Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
luisc25

Things I should buy onboard or on cruise planners

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys, i was thinking of buying a couple things on cruise planners but not sure if its a better deal to buy onboard:

 

Cafe Select Coffee Card (its $35 Dollars on Cruise Planners)

Evian Water ($25 for 12 bottles of 1L)

Couple Spa ($239)

 

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

Hi Guys, i was thinking of buying a couple things on cruise planners but not sure if its a better deal to buy onboard:

 

Cafe Select Coffee Card (its $35 Dollars on Cruise Planners)

Evian Water ($25 for 12 bottles of 1L)

Couple Spa ($239)

 

Thanks for the help!

The coffee card and Evian Water are the same prices onboard as in cruise planner.  I know the spa prices can be higher unless you catch them running a special; which is not always guaranteed to work with your scheduled activities.  

Edited by Mr. Candyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know from experience Wifi and the drink packages are significantly higher on board than on cruise planner, cruise planner had Voom wifi 1 device for 14.50 daily if purchased in advance and when I got on symphony and it was almost double that amount on the ship. Buy everything in advance if possible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait to buy the coffee card onboard. You need to know how your particular chip handles the cards. Some ships charge one “credit” per drink: other charge one “credit” per shot of espresso. In case of the latter interpretation of the program the card isn’t worth purchasing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luisc25 said:

Cafe Select Coffee Card (its $35 Dollars on Cruise Planners)

Wait to get it on board after you ask how many punches they use for each drink  - the coffee card only makes sense if they use one punch per drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy cafe card in advance just to have it when I check it.

You can bring your own case of water alot cheaper than buying from rcl.  Just treat it like luggage and put luggage tag taped ontop of sealed case of water

Easy enough to pick up at stores near port.  Or if you are casino prime you can get free bottles of water in casino and store in your mini fridge

Spa I always wait till onboard as you can get 20% off on port days or use other specials they run.

Have fun!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would wait on the coffee card and water. Same price on the ship.  Unless you are Diamond or above, drink and internet packages ahead of the cruise usually offer the best value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm - I thought the trick was to get the coffee card online because the terms of the card would hold up as ‘one punch per drink’ regardless of size at guest services?   Is that not true anymore? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I always buy cafe card in advance just to have it when I check it.

You can bring your own case of water alot cheaper than buying from rcl.  Just treat it like luggage and put luggage tag taped ontop of sealed case of water

Easy enough to pick up at stores near port.  Or if you are casino prime you can get free bottles of water in casino and store in your mini fridge

Spa I always wait till onboard as you can get 20% off on port days or use other specials they run.

Have fun!!

 

 

 

Pretty sure you can’t check water as luggage anymore...but you can carry on a 12 pack of standard bottles - not 1L bottles. 

 

One last thing to consider is what currency you are paying in... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

Hmmm - I thought the trick was to get the coffee card online because the terms of the card would hold up as ‘one punch per drink’ regardless of size at guest services?   Is that not true anymore? 

Don’t think that was ever a “trick”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cel_cruise said:

Is that not true anymore? 

The trick is to fight with the barista's boss over the terms of the card - if you are willing to do that, it doesn't matter how/where you buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the response, now i'm debating if the drink package is worth it.

it's not hard to break even even if we don't drink much 

 

image.png.99ba203b312c4080cba0f9c2c50f225d.png

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

Thank you all for the response, now i'm debating if the drink package is worth it.

it's not hard to break even even if we don't drink much 

 

image.png.99ba203b312c4080cba0f9c2c50f225d.png

 

 

 

 

 

Anthem charges more than that for a beer; I would guess that Allure does too, based on the higher price for the coffee card.  (it has been $31 on all ships for a very long time; if Allure is charging more.........watch out for ALL the prices! 😲 )  Depending on what kind of cocktails you want to drink, you may find many at $13, $14 or more.  Decent wine is more, too.

 

Gratuity is 18%, not 20.  

 

I am not trying to support or dissuade you - Just giving you some more information.

 

☺️

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Anthem charges more than that for a beer; I would guess that Allure does too, based on the higher price for the coffee card.  (it has been $31 on all ships for a very long time; if Allure is charging more.........watch out for ALL the prices! 😲 )  Depending on what kind of cocktails you want to drink, you may find many at $13, $14 or more.  Decent wine is more, too.

 

Gratuity is 18%, not 20.  

 

I am not trying to support or dissuade you - Just giving you some more information.

 

☺️

 

 

Thank you,  and i didn't add fresh squeeze juice in the morning easily drink 1 everyday any idea of how much is each fresh juice?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luisc25 said:

Thank you,  and i didn't add fresh squeeze juice in the morning easily drink 1 everyday any idea of how much is each fresh juice?

 

Between $8.50 and $8.75 on Anthem. I can't remember the exact amount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Between $8.50 and $8.75 on Anthem. I can't remember the exact amount. 

for a Fresh Orange Juice? OMG you are right, found this video online and it shows $7.25 on Allure.

 

 

image.png.ab463efc05c3b19079adc7c6f71f031c.png

 

I think I'm buying the Beverage Package; My wife and I like green juice in the morning and fresh juice.

Edited by luisc25
Add Math

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, luisc25 said:

for a Fresh Orange Juice? OMG you are right, found this video online and it shows $7.25 on Allure.

   I ordered it at  breakfast in the MDR. It was on the menu. I know it was over $8. I had the refreshment package which I paid $18 plus grats a day. One OJ, a sparkling water and a frozen coffee and I was just about even for the day before noon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, luisc25 said:

Thank you,  and i didn't add fresh squeeze juice in the morning easily drink 1 everyday any idea of how much is each fresh juice?

 

 

Our experience has been around $4-$5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember, you can also carry on 2 bottles of wine.  Note, I’m not trying to push you in one direction either- until we turn diamond, we will be buying the drink package 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Remember, you can also carry on 2 bottles of wine.  Note, I’m not trying to push you in one direction either- until we turn diamond, we will be buying the drink package 🙂

Even after turning Diamond we buy the drink package. The diamond benefit is just too limited on availability and selection to be a viable alternative for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay another question? 
I bought the UDP for 189/person; $379.66 total? Do you guys think it’s worth it or I should buy the 3 dining for $107/person?

 

I want to book an specialty dining because it’s our anniversary. 
 

My cruise have 1 day cruising the rest are port. 

 

04578694-BC09-4CDF-AAC5-245C43E4D538.thumb.jpeg.9b4dd1544d5fb75ab5a1e4f55b293860.jpeg
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Even after turning Diamond we buy the drink package. The diamond benefit is just too limited on availability and selection to be a viable alternative for us. 

We’re going to try going sans drink package our first diamond cruise... but if it doesn’t work for us, we’ll go back to getting one 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luisc25 said:

Okay another question? 
I bought the UDP for 189/person; $379.66 total? Do you guys think it’s worth it or I should buy the 3 dining for $107/person?

 

I want to book an specialty dining because it’s our anniversary. 
 

My cruise have 1 day cruising the rest are port. 

Personally, I’d asses the restaurants onboard, and take a look at their menus to see if you truly want to eat in them every night.  We did UDP on Symphony, and since we love hooked and playmakers and wonderland, we would do it again on that ship.  However, we wouldn’t do it on a ship like Radiance, since we don’t love those restaurants as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might do that to the restaurants, but I wouldn’t.
 

With all the port days, aren’t you likely to enjoy drinks in port. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...