Oosterdam's 2019-2020 New Year's cruise; a photo log and a recap after the fact

Copper10-8

10 minutes ago, Bemidji Ty said:

OP or others,

We are on our 2nd HAL cruise on this ship on Jan 11.  First one was on NA earlier this year.  We tried different venues and were unable to find a good cup of coffee.  Nothing fancy or flavored - just a good cup of coffee.  Ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

I get to know the baristas at the Explorations Cafe and work with them to figure out the perfect cup of coffee for me.  This is best done when it isn't busy 😉  I like STRONG dark roast coffee, so I start with a double shot espresso and have them add water until it is right.  OR if it is then not strong enough, the next time I know to try less hot water.  It may take a couple of tries, but once I have the formula it's easy to repeat it.

• Like 1

11:30 AM 

11 minutes ago, Bemidji Ty said:

OP or others,

We are on our 2nd HAL cruise on this ship on Jan 11.  First one was on NA earlier this year.  We tried different venues and were unable to find a good cup of coffee.  Nothing fancy or flavored - just a good cup of coffee.  Ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

Tend to agree with you on that one (Lido, main dining room, etc,); not sure what cat stateroom you'll be in but the coffee from the coffeemaker in the Neptune suites is OK 

11:30 AM brought the Mariners reception (followed by the luncheon) this time taking place inside the Main Stage (like the old times 1f609.png😉 ) Capt. Rens van E. (great sense of humor/should have his own stand-up comedy routine 1f609.png😉 ) and Hotel Director Henk Hoekstra handed out bronze (100 days) and silver (300 days) medallions plus Five-Star Mariners were acknowledged with a pic. There was one HAL President's Club couple (both over 1,000 days - see last pic) present who have been onboard and sailing Oosterdam consecutively since she left Alaska on 30 September last year/going home after one more week)

Image may contain: flower

Image may contain: flower

No photo description available.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, suit and night

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing, suit, night and indoor

Edited by Copper10-8

Hey, now this is goed! Inside the Gallery Bar (formerly the Northern Lights nightclub), they have two "sjoelbakken" (see last pic), best translated as Dutch shuffleboard. In Holland, the game of "sjoelen" first appeared around 1900 and it is still a very popular game there and in Belgium and Germany.

A lot of Dutch homes have a sjoelbak, at least they did when I was growing up there. Maria and I tried to play a game of "sjoelen" this afternoon but we couldn't get the kids to stop playing so, next dam ship 1f609.png 

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: table and indoor

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Lincoln Center Stage, Oosterdam's Explorations Lounge with the always impressive Dutch historical maritime mural, plus a directional device for those who have lost their way temporarily 😉 

No photo description available.

Image may contain: living room and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting, living room, table and indoor

The silhouette is of a Pinnacle ship, not the Oosterdam.

34 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

As long as it's pointed in the right direction, all is good

I was on NA in Dec 2017 - just after it came out of drydock. I believe she was the first to have the carpets with directions. I was very appreciative of the extra help. It saves a lot of backtracking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hey, now this is goed! Inside the Gallery Bar (formerly the Northern Lights nightclub), they have two "sjoelbakken" (see last pic), best translated as Dutch shuffleboard. In Holland, the game of "sjoelen" first appeared around 1900 and it is still a very popular game there and in Belgium and Germany.

A lot of Dutch homes have a sjoelbak, at least they did when I was growing up there. Maria and I tried to play a game of "sjoelen" this afternoon but we couldn't get the kids to stop playing so, next dam ship 1f609.png 

Image may contain: table and indoor

Veendam had one of those sjoelbakken. Not sure if she still does.

• Thanks 1

Sir Copper,

I have really enjoyed your posts, pictures and dedication to the Cruise Critic board. It's refreshing to come to your topic and know there's not a fight breaking out from fellow posters. Looking forward to joining "Oostie" in a few short months.

Blessings and thanks, Joy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Are you meant  to dunk them?

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I don't dunk mine, but I do let it rest on top of my tea or cocoa cup for 30-60 seconds. The caramel softens just a bit more, making it even more creamy and delicious.

I do as Cruise Suzy does -- sit it on top of the steaming cup of coffee to soften a bit.  (That's how my friend who taught me about them taught me 🙂 )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Are you meant  to dunk them?

There are no rules against dunking them 😉 We eat them as is out of the packet. If interested, check you local Starbucks and/or World Market (by Cost Plus) and some Barnes & Noble bookstores (at the checkout counter displays)

• Like 1

Thank you for posting these photos of the Neptune Lounge. I will be a Neptune Suite for the 1st time on Oosterdam in April. Would you please explain how the honor bar works and advise if there is any discount for 5* Mariners for the Neptune items.  Is my assumption that the other eateries and liquids pictured are complementary correct? Thank you so much, you have made my next voyage seem so mych more real. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

There are no rules against dunking them 😉 We eat them as is out of the packet. If interested, check you local Starbucks and/or World Market (by Cost Plus) and some Barnes & Noble bookstores (at the checkout counter displays)

Thanks for the great review and information.  We will be on the O in April in a Neptune for 2 weeks.

Say "Hello" to Carrie for me next time you talk to her.  Tell her Dave in Oklahoma City - she will know who you mean!

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, Happily@Sea said:

I was on NA in Dec 2017 - just after it came out of drydock. I believe she was the first to have the carpets with directions. I was very appreciative of the extra help. It saves a lot of backtracking.

Just laughing with my Eagle Scout husband over this. I have NO sense of direction on land or sea and never have. Great when driving but fail on foot every time. The carpet directions have been a game changer for me particularly after a cocktail or two 🙂