Cruise Critic Community
Hapytocruise

Nuremberg hotel

We will be in Nuremberg one night prior to starting Viking Romantic Danube cruise.  Ideally we would like to book into a nice 4 to 5 star hotel either walkable  or short taxi to port.  Any recommendations or advise appreciated.

1 hour ago, Hapytocruise said:

We will be in Nuremberg one night prior to starting Viking Romantic Danube cruise.  Ideally we would like to book into a nice 4 to 5 star hotel either walkable  or short taxi to port.  Any recommendations or advise appreciated.

I would recommend reading the article below and then checking hotels on Booking.com where you can filter your choices by rating (3-4-5 star) and distance to the river cruise docks.

https://europeforvisitors.com/germany/nuremberg/nuremberg-cruise-port.htm

The Sheraton Carlton is excellent and is located about 3 miles from the docks. 

Happy to cruise,

There are no hotels within walking distance of the docking area .  Cruise ships are located in a canal in an industrial area that is not easy to get to via local transit, especially if you are carrying suitcases.

My suggestion would be to find a hotel within or near the old town and take a cab to the dock.  A few years ago we took the train from the airport to the main train station and then followed the walkway under the tracks and road into the old city and  stayed at hotel Victoria just inside the old city wall. Super staff.  They will call a cab for you when you are ready to go to the ship.

RB

39 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

There are no hotels within walking distance of the docking area

Correct - nothing is walkable. You can book a hotel that is a short ride via taxi. The following hotels are all within a 3 - 3.4 mile radius of the cruise docks and are very nice hotels: Sheraton Carlton, Le Meridien, Drei Raben. 

I've attached a map that shows the distance from the Sheraton to the dock - it is 14 - 16 minutes via taxi.

781054723_NurembergDocks.thumb.jpg.f71d6fd974905c358efada3c4cd08c52.jpg

We stayed at the Hotel Agneshof for 2 nights after we got off our cruise from Budapest (we had already been to Prague, so opted for extra time in Nuremberg).

https://www.sorat-hotels.com/en/hotel/agneshof-nuernberg.html

It was in the old town, very close to the old town square, and easily walkable to restaurants, the castle etc. 

They would be able to call a taxi for you to get to the boat.  

Fran

5 hours ago, Ritabob said:

My suggestion would be to find a hotel within or near the old town and take a cab to the dock.  A few years ago we took the train from the airport to the main train station and then followed the walkway under the tracks and road into the old city and  stayed at hotel Victoria just inside the old city wall.

Agree! We took the train from the airport to Nuremberg as well (except we came from Frankfurt airport) and Victoria Hotel was so close, so nice, and just a great place to spend a few days.

We also have been to the Victoria Hotel, right inside city walls and walkable to everything, except the ship.  They had a great breakfast.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, Hapytocruise said:

Ideally we would like to book into a nice 4 to 5 star hotel either walkable  or short taxi to port.  Any recommendations or advise appreciated.

Yes, the Victoria is a very nice hotel and the location (by the train station) is ideal for sightseeing or onward travel via train. I did not include it in my list of hotels as you inquired about a 4 - 5 star hotel - the Victoria is a 3 star property (would not make a difference to me but it might to you).