Need GoPro help with editing

mitsugirly

I have always done all of my video using the Olympus Tough (I have a TG6, TG4, and 2 older ones). This is my first experience with a GoPro. We only bought it because of an awesome discount on Black Friday and thought we'd give it a shot. (It's a Hero 7)

Anyhow, my husband took some vids in the ocean and they are all a greenish color. I guess I have always thought that the GoPro is a great "out of camera" option for underwater photography, but I guess not?

Anyhow, I uploaded GoPro's "Quik" and don't see ANYTHING in there to adjust the white balance. Actually I really don't see much of anything in there that you can do to the video other than capture a picture from the videos if you want one (which is good I guess but not what I'm looking for).

I did a little reading and watched some youtube videos and they all talked about having the GoPro Studio, which was discontinued in 2017 I believe? However, you can still download it from reputable sources and so I tried it.

I put the clips into it but having some issues with step 1 in the view & trim and of course you can't move on to step 2 "edit" until this is completed.

I import the new file. It shows up on the left sidebar. HOWEVER, it does not show up in the big middle work screen area. The screen is black. I can see the length of the film (ex. 00:00 to 00:26). I can name the file and where to "save to". I just can't see the video or cut and trim.

step%201-L.jpg

Then I hit the "add clip to conversion list", which it does and shows up.

add%20clip-L.jpg

The next step is to convert the clip. I get an error each time, no matter what clip. It will say processing for about 2 seconds, then an error.

convert-L.jpg

I have tried various things, such as changing the compatibility in my properties to Windows 8 (and even Windows 7) and it doesn't make any difference. I have Windows 10.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this issue? Are there any other programs that I could correct the white balance and make these videos he took not green?

I did read that you can edit video's in PS (I have CS5) but when I try to open any of the video's in there, I get an error message saying "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". All of the video's say they are .MP4 format.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for all you tech savvy people in advance. I'm not computer/tech savvy so need it put to me as a GoPro Editing for Dummies book. 😅

Edited by mitsugirly
pics not showing up

It seems like GoPro realized that their customers were not video editors and wanted something simple, such as Quick.  I have been using the Corel Video software and it seems to work.   Taking the videos seems to be the easy part.  It's that editing thing that takes all of the work...

Try downloading VSDC and using that (it's free).

I'm a senior member of r/GoPro on Reddit and we see these types of questions frequently. GoPro software has notoriously been....hot garbage and I can't recommend it.

If you have any other follow-on questions, don't hesitate to hit me up.

Edited by Sean_B

Just as an FYI I "discovered" the green shift with cameras a few years back on a helmet dive excursion with my sister. I had my GoPro with me. I also bought the video that the excursion company offered.  They used a red filter on their camera to correct the color while filming.

I used the color correction plug in of Vegas Movie Studio to match the footage from the two cameras . The program that Sean mentioned will also do the trick.

Here's my finished film:

https://youtu.be/o0PPHAOaiBE

Aloha,

John

For some reason, I didn't get notifications that anyone had responded to this thread until jcl posted tonight.

I ended up getting Filmora. I found someone mentioned it on the boards and tried it out. I liked the way it worked (but I need a lot of practice with video since I'm normally into just pictures). I worked all day putting together a video with music only to find out that the watermark across it ruined the video. My neighbor makes videos all the time for his family vacations and he said he also uses filmora so I broke down and bought it. It was cheap enough ($34 for the year).

I still super suck at getting the green out of the movies. Some works out and others just do not.

Anyone have any experience with Filmora?

jcl410: Yea, I do know I need a red filter but didn't have one during this cruise because we had just bought it. I will definitely be getting one before the next cruise. I checked out the video and honestly the coloring on that video does not look natural to me at all. Was it a preset button that color corrects it that you hit and it does all the work? Or can you play around the with coloring? Loved the video and looks like you guys had a lot of fun just don't like the corrected color. We did a SeaTrek in Aruba and it was a blast!

Thanks for he info Sean. Do you know anything about using Filmora? I may have some additional questions in the future. Is VSDC easy to use for those that really don't know what they are doing when it comes to editing video. LOL

On 1/2/2020 at 8:28 PM, mitsugirly said:

Thanks for he info Sean. Do you know anything about using Filmora? I may have some additional questions in the future. Is VSDC easy to use for those that really don't know what they are doing when it comes to editing video. LOL

I have never used Filmora but most editing programs are the same so I'm sure I'd be able to help somehow. I do a lot of editing at work using DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro .I'm very against anyone paying for video editing software when top of the market programs like Resolve are available.

VSDC is very easy to use and worth a download just to give it a whirl. There's no watermark. Colouring video properly takes quite awhile to learn how to do correctly, and it will probably require you to watch quite a few video tutorials on Youtube.

Let me know if I can help.

I did the color correction by hand. I didn't touch the company's footage; just tried to match mine to theirs. Looking back, I can see I was more successful with some shots more than others. (Maybe that's why I haven't shot any more underwater footage. 🙂 )

Aloha,

John 

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to go ahead and buy the filter before my next cruise to help with the color when diving.

My camera came with a housing but I see most of the filters include a housing with it. Anyone know if the housing is different than what the camera would have came with? I'm trying to figure out how you put the filters on? I don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, mitsugirly said:

I have decided to go ahead and buy the filter before my next cruise to help with the color when diving.

My camera came with a housing but I see most of the filters include a housing with it. Anyone know if the housing is different than what the camera would have came with? I'm trying to figure out how you put the filters on? I don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Definitely the way to go. They make filters specifically for the GoPro. For the official Gopro ones you have to buy the underwater supercase but there are third party ones that attach to the camera as it. With the official gopro one you actually have to remove the lense cover to put it in the supersuit underwater case and the filters fit over the case lens portion.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, mitsugirly said:

Filters are the way to go Kim. Polar Pro makes very good ones

Just now, mitsugirly said:

I ended up buying some last night so hopefully this will help. I wish I could find some for my Olympus Tough. 😕

Great! I have not been able to find anything for my Olympus Tough