Gratuity is not a gratuity when it is mandatory

garymfreedman

Yes, but the cost to sail is also 2-5x your "regular" cruiselines' base fees. So, it includes what amounts to a soda package, gratuities and higher end eateries in that higher rate. Other cruiselines could easily "eliminate" the gratuities...but we would also see higher rates because of it.

• Like 4

Maybe so, but myself, along with apparently A LOT of other people, would rather pay a flat rate, and not have any extra charges for things like soda, wifi, tipping, restaurants.  And no kids, adults only is icing on the cake... Virgin is not for everyone.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, bahacca said:

Yes, but the cost to sail is also 2-5x your "regular" cruiselines' base fees. So, it includes what amounts to a soda package, gratuities and higher end eateries in that higher rate. Other cruiselines could easily "eliminate" the gratuities...but we would also see higher rates because of it.

Except it's not outside of the first few months

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, bahacca said:

I'm not sure where people are getting these "Two to five times" the price unless you want to book in the first two months. After that, the prices fall to industry norms. I answered this same question in the "Why are these cruises so expensive" thread.

When you add in WiFi, no specialty dining costs, no soft drink costs, no gratuities the price is really similar to all the other mainstream lines.  

We figure $2500 - $3200 for 7 nights on any mainstream line for a balcony.  That's without a drink package, no WiFi, no specialty restaurants, no soft drinks. Just the cabin.

Mayan Sol 5 nights on the Scarlet Lady Aug 2 - 7 is $2300 for the Sea Terrace (non obstructed view). WiFi, Soft Drinks, Gratuities, all Meals included. 

Celebrity Cruises 6 nights on Celebrity Equinox in August is $2200 for a Verandah. With one perk. Say we select the drink package. Then there's WiFi, any Specialty Meals, soft drinks and gratuity. 

We paid $166 for WiFi on our last Celebrity Equinox cruise in Sept and almost $300 for specialty dining.

The price is basically the same as the other cruise lines. The only difference is we'll pay for our drinks ala carte.  Still going to work out about the same.

• Like 4

I've never minded the "service charge" that 's automatically added, and I usually provided an additional cash "gratuity" to select service individuals on a cruise.  But I hope more cruise lines adopt VV's inclusive model, simply to make it fair for everyone.  Making the service charge inclusive means no one can skip out on paying their fair share for the cruise.  There's no visiting the Guest Services Desk on the cruise to have the service charges removed.  I've read discussions on these boards where individuals find it their right to do so, saving hundreds of dollars off the cruise price.  And I've seen a cruise pax, walk up next to me and ask for the form to fill out:  no complaints, no discussion, just fill out the form for a discount.

I've read the fine print about those service charges, and they amount to a labor subsidy, like the "fuel surcharge" tacked on by airlines.

I'm glad that VV including "tips" as they say in their promo material. 

The real question will be whether cocktail servers/bartenders will be permitted to take the additional gratuity, $1 cash, that I usually hand staff.

2 hours ago, rbt001 said:

The real question will be whether cocktail servers/bartenders will be permitted to take the additional gratuity, $1 cash, that I usually hand staff.

Hopefully not because that defeats the purpose

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as they are actually giving the workers the money, I applaud them for not allowing cheap people to screw the hard workers out of their hard earned money.  I can't stand cheap and entitled people. 

Edited by skridge
  • Like 1

I have to wonder will some people still leave extra tips here and there, or across the board? I don't normally tip a whole lot extra on a cruise but when staying at an AI resort I do tip bartenders and housekeeping a few dollars a day (even though in the very fine print it says it's included, but no dollar amount is given).  I am curious to see if extra tipping takes hold or if everyone is happy with the system in place.  Personally I would not tip extra on a Virgin cruise.  Because it's very in your face that it's part of the cruise fare.

• Like 1

I am a very generous tipper because I believe that you should give back to others. So randomly and under certain circumstances on the cruise I will tip extra fives or tens. Now it will be interesting to see that it might be possible Virgin will not allow them to Accept  tips at all

I would say that some people will tip regardless.  Most luxury lines include gratuities, but many people tip on top of that as well.  I always donate to the crew fund, but did tip my butler once when he took it upon himself to clean and polish my tall boots (I like to go horse riding in the country while in port).

20 hours ago, skridge said:

As long as they are actually giving the workers the money, I applaud them for not allowing cheap people to screw the hard workers out of their hard earned money.  I can't stand cheap and entitled people. 

I certainly agree with you:  there's a whole camp that believes it's perfectly acceptable ask for the service charge to be removed.  

But note that the way most line administer the service charge, it's more like a labor cost subsidy for the cruise line.  More directly, the impact over time is felt by passengers as the daily service charge amount and the cruise fares were increased to cover costs.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, hotsauce126 said:

Hopefully not because that defeats the purpose

I always like to find a favorite bartender on a ship and I am more than willing to tip him a few extra bucks for knowing my name and making my drinks to my liking.  I hope I can do this on Scarlet Lady in June!

Some people like a bundled fare that includes everything that Virgin offers, while others would prefer an unbundled fare on a different cruise line where they pay a lower fare and then they add only those things that they’ll use. It’s similar to the way that some airlines conduct business these days. You can pay a higher fare on a full service airline and have your seat assignment, checked luggage, drinks and even food (on longer routes) included, or you can go with a low cost airline and add on only the items that you care for.

Virgin’s pricing structure will be great for people who prefer to have all the things offered already included in the price. 

About gratuities/service charge/tips, whatever you want to call it, I just wish that all cruise lines would agree to make it part of the fare and end the ever going controversy. Stateroom and dining services are not “add ons”. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, creativegenius said:

I'm not sure where people are getting these "Two to five times" the price unless you want to book in the first two months.

I’m not finding “5 times the price”, but I’m finding closer to “2 times the price”. Looking at 2021, a 4 night cruise on Virgin is around $2,300 for 2 while on Royal, Carnival, and NCL it’s more like $1100 for 2. Like you said, to the $1100 you need to add items that are already included in the Virgin fare to have a better comparison, but even with that Virgin is more expensive.

With all of that said, I think that Virgin is very competitively priced. Not only do you get more things included in the fare, but you are sailing on a brand new ship, on a brand new cruise line, and for an experience that sounds like it will surpass what other mainstream cruise lines offer. Also, the “adults only” concept is well worth the extra charge for a lot of people. 

On 2/6/2020 at 5:25 AM, rbt001 said:

I certainly agree with you:  there's a whole camp that believes it's perfectly acceptable ask for the service charge to be removed.  

But note that the way most line administer the service charge, it's more like a labor cost subsidy for the cruise line.  More directly, the impact over time is felt by passengers as the daily service charge amount and the cruise fares were increased to cover costs.

As long as the cruise workers are not depending on a bunch of miserable cheap people who are standing in line all day long to remove tips as soon as they are added to the account I don't care.  Call it a service charge subsidy whatever you want to call it.  If it keeps cheap people from being cheap I am for it.