Marella Discovery Itinerary Change. Colours of the Far East (Merged threads).

3 minutes ago, ekco said:

Just packing ready to leave on a Thursday.  Difficult to get into light clothes mode and having to think about dressing for meals on the ship, trips, temples, beach, evening wear, etc.  Then there’s the shoes, what goes with what outfit.  It’sactually easier packing for the Arctic Sun cruise.  It’s all your fault Keith posting all of those scorching temperatures. Tried to check in on Thursday, dead on time but already closed.  They must have reached 80% so check in at the airport then, saves printing out the boarding cards.  First Defence nasal spray bought and face masks ordered and in the post just in case, you never know.  Better to be safe than sorry, anyone sneezing near me on the plane and the mask goes on.  I speak from experience, on a trip in Tenerife a woman behind and across the aisle sneezed constantly out in the open air and even though I covered my face with a scarf I caught it and was really ill for a month, thanks a lot whoever you were and take a tissue next time.

Yes, it's getting closer now, especially for you, I guess we will pass on the 13th February as you disembark while we arrive. The dressing up is easy for us men, the tucs get packed and that does for the formal/dress to impress nights, it must be a nightmare for you ladies. 🤔

Regarding those temperatures we normally head to the Caribbean and it is hotter and more humid for this cruise, but then we are on or close to the equator this time.

Just checked my account online and our check-in is 30th January, my 2nd grandsons birthday, so I won't forget.

M Wife came back today with the mozzi repellents today and much more. I can remember coming back (yes coming back) from the Caribbean and the plane was like the ENT ward at the hospital, some terrible coughs and yes I had the following week! Hopefully this Chinese virus won't cause any problems, but I guess we are probably safer on the ship in many ways. 🤣

image.png.057787d934daf0671b04d68e27ccdfb7.png

As yet, we have had no emails from TUI, so apart from the 6 hours later than previously advertised flight, nothing has changed - yet - All the ports are still listed on both my account and excursions.

I really hope you get ALL yours reistated, I'm sure they are trying their best to do so and with Captain Chris hw will go the extra mile, albeit a nautical one.

Keith (Southend)

No refund here yet, they didn’t bother to instigate it until 5th January after emailing us on the 20th December so that’s 2 weeks later than we thought.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  I have been wrestling a jumper out of my husbands packing with great resistance from him.  Nothing changes.😃

Welcome home Margaret, hope your flight was ok and you managed to get some sleep.

Jan

Thanks Keith, that was interesting.  I’ve bought some footies in place of socks for my feet In the temples, nice and small to carry around.  Good to know not to point and to stand up when the monks and nuns enter.

http://www.weather.gov.sg/weather-satellite-geo-stationary/

I've been looking at this daily and it's interesting how the ICCZ (Inter Continental Convergence Zone) has slipped south further, as it should this time of year, this is basically the active equatorial band of weather around the globe, as generally February is the driest month of the year around these parts (It still rains, but not as much).

Keith (Southend)

On 1/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, ekco said:

I forgot to ask Margaret.  Are they still providing town maps on the ship? Last year in Norway they stopped providing them which I thought was a bit penny pinching to say the least after spending over £4000.

IT was explained on our recent Dream trip that the company are trying to cut down on excess paper use as part of the eco drive.

On the dream they have a desk copy and show it on a screen so you could take a picture.

These days with phones and downloadable(offline) maps  the need for the paper ones is much reduced.

I like both but use the navigation on the phone most for getting around.

I try to remember to download the google offline map for each are we will dock before leaving.

Tui don’t mind us having to print loads of paper though.  I am this very moment having to print my e-tickets as we are checking in at the airport.  Pages and pages of it to go through to sort out which pages to print.  At least they can print the boarding cards. All of this to drag around and bin after the holiday, not to mention the shed loads we get in the cabin which all goes in the bin, maybe recycled, maybe not but still loads of ink wasted.  Less of that and a paper map to put in your pocket instead of a bulky phone with a hard to read screen in the blazing sun, they don’t actually need to print in colour.  Been there done that.  On Jet2 my boarding card worked ok on the phone, my husband’s didn’t causing a big fuss at the gate.  SIx times we had to show the boarding cards at Funchal, even up the steps onto the plane, getting the phone out and firing up the screen.  All of this is a different thread though.

The link from my booking account to the book excursions site now works, I just tried it. Upto now I have just had that page bookmarked as the link just sent me to generic page. All locations are listed still on our itinerary with17 days to go.

Keith (Southend)

Edited by Southendweather
typo

I had no trouble booking excursions through the link but don’t leave it too late as it doesn’t work in the last week before departure.  All packed here and the clothes are shrink wrapped which gives us a lot more room in the case and keeps the clothes in better condition.  A couple of days to relax.

Currently on Marella Discovery. All ports of call back on itinerary with the exception of Malacca. Port arrival times virtually back on schedule.

Having a great time. No problems with ship and speed is comparable if not faster than the Caribbean cruises we’ve been on, hence no stability issues. 
Captain and crew excellent!

57 minutes ago, Unhappyshipmate said:

Currently on Marella Discovery. All ports of call back on itinerary with the exception of Malacca. Port arrival times virtually back on schedule.

Having a great time. No problems with ship and speed is comparable if not faster than the Caribbean cruises we’ve been on, hence no stability issues. 
Captain and crew excellent!

Thats good to hear, enjoy. Joining on 6th

Thank goodness after all this angst, not a great run up to a holiday.  If I had a choice, after a lot of research, I would gladly swap Sihanoukville for Malacca.  Does anyone know if we have to buy a visa even if we stay on the ship that day?  Waiting for my face mask delivery, I would advise anyone going to the region to buy some from ebay as a precaution to put in your bag offshore, they are sold out in all of these countries.  This outbreak might fizzle out or could escalate big time. Just call me Howard Hughes.😃. Can’t be too careful and they are cheap enough.

22 minutes ago, ekco said:

Thank goodness after all this angst, not a great run up to a holiday.  If I had a choice, after a lot of research, I would gladly swap Sihanoukville for Malacca.  Does anyone know if we have to buy a visa even if we stay on the ship that day?  Waiting for my face mask delivery, I would advise anyone going to the region to buy some from ebay as a precaution to put in your bag offshore, they are sold out in all of these countries.  This outbreak might fizzle out or could escalate big time. Just call me Howard Hughes.😃. Can’t be too careful and they are cheap enough.

Everyone on the ship had to have a visa. We stayed on board at Sihanoukville and the visa cost was charged to our account. I suspect you "arrive" in Cambodia just by docking.

We also would have preferred to go to Mallaca. But we had a good time with the one-off bonus of staying late in Singapore (left at 2300h). That's not going to happen again.

And don't do this (date and "British" suggests it was Discovery):

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50684076/british-who-got-lost-from-cruise-ship-found-and-returned

Thanks for the replies, we might as well go ashore if we have to pay anyway.  The beach looks nice. Always take taxi money ashore and the ships phone number just in case.  We were in Marmaris for a cruise and stay and were hanging around the second week watching the ship, due to leave around 11pm.  All well and good but they locked the port gates at 10 pm leaving people panicking as they tried to get back from a quiet drink ashore, they did get them opened thankfully.  One time we were doing a trip to Gallipoli, the guide never shut up for a whole 7 hours.  Every few minutes we stopped at a war cemetery with 10 minutes there, barely enough time to get off and pay respects.  We hurried back to the coach at one stop to see it driving off! Jumped in a lone taxi as it was very isolated but luckily the bus came back thanks to our fellow passengers.  Lets just say I know about Attaturk than I ever want to know.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, ekco said:

Tui don’t mind us having to print loads of paper though.  I am this very moment having to print my e-tickets as we are checking in at the airport.  Pages and pages of it to go through to sort out which pages to print.  

I  print as a A5 booklet(on A4) used 3 sheets for everything including the ATOL certificate.

5 hours ago, Margaret Rees said:

Sihanoukville is worth getting off ship for . Take a taxi to the temple and see the destruction the Chinese have caused then head to the Sokha beach resort for a few hours.

8AD971D6-8CAF-41C2-8CAC-84744AF38789.jpeg

8F990A43-F9B1-4047-A6EC-7F095F6B4A1B.jpeg

F5DC4E89-DB50-4837-B77F-4DB29A28CF34.jpeg

Hi Margaret, I'm still wondering what currenies to take on this trip as I can't see us spending much, what would you advise? Thanks Keith (Southend)

We are doing the Sihanoukville Grand Tour Excursion which ends up at Socha beach resort, looks like we picked a good one.

Edited by Southendweather
Added a little more

We  bought £100 of American Dollars from Debenham’s in person as internet ordering is £200 minimum.  They change them back as well.  The face masks have arrived, nice and quick.  Check out trip advisor for reviews on Sihanoukville.

Edited by ekco
  • Like 1

Cambodia and Vietnam $US

Singapore need Singapore dollar

Langkawi and Penang and KL we used both US $ and Ringit. 
Thailand we used Baht and US $
There are plenty of money exchanges ,the one in Penang before you exit the terminal gave a very fair rate. 
The ships rate is poor but convenient and if you only need a few is an option.

• Thanks 1

image.png.2e99c41ae061cd0dd707ba98e7292445.png

A couple of snippits from my latest spreadsheet.

The highest Maximum temperature on the 26th January 2020 for my *Asia* spreadsheet was:

48450 Kanchanaburi(29m) Thailand 37.0°C

The highest Minimum temperature on the 26th January 2020 for my *Asia* spreadsheet was:

48457,48478, Bangkok Pilot(14m),Rayong(3m),both Thailand, 27.6°C

Humidity of 68% at Bangkok Pilot at mid day as well.

Keith (Southend)

http://www.southendweather.net/

35 minutes ago, ekco said:

They are disinfecting planes in Thailand, 14 cases up to now.

We will be on chartered flights to and from the UK purely for cruising on Marella Discovery so less risk than other sheduled flights. We are on the ship most of the time and on the whole when visiting these Country's, out in the warm air, not in a stuffy heated crowded room on a winteres day. I really wouldn't worry to much about it.

I think you are off tomorrow evening from Manchester ecko, have a great time 😎🏝️☀️🌏🌡️