Food on Oceania

zltm089

37 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I think that you are missing the point here 

Yes - the world and dress codes do change.

That said, while your high school and work had dress codes you did comply with them or else.

Your high school and work may no longer have dress codes so people dress as they wish

However, O does have a dress code so people should comply with it

In high school I only complied with the code in a minimal way. I wore a cowboy-style string tie.  Given the paycheck at work I complied with the code, but I actually turned own a job offer at IBM because I found their version of the code to go far beyond what other companies expected.

The point is that Oceania apparently has changed their dress  code...or at a minimum their interpretation of that code, but some people are unwilling to recognize or accept those changes. In Currents it doesn't  say "no jeans", it says "no casual jeans" . I don't know exactly what that means, but the net effect appears to be that many types of jeans are now allowed. Further, the code says "no sandals" but that isn't true. "Sandals" has been interpreted to mean flip-flops. 

Please read the dress code. If Oceania wanted to ban jeans, they would have said so. If I choose to wear my dressy, dark-colored, nicely-cut jeans with a fashionable top and shoes, I will happily do so in full compliance. Comments that ask if it is too much trouble to pack some nice slacks are not helpful; within the posted guidelines, others do not get to dictate my wardrobe choices. Like others who have posted, I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants, and I have seen people in shorts, track suits, t-shirts, and ball caps sitting next to folks in elegant suits and cocktail dresses. And we all had a lovely dinner. Vive la difference!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ptiprof said:

Please read the dress code. If Oceania wanted to ban jeans, they would have said so. If I choose to wear my dressy, dark-colored, nicely-cut jeans with a fashionable top and shoes, I will happily do so in full compliance. Comments that ask if it is too much trouble to pack some nice slacks are not helpful; within the posted guidelines, others do not get to dictate my wardrobe choices. Like others who have posted, I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants, and I have seen people in shorts, track suits, t-shirts, and ball caps sitting next to folks in elegant suits and cocktail dresses. And we all had a lovely dinner. Vive la difference!

You are so right !
If someone is so offended by how others dress they need to stop looking so hard. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ptiprof said:

Not intending to criticize you or anyone else here but what would/will you do if jeans are banned in the GDR and specialty restaurants. Would y'all abide or change cruise lines? 

22 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Very true Henry but AFAIK La Republique does not have a dress code as such - Oceania does.

That's the difference IMO.

La République may be the second highest rated restaurant in LA but it's a very casual place. Any restaurant that serves all day from breakfast through dinner will not be concerned about a dress code.  I understand that O does have a dress code but unfortunately, I think this is an issue of individual interpretation of what smart casual means. And most people today will dress down rather than up. I may not like it and you may not like it but it's a fact and it's not going to change. So again, I won't waste my energy worrying about it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wripro said:

Anyone remember how STUNNED Maggie Smith was on Downton Abbey when The Earl showed up for dinner one night in a dinner jacket (tuxedo) instead of white tie and tails?

Yes, I believe that she asked if wearing pajamas to dinner might be next-

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, clo said:

Not intending to criticize you or anyone else here but what would/will you do if jeans are banned in the GDR and specialty restaurants. Would y'all abide or change cruise lines? 

If the dress code was stringently enforced (i.e., the banning of jeans in GDR and specialties) and they dumped that stupid new allowance for baseball caps earlier in the day at Terrace and GDR, I'd book an extra cruise!

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If the dress code was stringently enforced (i.e., the banning of jeans in GDR and specialties) and they dumped that stupid new allowance for baseball caps earlier in the day at Terrace and GDR, I'd book an extra cruise!

And Oceania would have difficulty filling cruises and lose out on younger cruisers 

5 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

And Oceania would have difficulty filling cruises and lose out on younger cruisers 

On a cruise line that can fill it's just announced held aside world cruise slots in under a month since announcement and fills most of its prime cabins on unique/unusual itineraries within days of announcement (plus is building two new ships), I doubt they (Oceania) has to worry about an eroding passenger base.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On a cruise line that can fill it's just announced held aside world cruise slots in under a month since announcement and fills most of its prime cabins on unique/unusual itineraries within days of announcement (plus is building two new ships), I doubt they (Oceania) has to worry about an eroding passenger base.

All of the lines have to worry about it and it’s why all of the main stream lines have already done away with formal attire (including Oceania who got rid of formal nights). They have to look forward 10-20 years from now when they need the younger generations to supplant the baby boomers. And this is generally what the younger generations want.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

All of the lines have to worry about it and it’s why all of the main stream lines have already done away with formal attire (including Oceania who got rid of formal nights).

When did Oceania have formal nights?

Our 1st cruise was in 2004  & no formal night  back then

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigIslandersFan said:

All of the lines have to worry about it and it’s why all of the main stream lines have already done away with formal attire (including Oceania who got rid of formal nights). They have to look forward 10-20 years from now when they need the younger generations to supplant the baby boomers. And this is generally what the younger generations want.

"No formal nights" on Oceania has been the hallmark for pretty much all of its relatively brief (15 yrs+) existence to date.

I will agree that O wants to broaden its passenger demographics, which is, in part, why it's building 2 new ships. But, what most O loyalists want and expect is that some of the decorous facets of cruising with O will not be lost in the process. And, I trust that you'll agree that their targeted youth represent a very particular socioeconomic segment of th general population.

That said, as in past generations, most cosmopolitan professionals know how to dress for success (even on a vacation - or at the boss's Christmas party). And, as aforementioned, things like baseball caps in a dining venue is just plain rude. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, docmark said:

I thought title of this thread was Oceania FOOD

Food and the surroundings in which is is served is a form of theater  All the players including the patrons are part of it.   This creates ambiance for the benefit of all.  Those  who choose not be part either from ignorance or personal  or agenda ,act to detract from the food experience for all.    For those  who want a free for all... there are the mass market lines.   However, the prem and lux lines wish to retain the dining / cuisine experience of why they are rated  so well and special     Its a total package deal

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 4:07 PM, BigIslandersFan said:

+ 1

Exactly.  Oceania morphed out of Renaissance which also never had formal nights -- although on one Ren cruise I did see a party of 8 who were all in formal attire going into dinner.  They looked great and were having a great time.

Now, back to sauerkraut ...

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:18 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If Oceania wasn't worrying about an eroding passenger base they wouldn't send out ten thousand brochures every month!

7 minutes ago, wripro said:

If Oceania wasn't worrying about an eroding passenger base they wouldn't send out ten thousand brochures every month!

O has always been heavy handed with printed mailers. The alternative would be to flood the market with TV ads like Celebrity, Viking, RCL and the rest of the mass market ships.

BTW: It's easy to stop the brochure mail by altering your notification preferences on the O website.

3 hours ago, wripro said:

I am sure they send a heck of a lot more than that.  Been doing it since almost day one so I guess it pays.  I love to get them.  Like to look at the pretty pictures. 

As a newbie considering Oceania,  reading this thread, and others about the drinks and champagne, makes me wonder if they are no longer some of the best food and drink at sea?   is it going to end up being about the same as Princess?  I am seeing posts about changes and downgrades.  Poor quality steak, etc.   Yes, I understand that O serves a lot of lobster, but is the same cheap frozen dry tasteless overcooked stuff that can be found at Crown Grill on Princess?

What dishes or foods are favorites.  Live up to the standard? 

What are you experts go-to menu items?

PS:  As a newbie, I have already see a LOT about the more relaxed dress code.  It does seem clear to me that this is not one of the other upscale cruise-lines where one 'dresses' for dinner.   Perhaps some remember differently.  But that seems to be the current information portrayed.  That seems to be the way they are.  I feel that if I get dressed in my jewelry and heels, I will be the one who stands out!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

We sailed Oceania  (Riviera) this past July and thought the food was outstanding-comparable to Silversea. We traveled as a group of 6 and we all think we're foodies. The Dover Sole at Jacques was to die for. In fact, I begged an extra night there for our group. Pole Grill was nothing special but then again, you can get a steak anywhere. The Grand Dining was as excellent as I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. We sailed Regent a couple months earlier and except for the excellent excursions, Regent may as well have been Celebrity. (Nothing wrong with Celebrity but you expect much more at the Regent price point). We also enjoyed the Asian Restaurant on

Oceania. 

It's nice not having to get dressed up to eat great food. We loved the ship and booked Northern Europe on Oceania for this summer. Can't wait to eat again!