Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
suec12

pre-paid beverage card

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to purchase a beverage card that has a pre-paid amount on it that can be used like a debit card (so you don't have to sign a chit with each purchase). I thought I had read something like this - whe I searched the webiste it pulled up IMO numerous random topics. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look under Cruise Activities - Beverages in the Already Booked area. There are 5 cards - $50, $100 and  $250 ones for any beverage, a $50 one for non-alcoholic beverages and a $50 soda only card which can be pre-purchased for $25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless we have a lot of shipboard credit, we do purchase the $250 Beverage Card.  It will be in your cabin with your name on it.

 

If there is anything left on the card at the end of the cruise, it will be refunded back to your credit card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mizcruz said:

Is the beverage card for just one person or can it be shared?  Thanks.

 

 

They can be shared.  

You can order drinks for your entire table if you want with it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mizcruz said:

Is the beverage card for just one person or can it be shared?  Thanks.

 

 

My pre-purchased beverage CARDs had my name on them but I was able to purchase drinks for others with them.  Perhaps if bought on board (no name printed) it could be used by others? DH never tried to use one on his own. By the way, the soda card cannot be purchased onboard.

 

With a beverage PACKAGE one is limited to one beverage at a time - it is not to be shared.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

 

With a beverage PACKAGE one is limited to one beverage at a time - it is not to be shared.

With the 2 beverage packages (SBP and elite), you cannot order 2 drinks at the same time, but you can order a double (or triple) of any mixed drink and it will count as 2 (or 3) of your daily 15.   This rule does NOT apply to bottles of water, soda in cans, or specialty coffees.   You can get as many bottle of water or cups of hot chocolate as you want, no charge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you able to get canned beverages and bottled water with the sofa card? And specialty coffees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

With the 2 beverage packages (SBP and elite), you cannot order 2 drinks at the same time, but you can order a double (or triple) of any mixed drink and it will count as 2 (or 3) of your daily 15.   This rule does NOT apply to bottles of water, soda in cans, or specialty coffees.   You can get as many bottle of water or cups of hot chocolate as you want, no charge.  

 

I thought this thread was about the regular beverage cards

 

Let’s not mix apples with oranges and confuse the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kazu said:

 

I thought this thread was about the regular beverage cards

 

Let’s not mix apples with oranges and confuse the OP.

I was just commenting on Cruise Suzy's comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Are you able to get canned beverages and bottled water with the sofa card? And specialty coffees?

My understanding is that the soda card is only for fountain soda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

My understanding is that the soda card is only for fountain soda.

Thanks!  I will bring my own. Fountain sofa just isn’t the same! 
and I’ll save enough room for my reusable straw.  I certainly am very happy that HAL is being proactive in reducing plastic! 

Edited by trixiee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:
2 hours ago, trixiee said:

Are you able to get canned beverages and bottled water with the sofa card? And specialty coffees?

My understanding is that the soda card is only for fountain soda.

 

In February at the Koningsdam's Lido Market, cans were what I was given along with a glass of ice. If I went to a bar, it was a fountain drink. I drank Sprite Zero.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, suec12 said:

Is it possible to purchase a beverage card that has a pre-paid amount on it that can be used like a debit card (so you don't have to sign a chit with each purchase).

I can't honestly remember the last time we had to sign for our drinks - they just return your room key card with a cash register receipt.

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"they return your card with a receipt" - so is an automatic gratuity added in? what percent? thanks. 

 

If I purchase before boarding, will the amount be on the same card I use for my room or will I need to be carrying both cards when I am out and about. thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, suec12 said:

"they return your card with a receipt" - so is an automatic gratuity added in? what percent? thanks. 

 

If I purchase before boarding, will the amount be on the same card I use for my room or will I need to be carrying both cards when I am out and about. thanks again!

 

Using the beverage card is just like using your room card - the price of the beverage AND the automatic 15% gratuity are charged against it.

 

Each beverage card you purchase, whether before boarding or on board, is a separate card so you will need to have both with you.

 

In February on the Koningsdam, receipts were not automatically given. Most servers just told me the balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering...if you buy beer or a bottle of alcohol from HAL before your cruise, are gratuities added to the price?  Looks like gratuities are added on if you use a prepaid beverage card.  Thanks!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Just wondering...if you buy beer or a bottle of alcohol from HAL before your cruise, are gratuities added to the price?  Looks like gratuities are added on if you use a prepaid beverage card.  Thanks!  

 

For beer, wine, wine packages, alcohol in general that is order pre-cruise on line, the price includes the gratuity.

 

on board, the gratuity is added on to the purchase.

 

If you compare pricing on the HAL site to pricing on board, the pricing is higher on the HAL site since gratuities are included while on board they are added on.

IIRC, the descriptions of the items on the HAL site state includes gratuities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While on this topic (I don't think this warrants a new thread...);

 

We are travelling with two 5* Mariners who asked our PCC (we share the same one) if they could transfer their included beverage cards to us, as they tend to bring their own wine and beer on board. Our PCC said they cannot but she offered instead to simply issue us our own as a perk.

 

Is there any way I can check to see if this offer has been made real? Our PCC is away now for a while, otherwise I would just ask her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, suec12 said:

If I purchase before boarding, will the amount be on the same card I use for my room or will I need to be carrying both cards when I am out and about. thanks again!

 

It is a separate card.  Just get a hole punched in it and carry both together on your lanyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...