Cruise Critic Community
Fly Fast Cruise Slow

Holiday 2020 Cruise Fares - Crystal vs. Regent

10 hours ago, Mask-1234 said:

I would not post pictures of grandchildren on social media either too many child predators out there.  I would privately send pictures to relatives and friends only.

My business is photography and mostly kids and family. I totally don't agree with this. My work is regularly posted online by parents and grandparents.  It's so sad to hide photographs of people you love.

Sorry my  mistake.  However, I would not post pictures of children on social media.  Just my opinion. Friends and family fine.  

2 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

My business is photography and mostly kids and family. I totally don't agree with this. My work is regularly posted online by parents and grandparents.  It's so sad to hide photographs of people you love.

Have you seen how much predators find these kids on social media?  I’m fine with sending pictures to family and friends but not doing it on a site that can be Vulnerable to kids.  

11 minutes ago, Mask-1234 said:

Have you seen how much predators find these kids on social media?  I’m fine with sending pictures to family and friends but not doing it on a site that can be Vulnerable to kids.  

"And in the category of Veering Off Topic on Cruise Critic:

The Oscar goes to..."

10 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

"And in the category of Veering Off Topic on Cruise Critic:

The Oscar goes to..."

Don’t be so hasty with the award - I think we could build a pretty impressive list of nominees that would challenge this one  

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Don’t be so hasty with the award - I think we could build a pretty impressive list of nominees that would challenge this one  

And "Dances with Wolves" beat, among others, "Goodfellas" for best picture.

The judges stand by their decision.

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

The catch is that you would not be getting the same product in other ways besides losing the specific room reservation.  And at least some of the OG/VG/PG fares say that the Crystal Society Discount, Onboard Booking Discount, and/or the Early Payment Discount would not apply.  I'm not sure about b2b discounts.  All of that would reduce the percent savings for changing the booking.  And they could potentially also not give you milestone credits for that trip.

That's very true - I will be leaving for a cruise in a couple of weeks after taking advantage of one of the G fares.  In my case an SG as it's the Esprit, and you're correct there were none of the 'regular' discounts applicable, it had to be paid in full at the time of booking, and I believe it won't count towards my Society credits.... I can understand the 'no discounts applicable' but I don't see why these fares shouldn't earn CS credits???

Anne...

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

And "Dances with Wolves" beat, among others, "Goodfellas" for best picture.

And you think that's worse than 1979 when Apocalypse Now lost to Kramer Vs Kramer? Or how about High Noon losing to whatever won in 1952?

That's just cray-cray!

6 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

That's very true - I will be leaving for a cruise in a couple of weeks after taking advantage of one of the G fares.  In my case an SG as it's the Esprit, and you're correct there were none of the 'regular' discounts applicable, it had to be paid in full at the time of booking, and I believe it won't count towards my Society credits.... I can understand the 'no discounts applicable' but I don't see why these fares shouldn't earn CS credits???

Anne...

Of course, we feel for you, Anne. It does look a bit mean. (And in our experience a G fare has included credits. But perhaps the rule varies by sailing.)

However our overriding feeling is more akin to jealousy! This trip seems to have long in coming and you can be sure that there are many of us looking forward to hearing how you find Esprit.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

Adrian

59 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Of course, we feel for you, Anne. It does look a bit mean. (And in our experience a G fare has included credits. But perhaps the rule varies by sailing.)

However our overriding feeling is more akin to jealousy! This trip seems to have long in coming and you can be sure that there are many of us looking forward to hearing how you find Esprit.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  The credit is the least of my concerns as I’m never going to accrue enough for them to be of any value!!!  At the moment I’m more concerned that both the ship and I are in a rather precarious position just now so it’s fingers crossed both the Esprit and I get out of here and to the Seychelles safely to enjoy the trip!!!!    If we do then for sure I will report back, but as we are used to hearing on this board - time will tell..😀😀

Anne...

23 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

Wow, thanks for that. Let me see if my feeble understanding of a little of what Crystal is up to translates into your final paragraph above.

I occurs to me that a consequence of the new flex fares is the elimination of refunds across a cabin category to those of us who booked earlier at a higher price.   In other words, no more checking w your TA to see if the price went down, you are on the hook for your transaction price. There's Crystal's elimination of margin erosion.

Is that your point above, or am I completely lost at sea?

On another note, all this makes me thank the cruise gods even more for drib's fine work.  

22 hours ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

In fact, I am going to answer my own question...using drib’s analysis and looking at our upcoming Papeete to Auckland cruise in February, as an example, the B3-P1 fares remained unchanged from when they were first introduced in May 2018. A B3 was and remains $6,349. However,