2 toddlers in one room?

soozles

We are feeling somewhat crazy, but we are thinking about taking a cruise with our 2 babies in October. They will be 22 months and brand new 1 year old at that time, thinking of going on NCL breakaway. We did a cruise when my oldest was 8 months old, so we know what cruising with 1 baby is like. But will 2 pack and plays even fit in 1 room? We are looking into booking a mini suite. When we went with 1 baby, we were on celebrity in a balcony room, and there is no way that 2 pack and plays would have fit. I don’t know if my oldest will be able to sleep in a regular bed by then, he’s so wild when he sleeps and basically does laps around his crib now. 

and any tips of cruising with 2 little ones would be also appreciated. Thanks 

Breakaway minisuites are the same size as the balconies, with bigger bathrooms, some with tubs. I don’t think 2 pack and plays would fit. There is no childcare for under 3’s, no splash areas for kids in diapers (no cruiselines allow swim diapers in pools, a handful of ships have splash areas for diapered kids).

52 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Perhaps you could turn the sofa to face the wall, and put one of the kids on it....that way, they can't "fall" out...and then put the other in a P&P.

On the Breakaway, the sofa bed is basically a twin bed with a pillow against the wall which gets removed at bedtime.

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Breakaway minisuites are the same size as the balconies, with bigger bathrooms, some with tubs. I don’t think 2 pack and plays would fit. There is no childcare for under 3’s, no splash areas for kids in diapers (no cruiselines allow swim diapers in pools, a handful of ships have splash areas for diapered kids).

Hmm... maybe won’t work then... I’m not worried about no childcare and I know about not being allowed in the pools, but my oldest had such a fabulous time regardless. And the itinerary is more port intensive, with the sea days being when it would still probably be cold. 

A haven suite is unfortunately out of our budget, and I don’t see anything between the mini suite and haven. Maybe we should look into 2 connecting rooms instead. 

15 minutes ago, soozles said:

Hmm... maybe won’t work then... I’m not worried about no childcare and I know about not being allowed in the pools, but my oldest had such a fabulous time regardless. And the itinerary is more port intensive, with the sea days being when it would still probably be cold. 

A haven suite is unfortunately out of our budget, and I don’t see anything between the mini suite and haven. Maybe we should look into 2 connecting rooms instead. 

Actually that would probably work great, especially when they are sleeping. Our family of 7 always does connecting and leave the interior doors open.

I have personal experience as I have twins.  They do fit, but it is so hard to walk around the room when they are set up.  NCL Spirit is what we sailed as our kids were 18 months old (in an ocean view).  They used a non-collapsible crib so you couldn't take it down like I did on Celebrity during the day (22 months old and still in crib at the time). If price is a problem, it can be done, but not the most ideal situation.  The biggest problem I had was getting them to bring me the second one as they said it wouldn't fit.  I threw the biggest momma bear fit, but it took 3 hr for them to bring it to me.  After 4 months they couldn't share the crib as they would roll and wake the other. 

The mini suites are a little bigger so it should fit better, but quit frankly you would be better having the older kid sleeping on the couch and then the baby in the one cot to save the money.  Around the same age I had a similar problem in an old hotel in Catalina Island where only one crib was available at 21 months.  My daughter did fine on the couch. Try a trial run at your house on the couch and if she does well then just use the couch.

Edited by bearette

In case anyone is wondering, we are going on a different cruise. Now we are heading on carnival Sunrise, since every time we go on an NCL cruise we never really liked it... but when we priced it out, getting 2 connecting rooms was cheaper than getting one larger room even on carnival. So we are booking 2 connecting Oceanview rooms, and then we’ll put the babies in one and we’ll sleep in the other, keeping the door between us open of course. We’ll get more space, more storage for all the stuff traveling with 2 little ones requires, twice the amount of on board credit, and a little bit of privacy. We are forgoing the balcony but we’ll survive. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...