Japan Cruise - Tokyo Question

sabrefan

Just booked a two week cruise for March 2020 in and out of Tokyo. Will be spending two days before the cruise in Tokyo. I am guessing that the Celebrity Solstice will embark and disembark from the new Shinkyaku Pier in Tokyo. Since we like walking around to discover sites of a new city, what area of Tokyo would be good to spend two nights to see the local sites but also be somewhat close to the cruise terminal with a reasonable taxi cab drive and fare?

• Like 1

The new Shinkyaku Pier appears to be near Odaiba (??).  While there are a few scattered attractions in the vicinity (Palette Town/Tokyo Megaweb, TeamLab Planets, Toyosu Market, etc), it's kind of off in it's own area of metro Tokyo.  Thing aren't as compact for walking as other areas too.    

I'd suggest considering home-basing in the Shibuya neighbourhood or around Tokyo station which are interesting areas but somewhat closer to the pier than other key areas (like Shinjuku or Asakusa).  They are also just short hops away from other interesting neighbourhoods of Tokyo.

Milhouse is correct. The new cruise terminal will be generally convenient, but is a little bit out of the way. There is one little-known subway line - Yurikamome - that goes to the new terminal. This line runs between Shimbashi (downtown) and the Odaiba attractions. You can easily get to the terminal either via subway, or over the Rainbow Bridge (taxi, bus, etc). Taxi from Shibuya area to the terminal is about 15 minutes / 2500 yen.

Why wouldn't all hotels in Tokyo be close enough for a taxi, at a reasonable fare,  to the new pier, considering it is in central Tokyo?  We are 16 months away from our cruise which begins in Tokyo, but I'm just going to pick a hotel close to where we will want to be at night.  

6 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Why wouldn't all hotels in Tokyo be close enough for a taxi, at a reasonable fare,  to the new pier, considering it is in central Tokyo?  We are 16 months away from our cruise which begins in Tokyo, but I'm just going to pick a hotel close to where we will want to be at night.  

First, the new cruise pier (Shinkyaku) is not in central Tokyo. It is located on an island in Tokyo Bay, not far from Haneda Airport; about halfway between central Tokyo and Yokohama.

The old cruise pier (Harumi) is located on an island in Tokyo Bay, near central Tokyo.

Tokyo is a very big place. Getting from one side to the other by subway or train (generally faster than a taxi) can take over one hour.

I live in central Tokyo. A taxi from my house to Shinkyaku Terminal (with Tokyo’s new lower taxi fares) will cost me about US$30-40, and take about 30 minutes. I think that’s reasonable; others might disagree. Subway from my house to Shinkyaku will cost me about US$2.25 and take about 20 minutes (with one transfer).

Note for Tokyo visitors:

Tokyo is no longer considered a city in Japan. It has become an administrative district, somewhat like Washington DC, or Mexico City DF. We do not have a Mayor - but a Governor.

Metro Tokyo is about 20% larger than the entire County of Los Angeles, but has a population (just under 42 million) a bit larger than the entire State of California.

Officially the largest city in Japan is Yokohama, at 3.75 million. 

Yokohama is now a suburb of Metro Tokyo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 7:30 PM, sabrefan said:

I agree unless the cruise leaves from Yokohama. Cab fares from Tokyo to Yokohama would certainly add further expense.

I think the days of Yokohama are over with the opening of the new cruise terminal.  Azamara confirmed to me that they already have the new port terminal reserved for their 2021 spring cruises.  

Interesting information since Royal Caribbean  Spectrum class ships will be docked there and both Azamara and Celebrity are both owned by Royal Caribbean. Would certainly be easier to get to from Tokyo . Got to be better location as well for land tours of Tokyo from the ship, especially when doing an overnight in Tokyo.

22 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I think the days of Yokohama are over with the opening of the new cruise terminal.  Azamara confirmed to me that they already have the new port terminal reserved for their 2021 spring cruises.  

For the big American-style ships, you are probably correct.

But for Asian cruises and cruisers, Osanbashi Terminal at Yokohama is still better.

Location in Yokohama is perfect; most of the hotels and all the interesting parts of the city are located within walking distance. This includes Chinatown - something that Tokyo does not have.

For Japanese and Chinese speakers, getting from Osanbashi Terminal to Tokyo is very fast and easy; 29 minutes on the Minatomirai Subway Line Express Train (450 yen).

Yokohama Station and Shin-Yokohama Station are close, for those taking JR trains and Shinkansen to other parts of Japan.

Shinkyaku Terminal is in an industrial area. There is nothing nearby that you can walk to. There is a single subway line that serves it. Nearest JR Stations are in Yokohama and Tokyo.

Taxis may be reluctant to go so far out of the way. It will take the same amount of time to get to Haneda Airport from Shinkyaku as it does from Osanbashi. Subway travel time from Shinkyaku to central Tokyo will be about 5 minutes shorter than from Osanbashi - but it will be easier, and about $2 cheaper. Taxi fare from Shinkyaku to central Tokyo will be about half the price from Osanbashi.

There will most likely be many shuttle buses from Shinkyaku to central Tokyo - for those wanting to see the city.

Shinkyaku will be about 30 minutes closer to Narita Airport.

Of course, for the “Business Class” cruiser, the very best Tokyo Cruise Terminal is Tokyo’s own Harumi Terminal. It is located right downtown, near the new fish market - and in the center of the new Olympic Village. City buses and the O-Edo Subway Line get you to central Tokyo in 5 or 10 minutes. Water taxis can take you anywhere on the Tokyo waterfront or up the Sumida River for Sumo matches or Tokyo Skytree. Tokyo Disneyland is 15 minutes away. You can even walk downtown in 20 minutes.  

Only one restriction; your ship must be able to fit under the Rainbow Bridge to get to Harumi Terminal. That leaves out all the mass market ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

For the big American-style ships, you are probably correct.

I'm not on a big American ship, just a 700 passenger Azamara ship.  

As an original embarkation or disembarkation port,  you want it to be accessible by taxi and it's also close to the airport.  We'll land 1.5 days in before our cruise and if there are decent hotels around, we'll use it as a base and meet a guide at the hotel.  Also, I would suspect the area is being built up as the 2020 Olympics are rapidly approaching,

A 700 passenger Azamara ship is too large to fit under the Rainbow Bridge to call at Harumi Terminal in downtown Tokyo. Harumi shares the island with the new Olympic Village. That’s where much of the 2020 Olympic development is taking place.

There are Japanese tourist hotels at Odaiba, on the same subway line as the new terminal - about 2km away, but in the other direction from downtown.

The rest of the Koto-ku area is very industrial. It is too far from downtown to be used for the Olympics, although they are talking about trying to clean up the pollution there to allow rowing events between the island and the mainland.

There is a new website for the new terminal - in English and Japanese:

tokyo-international-cruise-terminal.jp/en 

Lot’s of information about transit to and from the new terminal, ship schedules, photos, etc.

• Like 1

We rented an Airbnb in Asakusa which turned out to be cheaper than a branded hotel.  Lots of interesting things to walk to from that area.  But on the beginning of our tour we did stay at Intercontinental which was the closest branded hotel I could find from the cruise terminal.  Even so we were close to the ferry terminal and did a fun night cruise of the area.  Transport is really expensive in Japan so using public transport is best (navigate with Google maps and your smartphone), otherwise taxis. As for tours and such I found some good deals of aggregators such as Klook and Veltra.  

Edited by unrealHeather
added info on ferry terminal and night tour

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, BruceMuzz said:

A 700 passenger Azamara ship is too large to fit under the Rainbow Bridge to call at Harumi Terminal in downtown Tokyo. Harumi shares the island with the new Olympic Village. That’s where much of the 2020 Olympic development is taking place.

There are Japanese tourist hotels at Odaiba, on the same subway line as the new terminal - about 2km away, but in the other direction from downtown.

The rest of the Koto-ku area is very industrial. It is too far from downtown to be used for the Olympics, although they are talking about trying to clean up the pollution there to allow rowing events between the island and the mainland.

There is a new website for the new terminal - in English and Japanese:

tokyo-international-cruise-terminal.jp/en 

Lot’s of information about transit to and from the new terminal, ship schedules, photos, etc.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the accurate information.  For clarification, we are arriving in Tokyo in November to embark on a cruise (NCL Spirit) which is suppose to berth at the new terminal in Tokyo.  Can you please advise if the Marriott Tokyo or the new Mesm Japan would be a good choice for a 2 day stay for touring major sights in Tokyo prior to embarkation.  Thanks for all your info..

Marian, Hollywood FL USA.  

You can use google maps to locate hotels near an address.  Click on the red tag and pull up the map, then click search nearby and enter keyword hotel.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotel/@35.6153692,139.7646924,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!2m7!3m6!1shotel!2sAomi,+Koto+City,+Tokyo+135-0064,+Japan!3s0x601862063818661f:0xe6a1805fb45813d8!4m2!1d139.7805445!2d35.6159881

It looks like Hilton Tokyo Odaiba is the closest name brand hotel.  

There are several Marriott Hotels in Tokyo. You are probably looking at the one in Shinagawa.

That hotel is nice, but in a rather out of the way industrial area.

I have never heard of the Mesm Hotel, but it is located in a great area; right on the subway line that runs between the cruise terminal and downtown. Very convenient. Also has easy access to the Haneda Airport monorail, several other subway lines, and a JR Station.

Hilton ODaiba is a Japanese business and family hotel for the Odaiba Entertainment District. Unfortunately it is in the wrong direction from downtown Tokyo

22 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

There are several Marriott Hotels in Tokyo. You are probably looking at the one in Shinagawa.

That hotel is nice, but in a rather out of the way industrial area.

I have never heard of the Mesm Hotel, but it is located in a great area; right on the subway line that runs between the cruise terminal and downtown. Very convenient. Also has easy access to the Haneda Airport monorail, several other subway lines, and a JR Station.

Hilton ODaiba is a Japanese business and family hotel for the Odaiba Entertainment District. Unfortunately it is in the wrong direction from downtown Tokyo

Thanks for all your responses. The Marriott Tokyo is located at 4-7-36 Kitashinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo  140-0001 Japan. We looked at the Hilton Odaiba but it is booked.  The Mesm Hotel is part of the Marriott Bonvoy family don't have much more info yet as it is not open yet.  They are taking reservations. How far is the Marriott Tokyo from the new international pier? 

Thanks again .......   Marian

Marriott hotel in Kitashinagawa (Kita means North in Japanese) is actually very close to the cruise terminal - as the crow flies. But you need to get across the water between the mainland and the island where the cruise terminal is located. So you need to go the long way around to find a bridge.

5 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Marriott hotel in Kitashinagawa (Kita means North in Japanese) is actually very close to the cruise terminal - as the crow flies. But you need to get across the water between the mainland and the island where the cruise terminal is located. So you need to go the long way around to find a bridge.

Thanks Bruce for your info.  For touring is the Marriott on  Kitashinagawa a good location?  how much do you think a cab would cost from this location to cruise pier 30-40 UDS??   The other hotel I mentioned the MESM is not centrally located for restaurants etc (we'll be their for 3 days) but as you said it is right next to subway & airport monorail.  How difficult do you think it would be to use the monorail from airport with 4 pieces of luggage?  or is it better to take cab? 

It depends a bit on what sort of touring you are planning to do.

Kita Shinagawa is nearly halfway between Central Tokyo and Yokohama. Tokyo is certainly exciting, but so is the Yokohama area.

There are many subway lines, JR Trains, and Shinkansen passing through Shinagawa Station.

The MESM Hotel appears to be very close to the Tokyo Monorail station, which is next door to a JR Station, which is next door to Daimon Subway station on the O-Edo Line. O-Edo line is one of the best for getting you around Tokyo and connecting to other subway lines.

The Haneda Airport Monorail was designed to carry passengers and luggage back and forth from the airport. When I fly to my ship from Haneda, I often take 4 pieces of heavy luggage by myself on the Monorail.

The MESM hotel may not be well located for nearby restaurants, but neither is the Shinagawa Marriott. Both locations will allow you to get to neighborhood restaurants on foot or via subway in just a few minutes. MESM does have the advantage of being a bit closer to central Tokyo.

23 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Kita Shinagawa is nearly halfway between Central Tokyo and Yokohama. Tokyo is certainly exciting, but so is the Yokohama area.

There are many subway lines, JR Trains, and Shinkansen passing through Shinagawa Station.

The MESM Hotel appears to be very close to the Tokyo Monorail station, which is next door to a JR Station, which is next door to Daimon Subway station on the O-Edo Line. O-Edo line is one of the best for getting you around Tokyo and connecting to other subway lines.

The Haneda Airport Monorail was designed to carry passengers and luggage back and forth from the airport. When I fly to my ship from Haneda, I often take 4 pieces of heavy luggage by myself on the Monorail.

The MESM hotel may not be well located for nearby restaurants, but neither is the Shinagawa Marriott. Both locations will allow you to get to neighborhood restaurants on foot or via subway in just a few minutes. MESM does have the advantage of being a bit closer to central Tokyo.

We will need to get from Haneda to the Shinjuku area...with luggage.  Would it make sense to use the Monorail to the end of the line and then get a taxi, or simply pay the bigger bucks and take a taxi direct to our hotel from the Haneda?

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We will need to get from Haneda to the Shinjuku area...with luggage.  Would it make sense to use the Monorail to the end of the line and then get a taxi, or simply pay the bigger bucks and take a taxi direct to our hotel from the Haneda?

Hank

Hank, while I am not Bruce who is truly an expert, I have taken the Friendly Limousine Bus from Haneda to Shinjuku twice, not expensive at all, they place the luggage under the small bus and they head right to Shinjuku, depending on your hotel they stop right at your hotel or very close. It make take a few stops to get to where you hotel was but it is quite easy. https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/hnd/shinjuku  

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hank, while I am not Bruce who is truly an expert, I have taken the Friendly Limousine Bus from Haneda to Shinjuku twice, not expensive at all, they place the luggage under the small bus and they head right to Shinjuku, depending on your hotel they stop right at your hotel or very close. It make take a few stops to get to where you hotel was but it is quite easy. https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/hnd/shinjuku  

Thanks for the tip.  We are booked at the Citadines Central (good deal with points) which is not one of their stops.  Guess I will need to look at a map and see if the bus makes sense.

Hank

On 1/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, source said:

Thanks for all your responses. The Marriott Tokyo is located at 4-7-36 Kitashinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo  140-0001 Japan. We looked at the Hilton Odaiba but it is booked.  The Mesm Hotel is part of the Marriott Bonvoy family don't have much more info yet as it is not open yet.  They are taking reservations. How far is the Marriott Tokyo from the new international pier? 

Thanks again .......   Marian

If you are going in November the Hilton is not really sold out. I spent a long time on the phone with a Hilton agent checking availability. Their calendar is only open through August. She told me to keep checking back.

15 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

If you are going in November the Hilton is not really sold out. I spent a long time on the phone with a Hilton agent checking availability. Their calendar is only open through August. She told me to keep checking back.

Thanks for the tip.  You're it's been showing not available for some time.

Thanks again

On 1/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Thanks again Bruce.  Looks like we may be booking the MESM.  Can you recommend any local tour companies?