radiation treatments...hopefully everything will go smoothly.  I will probably start them at the end of the month

since I have a cruise that starts 2 weeks from TODAY:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

cjcruiser, Thank you:classic_smile:

You know, (or you may not LOL)….but it is just me----there is no hubby, mate, partner or anything.  My family is very

small---2 sisters who both live far away.  I am giving myself some time to adjust to this new life......I mean, it is 9:30

on a Thursday morning...….first day of my "next chapter".  I think it will take me some time to adjust but I have

also had some other life changes......the surgery I had the day before Thanksgiving. Tomorrow I have an appt

with my Oncologist to discuss my upcoming radiation treatment---that will probably start at the very end of the

month and will last about 4/5 weeks.

I have a Caribbean cruise coming up 2 weeks from TODAY:classic_biggrin:...…...

I know folks have told me to try and find something I love to do and to keep active.  Me thinks that will be coming

but not "right this minute".  I am also taking 5 weeks in April/May for a TA crossing and then a river cruise so

"the rest of my life" will come after that trip:classic_smile:

Hi Lois! I am still working (hope to be done with it in 3 years!!) so I can’t give you any advice,.  But, I think you will find out for yourself what it is you want to do with your free time😀Enjoy every day!  Stay healthy as best you can. Best wishes for your ongoing/upcoming appointments. Stay active, keep moving. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruises!  I hope you let them know It’s a retirement cruise, so they can at least do a toast to you!  That’s awesome🎉😀 Cheers!

Thanks so much----this all happened over the past year.  The final decision came to me while on a river cruise in

October.  It was like an epiphany----I had been at a wonderful job for 28 years and my company moved me to

a different job a year ago....(same company---different position).  I tried for the past 12 months but the longer

I worked in this one, the unhappier I was becoming.  So, now? No boss is here is but ME:classic_biggrin: oh, I will let

my bartender know it is a retirement cruise LOL....(whoever my bartender ends up being LOL).

• Like 3

Similarly, dr'spin originally thought "35 years" (which would also be 30yrs married) -- but he was SO TIRED, that he found he was losing empathy with his patients, being impatient instead. So when our financial advisor said, you're good to go any time now... he too had an epiphany. 

Then we almost forgot to tell the finance guy! We sorta dropped it on him during a routine visit -- "Oh, by the way, my last day of work will be 12/31/19." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Similarly, dr'spin originally thought "35 years" (which would also be 30yrs married) -- but he was SO TIRED, that he found he was losing empathy with his patients, being impatient instead. So when our financial advisor said, you're good to go any time now... he too had an epiphany. 

Then we almost forgot to tell the finance guy! We sorta dropped it on him during a routine visit -- "Oh, by the way, my last day of work will be 12/31/19." 

That is funny:classic_biggrin:....I have spoken with my Financial guy multiple times, most recently this morning.  I could not

do this without his assistance...I have been using him for more than a dozen years now so when I called him

this morning, he asked---- "so are you at work or at home"?:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I retired almost 4 years ago. My wife retired a year ago. Our best friend Joyce retires on March 20th. We leave town on March 25th and head to Los Angeles to go on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. After that we will be looking at a Mediterranean cruise. We had planned to go to Hawaii as 2 couples, but sadly Joyce's husband Bill passed away in September at the age of 59. We had done 7 cruises together and will continue to cruise with our friend Joyce for as long as we are able.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Northumberland said:

I retired almost 4 years ago. My wife retired a year ago. Our best friend Joyce retires on March 20th. We leave town on March 25th and head to Los Angeles to go on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. After that we will be looking at a Mediterranean cruise. We had planned to go to Hawaii as 2 couples, but sadly Joyce's husband Bill passed away in September at the age of 59. We had done 7 cruises together and will continue to cruise with our friend Joyce for as long as we are able.

Your plans sound fun and you sound like good friends to Joyce......:classic_smile:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Planned retirements are great .I worked for a company 25 years. The longest anyone ever worked for that company was 37 years.My plan was to work there 38 years but I was downsized at 25,technically 6 weeks before.If I was there 25 years I would have been given a gold watch.

Well, I took my first cruise "Post Retirement" last week:classic_biggrin:...…...got back home Thursday evening and it was so

nice not having to go to work yesterday:classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Good for you Lois, I hope you have many more in your future!

We had dinner last evening with a friend of ours who was forced into early retirement (by two years) last June. We hadn’t seen him since November and he seems like a totally different person.  Very relaxed, has taken up photography and has been traveling.  He said that he wouldn’t go back to his old job if they paid him double.  That coming from a PhD in biochemistry says it all to me! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good for you Lois, I hope you have many more in your future!

We had dinner last evening with a friend of ours who was forced into early retirement (by two years) last June. We hadn’t seen him since November and he seems like a totally different person.  Very relaxed, has taken up photography and has been traveling.  He said that he wouldn’t go back to his old job if they paid him double.  That coming from a PhD in biochemistry says it all to me! 

Good morning:classic_smile:....sounds like he made the right decision!  I am losing the stress but for one part.....I am

starting radiation treatments this week and although I paid 6 months worth of premiums on my new Cobra insurance,

seems I am still showing up as "not insured":classic_blink::classic_angry:....have spoken on the phone multiple times and HOPING

this all gets fixed SOON...like yesterday....if the treatment needs to be delayed by a few days, so be it. I also

spoke to my old employer (still friendly with the gal in benefits) and she is calling on my behalf tomorrow morning.

I know stressing over it will not get it completed any quicker but this should have been done nearly 10 days ago!

I know they got the money as the check has been cashed and they actually told me they got it!

• Like 2

I was in a forced retirement.The company I was working for did a downsizing which included me.I felt I was too young to not be working and 17 months later I found a great job .I worked there a year and then they were doing a downsizing and basically saying bye bye to the people working there less than 2 years.

Two years of not working from that point I found myself in total boredom.

A good friend who retired was in the process of starting a business and asked me to work with him which I did till I was ready to retire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning:classic_smile:....sounds like he made the right decision!  I am losing the stress but for one part.....I am

starting radiation treatments this week and although I paid 6 months worth of premiums on my new Cobra insurance,

seems I am still showing up as "not insured":classic_blink::classic_angry:....have spoken on the phone multiple times and HOPING

this all gets fixed SOON...like yesterday....if the treatment needs to be delayed by a few days, so be it. I also

spoke to my old employer (still friendly with the gal in benefits) and she is calling on my behalf tomorrow morning.

I know stressing over it will not get it completed any quicker but this should have been done nearly 10 days ago!

I know they got the money as the check has been cashed and they actually told me they got it!

Lois, I hope your COBRA gets straightened out soon! We paid for 18 months and two months after retirement, got a $1000 bill for dental work: "Not insured." They're "working on it." I hope your treatment does not get delayed! Thankfully, we have lifetime medical (until eligible for medicare) but the dental and vision were supposed to be covered by COBRA. 

Good luck!

35 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Lois, I hope your COBRA gets straightened out soon! We paid for 18 months and two months after retirement, got a $1000 bill for dental work: "Not insured." They're "working on it." I hope your treatment does not get delayed! Thankfully, we have lifetime medical (until eligible for medicare) but the dental and vision were supposed to be covered by COBRA. 

Good luck!

Hi Donna, thanks....lifetime medical? Did you work for a state agency or something in the military?

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Donna, thanks....lifetime medical? Did you work for a state agency or something in the military?

Hubby worked for a municipal fire department. He was in the last hiring group to have lifetime medical. We feel very fortunate. 

8 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Hubby worked for a municipal fire department. He was in the last hiring group to have lifetime medical. We feel very fortunate. 

Ahhh...ok....yes, fortunate for sure...……...

Off topic for a moment.....I see you live Southern Cal.....terrible news today about Kobe Bryant:classic_sad:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ahhh...ok....yes, fortunate for sure...……...

Off topic for a moment.....I see you live Southern Cal.....terrible news today about Kobe Bryant:classic_sad:

Yes, quite sad. He was so proud of all his daughters, and seemed sure that the one who died with him would play in the WNBA someday. I feel for the other three who died and their families and loved ones as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, MamaFej said:

Good luck!

Hey Donna....got my Cobra all worked out.:classic_smile:  I am ok until the summer of 2021. I will need to figure

out what to do for after that because I will not be 65 at that time.  But I will not stress about it right now.

I LOVE not having to go to work:classic_smile:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hey Donna....got my Cobra all worked out.:classic_smile:  I am ok until the summer of 2021. I will need to figure

out what to do for after that because I will not be 65 at that time.  But I will not stress about it right now.

I LOVE not having to go to work:classic_smile:

Fantastic!