Large Luggage Carry On

rhinomike

1 minute ago, HerbertandB said:

From Carnival's FAQ - carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor)

Thanks, I have a 2 day cruise coming up and I wasn’t sure how big of a case I could carry on. 

• Haha 1

For our Valor cruise earlier this month, we decided to try carrying everything on for the first time instead of checking our large suitcases. I just have my suitcase and a backpack, so it's fairly easy to manage myself. All three of our suitcases are 28" or 29" and fit through the scanner just fine. We liked that method and will probably do it most of the time now. It was nice to not have to wait for our suitcases.

• Like 1

I use a Large 28" suitcase.  My husband is on his scooter, so I have both are carryon things, 4 bottles of wine and 2 12pks of soda, as we usually go 2 weeks.  So I need a huge suitcase.  It is a bit heavy to lift onto the table though, but so far I have managed, LOL

Fair warning though, you will be asked multiple times if you want to check you bag.  LOL  DH and I always make a bet on how many times they'll try to take my bag.

Edited by PekingeseLady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We like to take our luggage on with us too.  I don't like waiting and hoping my bag doesn't get lost.  I had at least 3 friends sail without their luggage before and that was not fun.  We have 28" and 29" tall large hardside cases and it always fits through the scanner.  Have fun on your cruise.

15 hours ago, jdemps said:

We like to take our luggage on with us too.  I don't like waiting and hoping my bag doesn't get lost.  I had at least 3 friends sail without their luggage before and that was not fun.  We have 28" and 29" tall large hardside cases and it always fits through the scanner.  Have fun on your cruise.

I'm glad I'm not your friend, because your friends have almost mathematically-impossible bad luck.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rhinomike said:

Everything fit through the scanner fine. I am waiting in the lounge now to board the Panorama. 

What size suitcases did you carry on? I have a soft sided 25 in suitcase. Normal suitcase. Would that fit?

Laura

MANY times people have been told that the luggage MUST be checked because it was too heavy. The larger bags are usually heavy and that is a big concern. Yes some might get away with it but I would not want to be the one that made a mess of the line and had people behind me upset with me before I was even on the ship. Better to just follow the rules. See Post #3. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 7:41 AM, ParrotRob said:

I'm glad I'm not your friend, because your friends have almost mathematically-impossible bad luck.

LOL, I wondered the same.  To me, it's not like flying, bags dont seem to get lost do they?  I have never known anyone with a lost bag on a cruise.  I hear everyone say to tip the porter so your bag doesn't get lost.  I tip the porter bc I tip for service, but not in fear they are going to throw it in the ocean or something.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cheermomof2girls said:

LOL, I wondered the same.  To me, it's not like flying, bags dont seem to get lost do they?  I have never known anyone with a lost bag on a cruise.  I hear everyone say to tip the porter so your bag doesn't get lost.  I tip the porter bc I tip for service, but not in fear they are going to throw it in the ocean or something.

It can happen. I read about one on here where the suitcase magically appeared on the last day of the cruise or something. It seems to be pretty rare though.

5 minutes ago, cheermomof2girls said:

I know, right?  What are the odds that one person has THREE FRIENDS that "lost" bags?

54 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It can happen. I read about one on here where the suitcase magically appeared on the last day of the cruise or something. It seems to be pretty rare though.

I'll never forget the story someone told on here about their suitcase that was missing for nearly the entire cruise. They did everything they could to track it down, to no avail. Long story short, come to find out, their suitcase had ended up in a cabin of 4 ladies cruising together. Somehow, someway, each of those ladies thought the mystery suitcase belonged to one of their roommates, so it got set aside and ignored (I think they said it was put in a wall locker). They didn't realize it until, I think, the second to the last night of the cruise. The owner finally got it back when the cruise was just about over.

With space so limited in a cabin, especially when FOUR people are staying in it, I don't know how they managed to set a strange suitcase aside, that went unopened the whole time they had it, without realizing something wasn't right within a day or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'll never forget the story someone told on here about their suitcase that was missing for nearly the entire cruise. They did everything they could to track it down, to no avail. Long story short, come to find out, their suitcase had ended up in a cabin of 4 ladies cruising together. Somehow, someway, each of those ladies thought the mystery suitcase belonged to one of their roommates, so it got set aside and ignored (I think they said it was put in a wall locker). They didn't realize it until, I think, the second to the last night of the cruise. The owner finally got it back when the cruise was just about over.

With space so limited in a cabin, especially when FOUR people are staying in it, I don't know how they managed to set a strange suitcase aside, that went unopened the whole time they had it, without realizing something wasn't right within a day or two.

Yeah I think that’s the one I’m thinking of.

2 hours ago, cheermomof2girls said:

well, it happens and maybe the bag is on the ship but it never got to their room.  Others have said bags are found several days after you sail away.  I just don't want to deal with it myself anymore with all the waiting up til like 8pm to get your bags unpacked and settled in.  Do what you want with your cruises, I'm carrying on my bag for sure.

2 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

I know, right?  What are the odds that one person has THREE FRIENDS that "lost" bags?

The odds may be slim but it happens.  I didn't say it was 3 on the same cruise, it is 3 total over different trips.  

I don't appreciate your tone in the comment above and would appreciate if you would just STFU if you don't have anything relevant to type. Thank you for your cooperation with butting out of my comments.....lmao

Edited by jdemps
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, jdemps said:

well, it happens and maybe the bag is on the ship but it never got to their room.  Others have said bags are found several days after you sail away.  I just don't want to deal with it myself anymore with all the waiting up til like 8pm to get your bags unpacked and settled in.  Do what you want with your cruises, I'm carrying on my bag for sure.

I was just stating that the likelihood of lost bags on a cruise is much lower than an airplane for sure.  I actually dont worry about either.  Once I'm in vacation mode, my give a darn goes so low that I figure I'll deal with whatever.  

But, absolutely, everyone has to do what makes them have the best vacation possible!  I have done both, carried on and checked.  For different reasons each time.