Platinum Latitudes Rewards

MeHeartCruising

5 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it up before you leave........ sorry NCL inconvenienced you by making a decision towards being environmentally friendly.

But thank you for another example that no matter what companies do there will always be a critic because it didn't individually suit them. 

I am sorry too, gonna cost me a lot of money and as stated before in my case more waste to boot!!!

9 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I am sorry too, gonna cost me a lot of money and as stated before in my case more waste to boot!!!

How?  Seriously do not understand the "more waste" and "cost me more" arguments.... 

More money saved and less environmental waste if you purchase a reusable water bottle or even a 6 pack of 1 liter Target purified water and bring on those on board (empty) 

2 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

How?  Seriously do not understand the "more waste" and "cost me more" arguments.... 

More money saved and less environmental waste if you purchase a reusable water bottle or even a 6 pack of 1 liter Target purified water and bring on those on board (empty) 

Well ncl used to give me water bottles for free, now I have to buy water bottles just to bring on board empty, and the carton (not 100 percent recyclable, with plastic and aluminum) will be more waste because I still need the water bottles.  For others it may work but for me more waste not less and more money out of my pocket.

12 hours ago, el barco said:

We have also just reached Platinum on NCL and are looking forward to our next cruise in March. We are taking our children and grandchildren with us as it coincides with a big birthday.

Does anyone know if it is possible for us to give our free meal at Cagneys/Le Bistro and Moderno to our adult children to enjoy instead of us, as we have eaten at all of these restaurants before, but it would be a real treat for them.

I do know it says no transferable on the voucher but how rigid is this

Any help please

Many thanks

All 4 times on 2 different cruises, we used the dinner package and let our guests (parents twice and children twice) use our Platinum Vouchers.  I just told them when I checked in who was going to be charged to which offer.  In all cases, we were in the same room so maybe that helped?  I hope this works for you too.  

Edited by k9Rulez

On 1/20/2020 at 7:35 AM, Newleno said:

Well ncl used to give me water bottles for free, now I have to buy water bottles just to bring on board empty, and the carton (not 100 percent recyclable, with plastic and aluminum) will be more waste because I still need the water bottles.  For others it may work but for me more waste not less and more money out of my pocket.

Let me see.  I fly to my destination, so if I want to have water available during the flight, I either have to bring an empty bottle with me or buy something at the airport.  And that's the bottle I use for taking ashore during the cruise.  No additional cost because NCL won't give me a bottle.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:13 AM, Newleno said:

The cartons are biodegradable for the most part and will be naturally recycled in a few years.    Plastics last forever, we have not developed micros to eat them up, they will also be threats to the animals that must move through them or confuse them for food and clog their systems up.  It is not just about us.

I'm all for being more ecologically friendly even if it ends up costing us a little bit more to be able to do it.  Having said that, I'm still not convinced of how ecologically friendly the "Just Water" bottles/cartons are.  The entire top portion is still made of plastic (I have been told it is a sugarcane-based plastic that can be recycled in some form in certain instances.  Sounds complicated).  Additionally, the inside liner of the "carton" is made of aluminum.  Wouldn't you have to strip out the aluminum from the cardboard to be able to recycle the cardboard portion?  Also, isn't aluminum considered a carcinogen when paired with food items?    I'm not sold on "Just Water" as a true ecological solution.  Why can't they just put spring water in an actual 100% paper-based carton and call it a day?  Why the need for adding the plastic and aluminum to the Just Water cartons/bottles?

Edited by MichiganBound
Corrections
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:38 AM, el barco said:

We have also just reached Platinum on NCL and are looking forward to our next cruise in March. We are taking our children and grandchildren with us as it coincides with a big birthday.

Does anyone know if it is possible for us to give our free meal at Cagneys/Le Bistro and Moderno to our adult children to enjoy instead of us, as we have eaten at all of these restaurants before, but it would be a real treat for them.

I do know it says no transferable on the voucher but how rigid is this

Any help please

Many thanks

If you go with your friends, I have not had an issue

DW and I are platinum, but kids (of course) are not (in theory, even though they have done all the cruising with us). We have the 3 meal dining package, and the kids do not, so we use the certificates to take them to 2 of the dinners, and just pay for the 3rd.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Beaver1975 said:

So, they should shut down the engines so you have no electricity while in port?

Should have just stopped after the first sentence, that would have have been in staying with the topic at hand.

The NY Times article cited by previous poster reports that their dock has electric plug in capacity for the ships, but most are not using that and instead burning diesel all day long, perhaps to avoid electric charges. The city’s effort to avoid this pollution seems like something the cruise lines should be working with.  They don’t have a great reputation on environmental care.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:23 PM, julig22 said:

Let me see.  I fly to my destination, so if I want to have water available during the flight, I either have to bring an empty bottle with me or buy something at the airport.  And that's the bottle I use for taking ashore during the cruise.  No additional cost because NCL won't give me a bottle.

The disposable water bottle i use for flights are a lot bigger than the disposable water bottle i use for shore, just personal differences here, no right or wrong, so once again for my situation more waste not less

9 hours ago, Hotspring said:

The cartons are biodegradable for the most part and will be naturally recycled in a few years.    Plastics last forever, we have not developed micros to eat them up, they will also be threats to the animals that must move through them or confuse them for food and clog their systems up.  It is not just about us.

And LSU won the national championship, however that has nothing to do with the fact, not opinion but fact that for my situation the new policy creates more waste not less, also plastics last forever is a myth propagated by the hypocrits that fly around in private jets talking about the environment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Indeed they are. We just got off a 20-day cruise on the Gem, and refilled them many times. 

The new cartons are refillable and durable?, Well if that is the case that changes the whole argument, dont know how you clean a carton with soap everyday but if it works great!!

The complimentary Platinum Behind The Scene lately (true for the last 5 that we've done, different ships) had been shortened to about 1 hour only.  One on the Breakaway ran a little longer, about 75 minutes as we had fellow P members that needed extra time due to mobility limitations, everyone was kind & considerate as our tour guide from CruiseNext was very good.  

Hence, if the tour meet & leave promptly at 9 to 9:15 am - plenty of time to be finished by/before 10:30 am - to get over to the M&G scheduled for 11 am.  

Of course, for a larger group expected for a M&G, it is wise to suggest and ask everyone signed up to come 10 to 15 minutes to get their name tags filled out, mingle around a bit first and enjoy the free light refreshment, etc. 

Just now, Newleno said:

The new cartons are refillable and durable?, Well if that is the case that changes the whole argument, dont know how you clean a carton with soap everyday but if it works great!!

Well, we didn’t clean the cartons with soap everyday. How did we survive? 🤣

4 hours ago, Islandattorney said:

The NY Times article cited by previous poster reports that their dock has electric plug in capacity for the ships, but most are not using that and instead burning diesel all day long, perhaps to avoid electric charges. The city’s effort to avoid this pollution seems like something the cruise lines should be working with.  They don’t have a great reputation on environmental care.

At what cost to the cruise lines? Very prohibitive I would guess.