Food on Oceania

zltm089

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished. We are not foodies but so far have found the 'best food at sea' to be sorely lacking. Heading to the Polo Grill tonight and looking forward to some improvement.

Oh dear.  I am fast coming to the conclusion that Oceania is not the cruise company for you,  sailco.    I do hope you are more impressed with Polo.    I am horrified to hear that you do not finish the food that you are served.   On this site we keep saying "You won't starve" but it looks as though you are close to being undernourished...   J

43 minutes ago, sailco said:

In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished.

Wow! What do you eat at home that you like? Although I loathe the term "foodie" I'm really into food (both cooking and dining) and I found almost everything above average to really, really good/great. The choices are so broad that I don't see how someone could fail to find things that didn't please them.

50 minutes ago, sailco said:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished. We are not foodies but so far have found the 'best food at sea' to be sorely lacking. Heading to the Polo Grill tonight and looking forward to some improvement.

Based upon our  experiences with over two hundred days on various Oceania ships we are stunned by this statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailco said:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished.

I am worried about your health - you might need intravenous hyperalimentation soon (or disembark in the next port before you starve) 😀

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am worried about your health - you might need intravenous hyperalimentation soon (or disembark in the next port before you starve) 😀

Possibly they thought this was a Weight Watchers cruise? Go home lighter? I have always found something to eat on every cruise line. Even when the seas were so rough on our Antarctica trip with Ponant, I found baguettes to keep my stomach from churning.

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Possibly they thought this was a Weight Watchers cruise? Go home lighter? I have always found something to eat on every cruise line. Even when the seas were so rough on our Antarctica trip with Ponant, I found baguettes to keep my stomach from churning.

Agreed.

On a more serious note, while most of us on this board like/love Oceania for many things, food included, this is why I often suggest that people try a cruise line for themselves rather than simply rely on others' opinions.

What I love to eat someone else might hate and v.v.

Only after trying a cruise line for themselves can they decide whether this is a line for them or not.

I hope OP has better days ahead.

• Like 2

We were on the Regatta recently, and had a nice conversation with another couple.  Similar to sailco, but perhaps in a more subtle way, they said that "they weren't used to eating the type of food served on Oceania".  

We enjoy the food on O very much, but clearly it may not be for everyone.  Hopefully sailco will enjoy Polo.  I might also suggest the always-available simply prepared roast chicken in GDR.  It's one of our favorites, especially with the au jus and the decadent mashed potatoes.

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Agreed.

On a more serious note, while most of us on this board like/love Oceania for many things, food included, this is why I often suggest that people try a cruise line for themselves rather than simply rely on others' opinions.

What I love to eat someone else might hate and v.v.

Only after trying a cruise line for themselves can they decide whether this is a line for them or not.

I hope OP has better days ahead.

Good advice, Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

"they weren't used to eating the type of food served on Oceania". 

Yes but. Bacon and eggs and toast for breakfast. A burger for lunch. Chicken, beef, pasta for dinner. The choices are so broad which is what I most praise it for.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Agreed.

Paul, I have a question for you and I value your experience and opinions.  DH and I happen to love The Terrace and even when booking a top suite, will many times forgo those included reservations. Personally,  Jacques is too heavy and sauced for us and we prefer a much lighter, Provencal type fare. We also love dining al fresco and O has it down pat along with the fact that they serve us from the buffet.  This is why it is actually our fav cruise line. The Terrace Cafe is tops for us and we will sip wine, watch the ocean, and enjoy our conversation vs being stuck inside.

You have cruised on Crystal and will be returning. Do they have any outdoor dining similar to O's Terrace? I am thinking not? Now, I don't want this to get into a comparison of the two lines because this is my only question and do not want to start a Crystal vs O war like Lyn encountered;-). Just wondering. Thank you

29 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

You have cruised on Crystal and will be returning. Do they have any outdoor dining similar to O's Terrace? I am thinking not? Now, I don't want this to get into a comparison of the two lines because this is my only question and do not want to start a Crystal vs O war like Lyn encountered;-). Just wondering. Thank you

We too love the Terrace for lunch or dinners when not dining in specialties.

Here is what I wrote on my review about Crystal’s outdoor dining:

The Lido is not open for dinner – a major disadvantage for us as we often dine at Terrace on Oceania. There are very few outdoor tables but none are shaded. Thus we really could not take full advantage of outdoors dining – it was closed when it rained and way to sunny on a nice day without any shade; umbrellas would be nice; we used the venue on a couple of overcast days.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

We too love the Terrace for lunch or dinners when not dining in specialties.

Here is what I wrote on my review about Crystal’s outdoor dining:

The Lido is not open for dinner – a major disadvantage for us as we often dine at Terrace on Oceania. There are very few outdoor tables but none are shaded. Thus we really could not take full advantage of outdoors dinning – it was closed when it rained and way to sunny on a nice day without any shade; umbrellas would be nice; we used the venue on a couple of overcast days.

Thank you. Nothing better than being in Alaska having breakfast on the Terrace with the Eagles and other birds grabbing a few bites too 😉 

2 minutes ago, sailco said:

A meal served hot would be nice.

You didn't get hot food? Wow, we sure did. Well, if it was supposed to be hot. I liked my salad chilled 🙂 At the Terrace they would actually hand me the plate with a little napkin to hold it by so I wouldn't burn my fingers. What was one dish that really stands out as being not hot enough?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes but. Bacon and eggs and toast for breakfast. A burger for lunch. Chicken, beef, pasta for dinner. The choices are so broad which is what I most praise it for.

I'm not trying to ve difficult but do you really think you've just described the best food at sea?

2 minutes ago, sailco said:

I'm not trying to ve difficult but do you really think you've just described the best food at sea?

I was referring to this comment of yours:

"In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished. " So that would include the things I mentioned. Also we though their bacon was the best that we've ever had. And I had a cheese stuffed lamb burger cooked medium rare that was right up there also. I loved the foie gras, the lobster thermidor, the prime porterhouse, the lobster tails and shrimp grilled to order in the Terrace.

4 minutes ago, sailco said:

I sincerely hope it gets better for you. Are you able to address the issue with someone on board? That usually will help resolve any issues. I am someone who detests my food served lukewarm and will send it back no matter where I am dining. Good Luck to you and hope other aspects of your cruise are not an issue.

28 minutes ago, sailco said:

Perhaps if you tell us what you were expecting then someone might have advice. Then again if you don't like it you don't like it. 

Hope it gets better for you. I've always enjoyed the food on O. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sailco said:

A meal served hot would be nice.

make sure you ask for your food very hot, we have had the same problem, it seems most people are happy with cool food, try the grill in the terrace or pasta station where they cook it while you wait, hope it gets better for you

• Like 1

As long as the ship has the sushi bar I will be happy with the food on my upcoming Sirena cruise Jan. 25. If I are nothing but sushi for 7 days I would be happy. I can also make a meal of the tapas at the Terrace. I don't expect much from any cruise line's food so I am not disappointed by Oceania.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sailco said:

Currently on Nautica and I'm yet to eat anything that impresses me. In fact DH and I have left most meals barely touched or unfinished. We are not foodies but so far have found the 'best food at sea' to be sorely lacking. Heading to the Polo Grill tonight andooking forward to some improvement.

Ah yes...this reminds me of a review of the French Laundry  in Napa.......  The people  found the food terrible  not exciting as it was not like their local diner served...   People have different yard sticks to measure with.     I am reminded ot Jean Shepards quote about his dad "   People only like meat and potatoes and the only eat other things to impress each other.."     I wonder what meals  dining experiences impressed Sailco????     One wonders      Based on personal experiences around the world and many cruise lines, I get the feeling the problem is not with the food

Edited by Hawaiidan