I wish RCL would stop harassing us during dinner!

sandycruzr

54 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

All that but you keep going back....

Nope not going back!  And I wouldn’t have after the first week but I had 4 cruises all paid for and I certainly wasn’t going to cancel over this issue BUT I did cancel 2 Future cruises booked for April and May.  I’m sure Royal will straighten this out and take the pressure off their employees to sell and constantly bother guests.  When they do, I’ll be back.  We all have choices

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Never been approached in the dining room either.  Only WJ and Schooner Bar

You've been lucky. Last time on Oasis they got us on both nights we went to the MDR.  They come up acting like they are the headwaiter, ask how we are enjoying dinner, and then launch into the specialty sales pitch.

• Like 1

Not only did we get the specialty dining every night in the dining room (truthfully we only went 3 times on a 9 night cruise) last month, we had our waiter trying to sell us a cupcake decorating class and galley tour nightly. He was an excellent waiter, but that killed it for us. 

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I didn't experience that on the Serenade this summer, but what made me miserable were the musical interludes in the MDR - at very high volume and with repeated demands to demonstrate how much you like the ship, etc. When I spoke with an assistant dining manager about them, he said he couldn't do anything about the volume, so high that it was painful to be in the room, but since I had MyTime dining I could avoid them by coming to dinner 15 minutes later.

Can you clarify what time that would be?  I agree with you on this and would like to avoid.  Do you mean 15 mins after assigned dining time?

Out of curiousity, what are their quotas?

On my recent Symphony sailing, I was approached often in the Promenade on embarkation day. Likewise, on the first night, there were people approaching tables in the MDR. However, that quickly stopped as the week progressed.

When we were in the Harmony couple weeks ago, we were approached at least once a day in different venues, windjammer, park cafe, lunch & dinner @ the MDR for the specialty dinning.  I feel bad for those who have the 'sales target' to meet, but in the mean time, it's really annoying for the guests.  And other than the specialty dinning, we were also asked to take the Kitchen tour by the waiters and head waiters as well, we just rejected since we were not interested in it.

21 minutes ago, mickeyhereicome said:

Can you clarify what time that would be?  I agree with you on this and would like to avoid.  Do you mean 15 mins after assigned dining time?

No, I had MyTime dining, as I already said. I was coming to the MDR around 7:30 p.m. and he told me that, while it didn't take place every evening, when it did it was always over by 7:45.

5 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Throw dinner rolls at them, that keeps them away. 

3 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

That's why you don't see savory bites any more.  They could put an eye out. 

My hearty laugh for the day!  Thanks, you two!  😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

I’ve been on 4 RCL cruises in the past few months, Empress, Freedom and Majesty and on all 4 cruises we have bombarded with sales pitches for specialty dining offers while eating dinner!   On Freedom back to back in December, we were asked 4 time’s during one meal!   We politely said “no thanks” but after the 3rd sales pitch within 30 minutes I complained!  The Head waiter told us this sales pressure comes from corporate.  5 minutes after complaining another person shoved a specialty menu in my face and said “you really need to go to Chops”. This is just plain rude behavior. Can’t we just enjoy a nice dinner in the dining room without being harassed?  I also feel badly for the waiters who now have a sales goal every week to sell upgraded steak and lobster to dining room guests.  (I know this for a fact because I took pictures of their goals that are posted in the galley during a tour). That on top of the other specialty restaurant sales pitches have made me decide I probably won’t sail on Royal for awhile.  I know Celebrity and NCL also sell their specialty restaurants but in my experience it is done outside of the dining room NOT constantly during dinner. 
Lots of people where complaining about the constant interruptions during dinner!   

We have experienced this in windjammer at lunchtime but never at dinner in MTD.

We usually use our D+ BOGO first 2 nights in chops and Giovanni's.

We have got great deals when they come around selling at lunchtime.

My suggestion for you would be to say you want 50% off plus a couple of free drinks which usually puts them off bothering you and if they do agree you are getting a fantastic deal in a lovely speciality restaurant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

I’ve been on 4 RCL cruises in the past few months, Empress, Freedom and Majesty and on all 4 cruises we have bombarded with sales pitches for specialty dining offers while eating dinner!   On Freedom back to back in December, we were asked 4 time’s during one meal!   We politely said “no thanks” but after the 3rd sales pitch within 30 minutes I complained!  The Head waiter told us this sales pressure comes from corporate.  5 minutes after complaining another person shoved a specialty menu in my face and said “you really need to go to Chops”. This is just plain rude behavior. Can’t we just enjoy a nice dinner in the dining room without being harassed?  I also feel badly for the waiters who now have a sales goal every week to sell upgraded steak and lobster to dining room guests.  (I know this for a fact because I took pictures of their goals that are posted in the galley during a tour). That on top of the other specialty restaurant sales pitches have made me decide I probably won’t sail on Royal for awhile.  I know Celebrity and NCL also sell their specialty restaurants but in my experience it is done outside of the dining room NOT constantly during dinner. 
Lots of people where complaining about the constant interruptions during dinner!   

You could ask for their names and say they will not be getting 10 on the post cruise review.

Edited by grapau27

We have been approached all over the ship, in the solarium, in the dining room, even while we are at a specialty restaurant we are asked to book again.

We say a very simple “no thank you” and the staff politely walk away. I’ve never considered in any type of harassment. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I just get tired of EVERYONE asking us to fill out the survey.

With all perfect scores, right?

I've sailed Royal and NCL 2x each - both times on Royal (2014 and 2018, Explorer and Anthem) I recall the pressure for perfect scores, neither time was this the case on NCL (both in 2019).  Only 3-4x (of 13 nights total) on NCL do I recall there being a photographer coming to the table and no pressure for specialty dining visits, though most people end up with a few nights of that included in their fare anyway as was noted before.

• Like 1

My husband and I went on Allure back in November and had similar experiences as well! We went to the main dining room for breakfast / lunch and for 2 days in a row, one of the head waiters kept bothering us with sales pitches and suggesting that we go on the Gallery Tour. He gave us a flyer, which we took to be polite, only to have him come back 5 minutes later to ask us if we decided to take the tour. We told him that we would go on the tour because we actually ended up being interested and so he wouldn't bother us again.

However, I have to say the highly promoted tour ended up being a waste of money. The chef was talking nonstop the entire time and did not really show us anything behind the scenes in the kitchen. When it was time for them to feed us after the tour, we were waiting forever because no one came to take our orders. A very funny lady at our table had to stand up with a napkin twirling in the air to get the waiter's attention. The waiter came and asked us what we needed and the lady said, "FOOD! Are you guys going to feed us or do we need to go to Windjammer?" 😂. That night when we went to dinner, our waiter asked if we were interested in taking the tour, then not long after our head waiter had the same sales pitch! We told him that we already went to the gallery tour and he looked a little mad then walked away 😆. We had dinner at Windjammer the last night and it was much nicer and more peaceful.

Edited by Moon Orchid

Had never been asked in 36 cruises, 12 of those on RCCL.  Last cruise in November on Harmony there were 10 of us dining in Coastal Kitchen.  At lunch and at dinner we were repeatedly asked to buy Specialty packages.  I told them I had purchased 3 night packages for each of the 10 of us thus there was no need.  Short time later and a number of times they then tried to sell us the new, I think, promotion "A Taste of Royal" or something like that.  Also was approached at Solarium Bistro during lunch.  So now I know how the rest of you feel.

Dinner at Chops was the worst I have experienced at a Chops as I normally eat there each cruise.  I will do anything to avoid MDR and Windjammer.

2 hours ago, ryguy2008 said:

Out of curiousity, what are their quotas?

On my recent Symphony sailing, I was approached often in the Promenade on embarkation day. Likewise, on the first night, there were people approaching tables in the MDR. However, that quickly stopped as the week progressed.

As per the posting in the galley wall for employees on Freedom of the Seas:

weekly target for waiters and assistants:

20 fillet mignon or lobster

20 galley brunch bookings

30 Evian or pellegrinos 

from the Restaurant Operations Manager

seriously don’t these folks work hard enough without now having sales quotas?

• Thanks 1

Whenever we get approached for photos - we always so no thank you - never been pressured.

We usually buy a 3 night dining package on most our cruises so if anyone approaches me about going to chops, etc. I just simply tell them we bought dining package and they simply walk away.      I think this has only happened once or twice anyway.   Try that next time anyone asks you then they will leave you alone.

One of my most annoying MDR experiences was on the Anthem as either head waiter or restaurant manager kept coming over the microphone talking (ridiculous conversations - telling really bad jokes - and repeatedly telling us to give 5 stars over and over.)   The other people at our table said if he says that one more time I am giving him a bad review - sure enough he said it again.