Pregnancy policy

PK34

We are so excited to be adding a grandbaby to our family this late July/ early August!!  However, this does interfere with our cruise plans!!  Does anyone have experience with deferring and/or canceling a nonrefundable fare?  My daughter’s preference would be to go on the the cruise, however she will either still

be pregnant or have just delivered. 

6 minutes ago, PK34 said:

We are so excited to be adding a grandbaby to our family this late July/ early August!!  However, this does interfere with our cruise plans!!  Does anyone have experience with deferring and/or canceling a nonrefundable fare?  My daughter’s preference would be to go on the the cruise, however she will either still

be pregnant or have just delivered. 

It's before final payment so that's not an issue.  Non-refundable means just that.  You can cancel and reschedule but they won't change the rules.  It's not the fare that's non-refundable, it's the deposit.  You'll lose your deposit. I think that's a small price to pay for a new baby in the family.  

Edited by BND

A non refundable deposit means that there will be a $100 per person change fee.  The balance of thevdeposit will be issued as a FCC that must be applied to a cruise within a year.  The actual sail date can be further out than a year.

In most cases Royal will not waive this fee however if you call and explain your situation they have been known to grant some exceptions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

The balance of the deposit will be issued as a FCC that must be applied to a cruise within a year.  The actual sail date can be further out than a year.

I don't think that's totally correct.  I believe you have to sail within one year of the date when you canceled.  

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No.  It is applied by.  Personal experience.

We had to do it also with FCC's due to a cancelation for "any reason."  It's been a while but I think you have to book within a year and sail within a year.  I know it's not an open ended sailing date.  But not all FCC's might be the same as here's what RCCL says. 

Future Cruise Certificates (FCCs) are discount offers made as a goodwill gesture to resolve service failures and guest dissatisfaction. They have a one-year expiration date and can be used in conjunction with coupons and promotions, but are normally not applicable to holiday or inaugural sailings. The terms and conditions of use for FCCs can be found on the certificate.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

4 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We had to do it also with FCC's due to a cancelation for "any reason."  It's been a while but I think you have to book within a year and sail within a year.  I know it's not an open ended sailing date.  

No I have had to do this for several clients.  The deposit must be applied within a year.  The actual sailing date can be greater than that.  If I were to cancel today, I could wait until next December to apply it an by then itineraries would be open until April of 2023 of which I could apply it to.  

You are right it is not open ended as you are limited by the latest available itinerary at the time you apply it.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Since when is pregnancy a “covered” reason?

It's not about what is covered it's about what is excluded from coverage.  I'm not aware of pregnancy being excluded.    It would either be a medical reason not allowing sailing or would be "for any reason" clause.    

Since you mentioned it, she will not be able to go after delivery as RCL, and all cruise lines except Disney, require babies to be at least 6 months old to sail. Also, they do not allow pregnant women after 24 weeks,  cruise lines do not have the equipment to deal with those issues. 

The only thing they can do is wait until final payment if they want more time to cancel, so then they can have more options once the new dates come up.

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

It's not about what is covered it's about what is excluded from coverage.  I'm not aware of pregnancy being excluded.    It would either be a medical reason not allowing sailing or would be "for any reason" clause.    

All the policies I've looked at for cruises exclude pregnancy. I obviously haven't seen all policies, but it seemed par for the course. 

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No I have had to do this for several clients.  The deposit must be applied within a year.  The actual sailing date can be greater than that.  If I were to cancel today, I could wait until next December to apply it an by then itineraries would be open until April of 2023 of which I could apply it to.  

You are right it is not open ended as you are limited by the latest available itinerary at the time you apply it.  

Let's not forget who we are dealing with here.  While Royal is never consistent, FCC rules are truly inconsistent.

I've personally been blocked from using an FCC for a cruise that booked within a year but sailed later than one year away.

We all know better than to state absolutes with Royal.  That is especially true with FCC policy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Let's not forget who we are dealing with here.  While Royal is never consistent, FCC rules are truly inconsistent.

I've personally been blocked from using an FCC for a cruise that booked within a year but sailed later than one year away.

We all know better than to state absolutes with Royal.  That is especially true with FCC policy. 

I agree that there have been different rules for the FCC’s however there are FCC’s that are issued for different reasons and that reason will dictate the differing terms.

Was your FCC for a cancelled deposit? Or was it given for some other reason.

I was only stating actual experiences and what I have been told by the reps that I deal with at Royal in this situation that the OP is in bit I also understand that depending on the rep that you get can sometimes affect your outcome.  

43 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I agree that there have been different rules for the FCC’s however there are FCC’s that are issued for different reasons and that reason will dictate the differing terms.

Was your FCC for a cancelled deposit? Or was it given for some other reason.

I was only stating actual experiences and what I have been told by the reps that I deal with at Royal in this situation that the OP is in bit I also understand that depending on the rep that you get can sometimes affect your outcome.  

Cancelled cruises by Royal, cancelled NRD by me, issues on board.  All of my FCC, over a dozen, have stated “must sail by”.  When I’ve tried to exceed that by sailing more than a year away I’ve been rejected.  

As someone else stated, she will not be able to sail. Cruiselines are very strict on not allowing women to sail after they are 24 weeks pregnant and babies can't sail until 6 months or a year--depending on itinerary (except Disney). 

I sailed at 14/15 weeks pregnant and had to provide a letter from my doctor saying I was ok to cruise (no complications, etc.) and how far along I was. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No.  It is applied by.  Personal experience.

I had cruises booked for the Allure but wanted to change to the Freedom and was able to apply my FCC as deposits to the two Freedom sailings. The two Freedom sailings were past the 1 year mark but because they were already booked vs waiting on RCCL to offer me  different cruises, RCCL ok'd the FCC be applied. The Allure went in for dry dock causing me to switch

1 hour ago, flhokie said:

As someone else stated, she will not be able to sail. Cruiselines are very strict on not allowing women to sail after they are 24 weeks pregnant and babies can't sail until 6 months or a year--depending on itinerary (except Disney). 

I sailed at 14/15 weeks pregnant and had to provide a letter from my doctor saying I was ok to cruise (no complications, etc.) and how far along I was. 

I dont know why people have mentioned it twice in this thread but Disney are also 6 months to sail, (or a year for transatlantic, Panama and Hawaii sailings) and has been for nearly 5 years now...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The OP doesn't say that they have insurance.  So that may not be a player.

Typically insurance doesn't come into play for cancelling before final payment, and generally hasn't been paid yet anyway.  If you used insurance to get the $100pp back you would then have to pay the insurance, usually higher than that.  And they probably would not reimburse a FCC you decided not to use.

20 hours ago, BND said:

It's before final payment so that's not an issue.  Non-refundable means just that.  You can cancel and reschedule but they won't change the rules.  It's not the fare that's non-refundable, it's the deposit.  You'll lose your deposit. I think that's a small price to pay for a new baby in the family.  

You don't lose all of your deposit

Edited by cruisinfanatic

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

You don't lose all of your deposit

Depends on where you booked.  We book onboard and deposit is usually $100 per person so in that case, yes we would lose all the deposit.

12 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

I dont know why people have mentioned it twice in this thread but Disney are also 6 months to sail, (or a year for transatlantic, Panama and Hawaii sailings) and has been for nearly 5 years now...

Because we haven't been able to afford to sail them again in the last five years and now my kids are old enough I don't check.☺