Cruise Critic Community
TeanneTX

Suggestions on Anchorage

4 hours ago, 2-4-T said:

Thank you for this! It will help me get into the planning of our time (I hate planning and doing the research but it's a necessity). Totally appreciate the leads.

If anyone has tips on getting a good deal on hotel and/or car rental, I'd love to hear too. The USD exchange is killing me. Thanx!

This may or may not apply to you for a rental car. My company has a negotiated contract rate with one of the major rental companies.  I've used it many times in Alaska, during peak & off-peak time periods.  The contract rate I get is roughly 1/3-1/2 the regular [non-contract] rate plus includes the extra insurances and multiple drivers. In the end it's a huge savings.  You should check to see if you might qualify for something similar.  Good luck!

On 12/31/2019 at 1:15 PM, Gardyloo said:

If this is possible re the cost, I'd do this in a heartbeat.  Right next to the Anchorage airport is Lake Hood, the largest seaplane base in the world.  You could do a flightseeing trip around Anchorage, or over the Chugach Mountains toward Prince William Sound, and it would be a spectacular introduction to Alaska.  Look at Rust's - https://www.flyrusts.com/ - for ideas.

We had tried to work their Prince William Sound flight tour into our schedule but it did not work out. You might seriously consider that - see Alaska if at all possible. We stayed at the Lakefront Anchorage on Lake Hood and while eating breakfast watched at least 25 sea planes come and go.

If you like a relaxing dinner with a view, check out Simon & Seaforts. The view is out over Knik Arm and west to the bottom end of the Alaska Range and the 11,000' Mt. Spurr Volcano. Also Mt. Redoubt Volcano which last erupted in March 2009 is visible.

DW took this view with her cell phone as the Queen Elizabeth cruised out.

tK3Xmla.jpg

On 1/22/2020 at 6:45 PM, 2-4-T said:

Some input please... I disembark in Wittier and we'll take a bus (I guess) to Anchorage. I have yet to book my flight home and wanted to add 3-4 days at in Anchorage & area. Is that too much time? What would a relatively active 40's couple do with that time? Neither of us have been to Alaska before - no knowledge about the area.  I'm at the beginning of my planning process and will be in Anchorage in late May. And yes - we are absolutely open to renting a car.

We drove to Wasilla for dinner and the drive east towards Glenn Allen is beautiful with many stops along the way i.e. Mantanuska Glacier as Mapleleaves mentioned in post 23. Take a look online for the The-Ultimate-Alaska-Road-Map-Book

https://www.alaska.org/assets/content/related_items_pdfs/The-Ultimate-Alaska-Road-Map-Book.pdf

Edited by masterdrago

This sounds great! Thanks for the info. I'm on it... checking some things out today actually. There are wonderful train trips (and who doesn't love a train??) I'm including the link in case others would also want it: https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Can you do me a favor?  We are booked for the 5B tour in July. I found a trip report from someone a few years ago who posted the exact intinerary with bag pull times, etc. this enabled me to book private excursions during the land tour. 

Since you’re going in May can you please post your itinerary when you get it?  This way I can make sure my excursion times will still work. 

Thanks snd enjoy!

btw - thanks to all.  The trip reports helped in planning our cruise!