Newbie questions - packing

It's been 5+ years since we cruised, and our first in 20 years with Royal Caribbean. We have 2 interior connected staterooms on Adventure of the Seas, leaving this Saturday (yay!!). Trying to pack and hoping yall can help me with some questions!

1. I know that the rooms have closets...do they have hangers? I'm going to want to hang a lot of our clothes and wondering if that's something I need to pack or if I can ask for some onboard if there aren't enough. Also any tricks for hanging wet towels/swimsuits?

2. I see that you can check your luggage or carry it onboard yourself. Is there any reason not to check it? Is the tip for delivering it to your room included in the general $14.50/day/person gratuities? 

3. RC says you can bring up to 12 cans/bottles non-alcoholic drinks per stateroom as "carry-on items". Does this mean you have to actually carry it on as opposed to putting it in your suitcase? 

TIA! 😄🚢🎉

36 minutes ago, momof4blessings said:

... . Does this mean you have to actually carry it on as opposed to putting it in your suitcase? 

TIA! 😄🚢🎉

You can put the beverages in luggage that you are carrying on.

• Thanks 1

We bring a bunjee cord and some chip clips and leave our bathing suits hanging on the balcony, dry by morning. If you need hangers, they'll give you more on request (cabin attendant).
Checked luggage - Let THEM bring it on. I'd never see us dragging that on board. Just bring a carry on with your bathing suits/flipflops for the pool just in case you want to swim or dip before cabin ready time.
I think I would rather pay the extra $$ and just buy my own beverages rather than lug drinks in cans or bottles. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Checked luggage - Let THEM bring it on. I'd never see us dragging that on board. Just bring a carry on with your bathing suits/flipflops for the pool just in case you want to swim or dip before cabin ready time.
I think I would rather pay the extra $$ and just buy my own beverages rather than lug drinks in cans or bottles. 

That's what I was thinking, not sure why they even offer that option (to bring all your bags onboard yourself) but the fact that they do made me question if I was missing something!

Good idea on the swimsuits.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, momof4blessings said:

Good idea on the swimsuits.

I attach heavy duty magnetic hooks to the ceiling (metal) and suspend a hanger with my swimsuit attached (or any clothing item).  There is circulation from the air conditioning in the room which seems to very quickly dry the clothing.  

58 minutes ago, momof4blessings said:

That's what I was thinking, not sure why they even offer that option (to bring all your bags onboard yourself) but the fact that they do made me question if I was missing something!

I think you are confusing the baggage option.  There is a self-departure option at the end of the cruise where you carry your bags off the ship vs. leaving them outside your stateroom the night before.  Self-departure groups are usually the first groups off the ship.

Rinse off in the shower by the pool, let suit mostly dry ON you..then, hand it over a hanger from the AIR VENT in the cabin to finish drying.  You don't really need to wash them if you've rinsed off.

Turn wet pool towels in for dry ones.  Bath towels, leave on the floor and they will be replaced.  (Although, I can't bear stuff on the floor, so I rehang towels, and they get replaced anyway!)

There are some really neurotic people who don't trust their luggage being delivered so those weirdos carry all their luggage on. You can get towel clips and hang your suit to dry on the balcony chairs, salt air isn't a big deal on a swimsuit, you're going in a chlorinated pool or salt water anyway. Just make sure you secure them somehow, or you may not have it anymore! Tip for delivery to your room is included in daily gratuities, but delivery of your luggage by porters to the ship is not! $1-2 per bag is enough. 

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Rinse off in the shower by the pool, let suit mostly dry ON you..then, hand it over a hanger from the AIR VENT in the cabin to finish drying.  You don't really need to wash them if you've rinsed off.

Turn wet pool towels in for dry ones.  Bath towels, leave on the floor and they will be replaced.  (Although, I can't bear stuff on the floor, so I rehang towels, and they get replaced anyway!)

Some of us actually want a CLEAN bathing suit, not an "almost clean" bathing suit.  So we wash them in the sink.  or shower.  😉 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MainerRN92 said:

There are some really neurotic people who don't trust their luggage being delivered so those weirdos carry all their luggage on. You can get towel clips and hang your suit to dry on the balcony chairs, salt air isn't a big deal on a swimsuit, you're going in a chlorinated pool or salt water anyway. Just make sure you secure them somehow, or you may not have it anymore! Tip for delivery to your room is included in daily gratuities, but delivery of your luggage by porters to the ship is not! $1-2 per bag is enough. 

Actually, some people travel light, and cruise with only smaller (20-21") suitcases and/or duffel bags/and or backpacks.  It's not neurotic.  

Salt air means salt deposits on the clothes.  It's not a matter of them getting "dirty" later.  It's  wanting a clean bathing suit now.

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Actually, some people travel light, and cruise with only smaller (20-21") suitcases and/or duffel bags/and or backpacks.  It's not neurotic.  

Salt air means salt deposits on the clothes.  It's not a matter of them getting "dirty" later.  It's  wanting a clean bathing suit now.

I so was not talking about those people when I made that comment. I was talking about the people on this board who openly admit they don't trust their luggage to be delivered, and the people I see on embarkation day with my own eyes rolling multiple 28in suitcases around til the rooms open 😂. If you took that personally, I apologize, not my intent. Again, it appears you took my salt air comment personally, and I don't know what to say other than I was giving my own opinion. Once I've worn my suit once, even rinsing it out before hanging it to dry, I consider it dirty anyway. I typically bring like 6 suits on a cruise because that is one of my neuroses 😉 but it works great for my husband, he's happy as clam in his dirty suits! 

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Never leave things overnight on the balcony.  First, they get damp out there and second, they can blow off!!!!

Third-someone can throw a cigarette over and it will land on the shirt. Happened to us. LUCKILY  it just burned a hole in the shirt but if could have started a FIRE!  

Last time we’ve left clothes out on the balcony. 

m

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MainerRN92 said:

Nothing neurotic or weird about packing light and bringing only carry on. Many will plan their wardrobe for the week or two weeks. In many cases depending on where I am cruising, will only use 22 " suitcases & one gets checked then have the majority of my clothes in the other one. 

6 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Nothing neurotic or weird about packing light and bringing only carry on. Many will plan their wardrobe for the week or two weeks. In many cases depending on where I am cruising, will only use 22 " suitcases & one gets checked then have the majority of my clothes in the other one. 

I also bring only a carry on and backpack. See my above comment for who I was referring to. It was not you or I.

25 minutes ago, MainerRN92 said:

I so was not talking about those people when I made that comment. I was talking about the people on this board who openly admit they don't trust their luggage to be delivered, and the people I see on embarkation day with my own eyes rolling multiple 28in suitcases around til the rooms open 😂. If you took that personally, I apologize, not my intent. Again, it appears you took my salt air comment personally, and I don't know what to say other than I was giving my own opinion. Once I've worn my suit once, even rinsing it out before hanging it to dry, I consider it dirty anyway. I typically bring like 6 suits on a cruise because that is one of my neuroses 😉 but it works great for my husband, he's happy as clam in his dirty suits! 

I did not take your post personally at all.   I was just giving another side of the story. ☺️

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Third-someone can throw a cigarette over and it will land on the shirt. Happened to us. LUCKILY  it just burned a hole in the shirt but if could have started a FIRE!  

Last time we’ve left clothes out on the balcony. 

m

To wit:  Star Princess, 2006

Image result for star princess fire

• Like 1

5 hours ago, momof4blessings said:

1. I know that the rooms have closets...do they have hangers? I'm going to want to hang a lot of our clothes and wondering if that's something I need to pack or if I can ask for some onboard if there aren't enough. Also any tricks for hanging wet towels/swimsuits?

@momof4blessings

Lots of hangers.  If you need more than you find at embarkation, just ask  your cabin steward for more.  I always do.  I love to hang up everything.  ☺️

We do a carryon for 4 things- DH’s cpap, medication, electronics (kindle, etc) & power cords, and swimsuits to change into (if we aren’t wearing them under our clothes).  We do a backpack (now that I think about it, I don’t know why... I think I’ll skip this next time) and a carry-on size rolly bag.

The only reason not to check your luggage (besides those who don't trust their luggage will show up) is if you need anything to use on the first day.  Luggage "should" arrive to your cabin by dinner time, but that is not always the case.

We try to pack light but always end up with a small backpack each for our first day.  On the plus side, we normally only need to carry them until 1pm when the cabins are available.

Edited by Rewind

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I never dry clothes on the balcony.

Two words:

Salt air.

And "oops...there goes my bathing suit over the railing to swim with the fishes!".  😮  And agree...as far as I know, RCI does not want you to leave things on the balcony while at sea.  

To the OP:  Yes, as mentioned hangers are in the closet...just never enough for me.  Solution:  I toss extra hangers in my suitcase (light plastic ones).  

Edited by island lady

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

To the OP:  Yes, as mentioned hangers are in the closet...just never enough for me.  Solution:  I toss extra hangers in my suitcase (light plastic ones).  

There’s no need for that. Just ask your cabin attendant for more hangers.