Porthole Cabins

Cincy2

When cruising SOLO, which is most of the time, I always try to get an "inside" porthole cabin. Carnival is on to this now and usually charges a slight upgrade price for it, but fine with me. The negatives, of course, it's located at the absolute front of the ship far from anything of any significance for me (I tend to hang out in the aft bar, buffet, pool area of the ship) If you don't mind the constant slamming of the sea against the bow, which at first confused me into thinking someone was slamming empty pallets around. Once I got used to it, it was like a grandfather clock. LOL. Morning sunlight into your cabin more than compensates that for me.

There was always plenty of room, even enough room for a queen bed, but never got one there. I've noticed they are almost always SOLD OUT unless you book very early, a year or so in advance of the cruise. You can't go wrong if your always out and about and only use the cabin to shower, change clothes and sleep (if you must), IMHO. 🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, glrounds said:

When cruising SOLO, which is most of the time, I always try to get an "inside" porthole cabin. Carnival is on to this now and usually charges a slight upgrade price for it, but fine with me. The negatives, of course, it's located at the absolute front of the ship far from anything of any significance for me (I tend to hang out in the aft bar, buffet, pool area of the ship) If you don't mind the constant slamming of the sea against the bow, which at first confused me into thinking someone was slamming empty pallets around. Once I got used to it, it was like a grandfather clock. LOL. Morning sunlight into your cabin more than compensates that for me.

There was always plenty of room, even enough room for a queen bed, but never got one there. I've noticed they are almost always SOLD OUT unless you book very early, a year or so in advance of the cruise. You can't go wrong if your always out and about and only use the cabin to shower, change clothes and sleep (if you must), IMHO. 🙂

Thanks for the detailed response.  Much appreciated.  I am looking at 2022 so should still be available.  

Are you cruising solo, or with someone else?

I was recently on the Splendor for 31 days and I had a 1A with portholes and a couch (2212) I travel solo, so it had a twin bed, which meant more space in the cabin. I loved it, and will definitely book in the future. I like being in the front, because there is a lot less foot traffic, going back and forth.

If there are 2 of you, I think you will like the PT cabins....also take a look at the 4J’s. They are sold as interiors with picture window. They are in the front of the ship, and have a big open deck in front of you. I also had one of these for 33 days on the Vista.

PS I don’t see a 2022...maybe 2220?

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

I think they meant the year 2022.

2 hours ago, Cincy2 said:

Hi! Looking for suggestions for porthole cabins on Carnival Valor. Have you stayed in one and were there any issues? Cabin # would be great.  Thanks!

I have been in cabin 1206 on the Triumph/Sunrise twice.  I was solo the first time.  It is an upper/lower porthole cabin.  It has a twin bed and an upper pullman that comes out of the ceiling.  I had the twin bed under it.  I had the couch along the same wall as the twin bed.  That left alot of open floor space.  I can sit on the window sill.

I was with my mom the second time.  My mom avoids having someone sleeping above her whenever possible, so I had the couch under the upper pullman and the twin bed sticking out.

I don't get any kind of motion sick, so I love the gentle rocking.  It's relaxing.  When you get back on the ship from a port, you only have to go up one deck.  The area is fairly quiet because no one is going near there unless they are in one of those cabins.  I also get a stronger wifi signal from there as opposed to an aft cabin.

Cabin 1211 and 1212 on the Valor are the same size with the same setup as 1206 on the Triumph/Sunrise.  1207, 1208, 2211, 2212, 2216, and 2217 on the Valor have a twin bed and sofa bed.  2211, 2212, 2216, and 2217 are directly under a crew area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glrounds said:

I'm booked in 2211 on the PANORAMA January 18th. 🙂

2211 has the sofa couch, great minds think alike. We have the same category in February aboard Panorama. Here's hoping you will start a thread with your impressions of your cruise. I value your opinion. Have fun, Gary.

3 hours ago, Cincy2 said:

Hi! Looking for suggestions for porthole cabins on Carnival Valor. Have you stayed in one and were there any issues? Cabin # would be great.  Thanks!

Nothing wrong with a port hole cabin. If you like being in the front of the ship. Way up front and the ocean smashes against the hull of the ship. It is loud. I have no problem with it. Some might.Basically the same as all other OV cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I was recently on the Splendor for 31 days and I had a 1A with portholes and a couch (2212) I travel solo, so it had a twin bed, which meant more space in the cabin. I loved it, and will definitely book in the future. I like being in the front, because there is a lot less foot traffic, going back and forth.

If there are 2 of you, I think you will like the PT cabins....also take a look at the 4J’s. They are sold as interiors with picture window. They are in the front of the ship, and have a big open deck in front of you. I also had one of these for 33 days on the Vista.

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Sorry.  I meant the year. Thank you!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Hey Fellow Porthole Fans,

Here is the party line...portholes are awful, too far to walk, too quiet, the extra storage by the portholes terrible....

We don't need the secret getting out.

Ha! That couch is super uncomfortable too. You're not missing anything by booking an interior and not having a couch. 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Here is the party line...portholes are awful, too far to walk, too quiet, the extra storage by the portholes terrible....

LOL . . . they used to be the same price, but even Carnival is on to that not so well-kept secret, unfortunately and get a tad more money for them. I always play up the long walk and the sound of the bow taking on those swells constantly all night long. 🙂

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, simplelife said:

I generally book a porthole cabin - it offers a very good value over an OV.  Usually  I'm offered an upgrade to an OV or Skyview - if the price is reasonable, sometimes I take it. But porthole is our default.

Maybe it's my imagination but I think our portholes have been cleaner and easier to see through than the window of an OV. The OV windows can be like trying to see through dried milk.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, glrounds said:

LOL . . . they used to be the same price, but even Carnival is on to that not so well-kept secret, unfortunately and get a tad more money for them. I always play up the long walk and the sound of the bow taking on those swells constantly all night long. 🙂

That’s why cruising as a solo, I take a 1A with portholes. It’s cheaper, and I don’t mind the twin bed.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mouche said:

This is from the Sunshine, not sure of cabin #

pt hole.jpg

This is what I meant when I said there was room for a Queen in the last porthole cabin I had. I would imagine though it eliminates the couch on some of them. Still an absolute bargain in spite of the long walk and sea pounding all night. 🙂

I would also be interested in the 4Js that CruznDeb was talking about. Are they listed under "insides" big up grade or "oceanviews" less expensive ?

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, glrounds said:

This is what I meant when I said there was room for a Queen in the last porthole cabin I had. I would imagine though it eliminates the couch on some of them. Still an absolute bargain in spite of the long walk and sea pounding all night. 🙂

I would also be interested in the 4Js that CruznDeb was talking about. Are they listed under "insides" big up grade or "oceanviews" less expensive ?

4Js are almost impossible to find.  They are listed as interiors  are more $$ but not as much as OV

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I've got my second 4J booked for our upcoming Panorama cruise.  Had my first on the Glory a little more than a year ago and loved it!  They are less expensive than an OV and just a tad more expensive than an inside but you get the big window.  It does look out on a public deck, but almost no one goes out there.  Also, there are sheer curtains behind the regular ones that help provide some privacy while letting in the light.  You do have to keep the heavy curtains closed at night while your lights are on to cut down on light pollution interfering with the Bridge above, but since there's a pubic deck there anyways this was never an issue for us - would have closed 'em anyways.  There are very few of these on each ship so can be hard to book.  This time we booked an inside, then checked back and found a CORNER 4J which is even more special.  I'll be sure to check back in to CC in mid Feb to let you all know all about it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

Are they listed under "insides" big up grade or "oceanviews" less expensive ?

When I look at the available 4J's I can never find one with a couch. Perhaps none of them have the couch or if some do they are as scarce as hen's teeth. This is why we haven't booked a 4J and love the portholes. 

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, glrounds said:

All of the PT cabins I have sailed in have had a couch, and have only experience the pounding sea all night on one cruise in this cabin cat. But one thing is for sure, you will know when you're are docking.😀

On 12/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I agree. Terrrible.  No one wants to save money 🙂

• Like 1