"Wifi feasibility test" on Quest, December 28

marinaro44

I apologize for the delay in responding. I had requested a statement a few days ago to clarify this test, and what with the holidays, it took a bit longer than usual.

We appreciate your feedback on this matter. The goal of this test is to help us improve the onboard experience for suite guests and loyalty members by providing internet combinability, which has been requested by many guests for some time. Please note, the test that is currently running onboard is intended to gauge connectivity speed and performance due to the expanded bandwidth required to support the additional minutes used. The new redemption values apply to all loyalty guests, regardless of their stateroom. This test will help us determine a more permanent approach in the near future.

We also understand that the combinability aspect may have sparked some confusion, we hope that the information below helps clarify how the internet feasibility test is currently running onboard. Thanks again for your input - your feedback is extremely important to us.

Suite/Veranda Plus Testing (by loyalty tier)

World, Owners and Spa Suites 

• Unlimited Complimentary Internet (all guests)

Club Continent

• Discoverer, Plus and Platinum – Unlimited Complimentary Internet
  • Explorer – 300 min or 85% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Adventurer – 270 min or 75% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Preview - 240 min or 50% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package

Veranda Plus

• Discoverer Platinum – 270 min or 75% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Discoverer Plus – 240 min or 75% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Discoverer – 210 min or 75% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Explorer – 180 min or 60% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Adventurer – 150 min or 45% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package
  • Preview - 120 min or 25% off Full Voyage Unlimited Internet Package

*The numbers above reflect the combined loyalty/suite minutes and loyalty/suite redemption values

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Based on the communication that states “the new redemption values apply to all loyalty guests, regardless of their stateroom” can you advise exactly what values apply to a guest at each loyalty level who stays in a verandah, oceanview and inside cabin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Thanks. Based on the communication that states “the new redemption values apply to all loyalty guests, regardless of their stateroom” can you advise exactly what values apply to a guest at each loyalty level who stays in a verandah, oceanview and inside cabin. 

My fear is it will be what was in the letter, which is a loss to us at the Explorer level since our cruises are in the 7-9 night range.  If that's the case, we probably won't buy a package any longer, which ironically will result in less money to Azamara.

5 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Good lord. Competitors are just including this. Wouldn’t this be easier just to throw this in as an inclusion? It seems to becoming the norm on luxury lines 

It’s a bit of an indictment on their onboard infrastructure if a simple IT experiment requires such a convoluted pricing plan, including failing to recognise the contribution many loyal guests have made to their survival over the years. 

Although on this scheme we would get free unlimited internet on our current bookings I am disappointed with the way Azamara are going about this and fear for the future. If I am reading this correctly then enhancements for suite passengers come at the expense of loyal customers who choose not to travel in suites.

If Azamara wants to think of itself as a luxury line, and current prices would indicate it does, then it needs to provide the services that passengers in that sector expect. 
We love the onboard experience but recently it’s become evident that staff onboard are struggling with budgetary constraints, with four Azamara cruises booked for 2020 this is a make or break year for us considering future plans.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

Snap!  Though on our current 4 for this year we are losers 

Shouldn’t be like this, but if you look at both Royal & Celebrity suites get a totally different experience although they do look after their most loyal passengers well.

One thing we liked about Azamara it didn’t matter what cabin grade you chose the experience was (almost) the same, this is changing but loyal customer are being left behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s a bit of an indictment on their onboard infrastructure if a simple IT experiment requires such a convoluted pricing plan, including failing to recognise the contribution many loyal guests have made to their survival over the years. 

I totally get why loyal guests such as yourself and others are upset by this convoluted pricing scheme. I just think, in general, there should be better ways to reward top tier guests than with a benefit that is usually included for everyone in most hotels and on many other cruise lines.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I totally get why loyal guests such as yourself and others are upset by this convoluted pricing scheme. I just think, in general, there should be better ways to reward top tier guests than with a benefit that is usually included for everyone in most hotels and on many other cruise lines.

I agree.  

36 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

More accurately: being driven away.

To me the whole LCV scheme has become a joke ever since the changes to the onboard booking discounts. Every thing is aimed at the first time cruisers and not those who have supported Azamara in the past, maybe it’s trying to fit into the framework of  Celebrity’s Captains Club. However Celebrity make a better fist of keeping the top tiers happy, to me the LCV discounts should not be linked to onboard bookings only, Azamara are the only cruise company we deal with that does this and it has to be detrimental to sales. 
Given a blank piece of paper no one would come up with the LCV scheme as a loyalty programme, currently it’s more of a sales prevention programme. We currently sit in Discoverer Plus at around 2000 points and there’s little in the scheme to make me feel our past custom is appreciated or to make us feel getting to Platinum is a goal worth achieving.

12 minutes ago, Riocca said:

To me the whole LCV scheme has become a joke ever since the changes to the onboard booking discounts. Every thing is aimed at the first time cruisers and not those who have supported Azamara in the past, maybe it’s trying to fit into the framework of  Celebrity’s Captains Club. However Celebrity make a better fist of keeping the top tiers happy, ....

Perhaps I've been incorrect in thinking how closely Azamara has been reflecting the philosophy of the RCI family of cruise lines in its approach to loyalty benefits. 

Soon we will be on Celebrity at the Elite Level and there is little at that level of loyalty benefits that, to us, would be major attractions. On that cruise we will transition to Elite Plus and, again, it's a "meh" reaction on our part. The real distinction on our part would be an upgrade to a suite.

Actually, if we can make it work as we did when we moved to Discoverer Level on Azamara, the free nights we gain on the latter cruise line will be potentially far more beneficial.

We also have some loyalty points with Viking and its system is much simpler but not particularly exciting either.

However, I will concede that we might be less sanguine about loyalty programmes if we cruised more often.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Riocca.  WhatI am going to say here, I have also fed back directly.  All this is from someone heading towards double platinum, it is always reacted to with a “blank look”

1.  The free nights are worthless- nothing for 2020 was coming out as the 3 free nights represented a savings

2.  The onboard benefits compare very poorly to Celebrity 

3.  The laundry perk being per room is a joke when two guests have both given good money to earn loyalty (regardless of level)

4.  The upgrade scheme does not work.  From personal experience I had it confirmed when a lower bid from a less loyal guest trumped my bid.  I am still waiting for the follow up reply on this from November

5.  In that connection, the response times are inferior to Celebrity and the responses are “canned”

6.  Totally get the issue about booking onboard.  It’s a pain having to shell out for certificates then  find when you got to use them it says no

7.  I’m getting fed up with the “oh we are looking to improve the programme”. Everything thats been done in the last few years has reduced the value.

Onboard by little gestures (and little is absolutely fine there) they show they care but anything run externally it is no I am sorry to say.

Edited by uktog

58 minutes ago, nordski said:

Perhaps I've been incorrect in thinking how closely Azamara has been reflecting the philosophy of the RCI family of cruise lines in its approach to loyalty benefits. 

Soon we will be on Celebrity at the Elite Level and there is little at that level of loyalty benefits that, to us, would be major attractions. On that cruise we will transition to Elite Plus and, again, it's a "meh" reaction on our part. The real distinction on our part would be an upgrade to a suite.

Actually, if we can make it work as we did when we moved to Discoverer Level on Azamara, the free nights we gain on the latter cruise line will be potentially far more beneficial.

We also have some loyalty points with Viking and its system is much simpler but not particularly exciting either.

However, I will concede that we might be less sanguine about loyalty programmes if we cruised more often.

Agree that Elite to Elite + is marginal but Zenith compared to Discover Platinum is poles apart. However one issue to me is the vast gap between Discoverer Plus / Elite + at 750 points and Discoverer Platinum / Zenith at 3000 points. All stems from the lower levels being far too easily achieved we achieved Elite / Discoverer in just 5 cruises under the old system bizarrely receiving the same number of points for a 4 day Celebrity cruise in Aqua class as 7 days in a suite on Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trend said:

Any decision to combine suite benefit with LVC benefit for internet is an improvement.

In this day and age it should be included for all, but I will take it.

Agree is something but should include all stateroom categories to some degree.    If is a capacity issue then system should be upgraded especially with tech usage today.  Would have been easier to have set % discount per LCV level and then have additional set % that could be combined by stateroom category. 

Think Azamara is missing the boat by not allowing LCV benefits to be combined with suite benefits.  We usually cruise in a veranda stateroom but on occasion will book a suite but are disappointed in losing LCV benefits.  Agree is too big a jump to next level after Discoverer Plus.

Flippin eck.  Could it be made any more confusing?  I need a matrix to work it out.  So Bonnie, Discoverer Platinum LCV members not staying in a suite get 75% off an unlimited package under this test?  Same as Discoverer and Discoverer Plus? This is more beneficial than was originally set out in the letter attachment you posted.  So I guess I’m happy, but I still don’t understand the lack of differentiation of %age off between the top levels.  As Riocca rightly says, the points required to move from Discoverer Plus to Platinum is huge, but all one would get is an extra 30 minutes of internet if you don’t buy the unlimited package.  Platinum should have free internet. Period.

I would say that whoever is working on this project doesn’t really understand the requirements to move between LCV loyalty tiers.

Phil

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Agree 100% with Riocca.  WhatI am going to say here, I have also fed back directly.  All this is from someone heading towards double platinum, it is always reacted to with a “blank look”

1.  The free nights are worthless- nothing for 2020 was coming out as the 3 free nights represented a savings

2.  The onboard benefits compare very poorly to Celebrity 

3.  The laundry perk being per room is a joke when two guests have both given good money to earn loyalty (regardless of level)

4.  The upgrade scheme does not work.  From personal experience I had it confirmed when a lower bid from a less loyal guest trumped my bid.  I am still waiting for the follow up reply on this from November

5.  In that connection, the response times are inferior to Celebrity and the responses are “canned”

6.  Totally get the issue about booking onboard.  It’s a pain having to shell out for certificates then  find when you got to use them it says no

7.  I’m getting fed up with the “oh we are looking to improve the programme”. Everything thats been done in the last few years has reduced the value.

Onboard by little gestures (and little is absolutely fine there) they show they care but anything run externally it is no I am sorry to say.

Disagree with point 1 - I booked  2020 cruise using 3 free nights in a suite for about 50% the original cost. The upgrade system appears to be working for many (See the database) and indeed has worked for me getting an upgrade to a suite for approx £340.

10 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Disagree with point 1 - I booked  2020 cruise using 3 free nights in a suite for about 50% the original cost. The upgrade system appears to be working for many (See the database) and indeed has worked for me getting an upgrade to a suite for approx £340.

The free nights might have worked for you and the upgrade too, but I have to tell you. I have spoken to many loyal Azamara guests, most recently just yesterday and the general consensus is the same. It's not what it used to be and quite a bit more expensive. 

Phil 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Glad it worked for you but for me onboard they tried 14 cruises EVERYONE I was worse off using the nights. I had recognition from a senior employee that due to a possible system glitch the upgrade did not recognise loyalty as they had expected it to for the cruises I was on, the loyalty level I was at and what I bid. 
It may be working for some but it’s not working for many others. Nor is the LCV overall 

Edited by uktog

30 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Of course, it has to work for someone.  Drawing names out of a hat would fill every upgrade slot, too.  But is it working for the LCV members with 40, 50, 60 cruises, the Platinums and double Platinums who have done so much to put Azamara where it is now?  The ones who take six, eight, ten Azamara cruises a year?

The former upgrade program was, by far, the number one benefit (compare with half a laundry bag a week?) for LCV members, and rewarded loyalty to the line.  Now it does nothing for them.  Big takeaway.

Edited by marinaro44

36 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Flippin eck.  Could it be made any more confusing?  I need a matrix to work it out.  So Bonnie, Discoverer Platinum LCV members not staying in a suite get 75% off an unlimited package under this test?  Same as Discoverer and Discoverer Plus? This is more beneficial than was originally set out in the letter attachment you posted.  So I guess I’m happy, but I still don’t understand the lack of differentiation of %age off between the top levels.  As Riocca rightly says, the points required to move from Discoverer Plus to Platinum is huge, but all one would get is an extra 30 minutes of internet if you don’t buy the unlimited package.  Platinum should have free internet. Period.

I would say that whoever is working on this project doesn’t really understand the requirements to move between LCV loyalty tiers.

Phil

I’m confused. Host Grandma assured us it was only in relation to combining for suites. Now the test applies for everyone (although I did ask Bonnie to

reconfirm). By my calculations I’m worse off on 3/4 cruises I’ve got booked so not impressed. It strikes me the upper tiers are getting squeezed - just as if I’ve gone to RC I don’t get all the top perks (I was ok with that just didn’t expect it on my previous cruise line of choice)