No more straws on board?

VTcruisenut

I'm seeing some posts that state that you can't get straws for drinks, even the frozen drinks, on board any longer. I know on our Oosterdam cruise last March, it was difficult to get a straw at any bar. Are people packing their own re-usable straws?  I have my metal ones from Pampered Chef, but it would have to go in my checked bag.  Maybe one of the reusable straws that collapses into a small case would make it thru security?  Also wondering about bottled water availability as I drink alot of water daily!

34 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m fresh off the Veendam.  Paper straws had limited availability, even for frozen drinks.  At one point my drink order was contingent on a straw, they had one.

They also magically found one when they brought me a drink without one, I asked for one and they said they had none, at which point I said I do not want that drink anymore, take it back. 😉

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 3

We sailed on a Carnival ship a few weeks ago and  my Margarita had a lime flavored sugar straw. Other drinks I had normally wouldn't come with a straw, so don't know if it's universal. Will be on the Koningsdam in a few days so we'll see if it also has flavored straws for my Margaritas. 

On Koningsdam, disposable straws, stirrers and cup lids were not initially not available. The lack of lids were particularly a pia when bringing morning coffee from Dutch Cafe back to the room for my wife.

A few days later, miraculously there were lids, made of recycled paper rather than the traditional plastic.

Most water sold on Board was either in cans or glass bottles.

4 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

I'm seeing some posts that state that you can't get straws for drinks, even the frozen drinks, on board any longer. I know on our Oosterdam cruise last March, it was difficult to get a straw at any bar. Are people packing their own re-usable straws?  I have my metal ones from Pampered Chef, but it would have to go in my checked bag.  Maybe one of the reusable straws that collapses into a small case would make it thru security?  Also wondering about bottled water availability as I drink alot of water daily!

Go to walmart and buy a box of plastic straws.  They aren't illegal despite the desires of some.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

OMG - just tell them as @taxmantoo did that if there’s no straw, they can take the drink back.

I honestly can’t drink a frozen drink without a straw and I have enough to pack.  I’m not putting straws in my bag.

There’s lots of water on the ship or you can carry on your own.

• Like 1

Paper (mostly on request, though my pina coladas always came standard with one) on Zuiderdam... they also have "bulk" sugar things on the table instead of packets now, and my sister's olive garnish for her martini had a piece of uncooked spaghetti instead of a plastic toothpick. I actually like the changes. The paper straws are better quality than others I have used too- didn't go limp immediately. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

Are people packing their own re-usable straws?  I have my metal ones from Pampered Chef, but it would have to go in my checked bag.  Maybe one of the reusable straws that collapses into a small case would make it thru security?  

Flew on Norwegian Air and British Air in October, with two collapsing steel straws, in their metal cases. In my "personal item" daypack. (They also come with a telescoping tiny bottle brush! that rides inside.) They are really neat, but be sure to get one with the silicone mouthpiece, to shield your lips from ice cold or real warm. I gave them to my immediate family members as a "stocking stuffer".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Flew on Norwegian Air and British Air in October, with two collapsing steel straws, in their metal cases. In my "personal item" daypack. (They also come with a telescoping tiny bottle brush! that rides inside.) They are really neat, but be sure to get one with the silicone mouthpiece, to shield your lips from ice cold or real warm. I gave them to my immediate family members as a "stocking stuffer".

This is a great idea.  Where did you buy them?

8 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Reusable Telescopic Straws 4 PCS Rainbow 9.25" Metal Collapsible Keychain Straw for Water Coffee Smoothie Stainless Steel Drinking Straw with Cleaning Brush & Case - Great New Year Gifts for Family https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SR1GH9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gKvcEb215FRA6

this is one - they have lots on amazon.  Also if you have a kitchen supply store nearby they are often there.   My town has made Plastic straws illegal so we have to use paper or carry these! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I got all of mine off eBay BUT I did have one come without its silicone tip, and some came in larger tubes (these are coming from China, but so are some on AMZ). Then I ordered a 3-pack that looked like the AMZ item SeaChef linked (but a different name on the tubes)... It came with the straws in the tubes and the silicone tips outside the tubes. If you put the tips on, they no longer fit in the tubes! No response from seller so I salvaged the one tip for the previous one that came without, and shrugged it off as Buyer Beware. 

If you bought the above link on AMZ, Amazon would have your back, anyway. But (unless I really needed FIVE) I think I would go with this 4pk, at least they show the silicone tips ON the straws and not lined up off them.

https://www.amazon.com/removable-Stainless-Telescopic-Collapsible-Carabiner/dp/B07Y4XQW8W/

• Like 2

IF they are really interested in cutting down on waste they should start with the paper bumph that is delivered to the cabins every day or the junk marketing bumph that comes to our door, or  having cruisers print out reservation data.   Cutting out straws pales in comparison to that.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

I've asked and gotten paper, but I'll see what happens at the end of the week.

TSA and EASA allow metal straws in your hand luggage.

Saving this Planet starts by the little things we can do to eliminate plastic garbage.

it is honestly shocking to read some poster’s aggression towards a plastic ban. If you don’t want Clean Oceans and Nature, then do not take a holiday on them either and stay home. 

Luckily, soon, all plastic straws and plastic bags will be banned in the EU, as we DO take our Responsibility towards Clean Seas serious. 

Note that as all HAL vessels are EU territory, it will soon be illegal actually to use plastic straws.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

18 months ago I bought a lot of 25 heavy duty plastic straws with a cleaner from Amazon.  I picked up a large, bright pink vinyl pencil case at the Dollar Store and I keep 2 of the straws in there at all times.  I use them everywhere I go.  I sit the case on the table to remind me to take my straws.  So far, I've only forgotten one straw when I threw away my cup from a movie theater😥

At this rate, I'll have to leave the 22 remaining straws in my will😁

Thanks for the heads up.  I have no problem taking several with me, but I may need to find a new case that will fit in hubby's pocket.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

Frozen drinks??  Go radical..   request a spoon!!

Some of those glasses that contain frozen drinks (Pina Colada's) aren't overly spoon friendly 😉

HAL included the new bio degradable ...or paper straws, 2 weeks ago on Nieuw Amsterdam... but they weren't in any other drinks we ordered