Cruise Critic Community
sft429

GTY more expensive than Choose Your Own?

Yes- because technically you could move up a category with a guarantee- but I haven't heard anybody say they did get upgraded to a sky suite when they bid on a concierge- but it could happen.  I guess.

No explanation required, things like this happen from time to time...

If not acceptable, then select your cabin where you will be happiest... at the pricing shown.

bon voyage

Agreed, I'm sure the pricing algorithm decided that this was the way to shift bookings the best to maximum their revenue. I personally would never choose a guarantee unless it was to save a significant amount of money. But guarantee that someone will book it and then be mad about the cabin they get assigned and complain that they could have pick their cabin and saved money but they were expecting to get an upgrade.

Edited by sanger727

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Agreed, I'm sure the pricing algorithm decided that this was the way to shift bookings the best to maximum their revenue. I personally would never choose a guarantee unless it was to save a significant amount of money. But guarantee that someone will book it and then be mad about the cabin they get assigned and complain that they could have pick their cabin and saved money but they were expecting to get an upgrade.

On a cruise several years ago we had a Sky Suite (S1) reserved. After several weeks we saw a Celebrity guarantee available for just a couple hundred dollars more, so we jumped on it. There are no bad locations for Celebrity suites, as you likely know. Then I put us on the 'wait list' (no bid up program at the time). A couple weeks before sailing we got a call and we moved up to a Royal Suite for a total of $500 more. In the end we moved from an S1 to Royal for less than $1,000 total.

Why the $50 difference for a guarantee, in this case, is beyond me. Maybe it costs $50 to not pay attention, right? Good job picking up on this!

Reflection Feb 21

image.thumb.png.49e494f076f67e6f8aa7093b1c8dbfab.png

image.png.67e900a2fe77a634e2672104945db181.png

Edited by gerelmx