Exploring Bermuda on your own

superduper123

How easy is it to navigate and see Bermuda without a tour guide or ship excursion? We will have an overnight in Hamilton, and an overnight in St George's. We plan to do our research for activities and sights that interest us. We prefer to take public transportation to explore at our leisure, vs being locked into time constraints of a tour excursion. Thoughts?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, superduper123 said:

How easy is it to navigate and see Bermuda without a tour guide or ship excursion? We will have an overnight in Hamilton, and an overnight in St George's. We plan to do our research for activities and sights that interest us. We prefer to take public transportation to explore at our leisure, vs being locked into time constraints of a tour excursion. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bermuda is very easy to navigate on your own. There's no reason to use a ship's excursion. There's a public transit system of buses and ferries, as well as taxis. If you've never been to Bermuda before and are interested in getting an overview of the country you might want to consider a private taxi tour. Look for drivers who have "blue flag" status...they're certified tour guides. You can book a tour, minimum three hours, at an hourly fixed rate.

• Like 1

We were in Bermuda in October docked for two days and a night and found it very easy to navigate.  My husband played golf, my daughter and I went on a trail ride, we spent the evening including dinner in Hamilton, then the second day I went to St. George to walk around and play tourist while they went snorkeling.  Arranged it all ourselves and took buses and ferries.  It was very easy and much more economical than the cruse line excursions.  

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:57 AM, latebloomer56 said:

What days of the week will you be there? Sunday transportation is limited and a lot of things are closed. Otherwise Bermuda is easy to get around. If you have questions this board is great for the answers have had excellent advice from folks who post here.

Enjoy your trip.

We are docked in Hamilton Weds and Thursday, then on to St George's. Sunday will be a sea day.

3 hours ago, superduper123 said:

We are docked in Hamilton Weds and Thursday, then on to St George's. Sunday will be a sea day.

We've taken a few of these trips where the ship is in Hamilton/St George on different days. Best advice I have is to plan your daily activities around where your ship is-- when you're in Hamilton is a great time to go to Horseshoe Bay because its close. It's more expensive and takes more time to go to Horseshoe when you're in St Georges but there are nice beaches there.

I would just pick a few things you want to do and then look at a map and group them geographically based on the days your ship is in each spot. You'll end up saving a decent amount of taxi fare and time commuting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

We've taken a few of these trips where the ship is in Hamilton/St George on different days. Best advice I have is to plan your daily activities around where your ship is-- when you're in Hamilton is a great time to go to Horseshoe Bay because its close. It's more expensive and takes more time to go to Horseshoe when you're in St Georges but there are nice beaches there.

I would just pick a few things you want to do and then look at a map and group them geographically based on the days your ship is in each spot. You'll end up saving a decent amount of taxi fare and time commuting. 

Great advice, thank you!

i flew into (no cruise) and stayed in Bermuda for 5 nights a couple of years ago.

what i recommend is renting a scooter. they are fun to drive, fairly affordable and a great way to see the island. Bermuda is so small it is fun to get lost. just be careful they are left side of the road drivers! i will link to the scooter providers.  you are not allowed to rent a normal car, but if you are uncomfortable with a scooter, you can rent these small electric tandem "cars" called twizys.  https://www.oleandercycles.bm/

Bermuda by scooter (fast forward to 1:10)

Edited by MSUjohn
comma