Coffee Card? Worth it?

SDCB432

13 minutes ago, SDCB432 said:

My husband and I are going on the 4 night Bahamas cruise in February and I wondered if the coffee card is worth it - can it be shared?  15 coffees for 4 night (5 day) is a LOT. How much are the drinks without the card?

Coffee card can be shared.

In typical RC fashion, they don't tell you before you purchase that they may charge multiple punches if you get other than the smallest size.

• Like 1

I got one for the DW. She loved it. Best little deal. No hassles. She got to know the baristas, was getting double shots a few times, single punches. Last one did her a two punch though by accident on a single shot, we never complained. It was well worth the money.

I think it is worth it.  I usually like a cappuccino or other similar drink.  My husband and I enjoy a speciality coffee on sea days, not when we are off the ship, so sharing the punch card works for us.  We don’t get a drink package, so saving a few dollars on coffee (or the drink card when we are able to get one) is how we drink a little bit more reasonably dollar cost wise.  

19 hours ago, adamrosie said:

Expensive. We got it and enjoyed it. However buyer beware- if you get a large drink they will punch the card twice. Royal nickel and diming at its best...

We just got off Adventure and had the drink package.  Loved getting a Starbucks in the morning (and iced or other in the afternoon).  Going forward, we probably won't purchase the full deluxe drink package at the current prices continue.  DH can make use of the refreshment package, but for me, I don't drink soda or juice so can see this being an option for me.

I'm assuming a tall would count as a single purchase?  What about a Venti (medium)?

Also it's a one time cost, right?  e.g. $41 CAD for one card

Edited by LuCruise

56 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I'm assuming a tall would count as a single purchase?  What about a Venti (medium)?

You can't assume anything - you have to ask the barista to confirm.

Yes, one time cost - the same cost on the ship as the planner so don't buy it until the barista tells you how many punches are used per the drink you drink and do the math.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 2:37 PM, Host Clarea said:

Coffee card can be shared.

In typical RC fashion, they don't tell you before you purchase that they may charge multiple punches if you get other than the smallest size.

That is exactly what we ran into on Anthem a couple of years ago. We immediately went to Guest Services who refunded the money for the cost of the card with no problem at all. It just didn't make sense with two punches for a large.

1 minute ago, Goofyfanatic said:

That is exactly what we ran into on Anthem a couple of years ago. We immediately went to Guest Services who refunded the money for the cost of the card with no problem at all. It just didn't make sense with two punches for a large.

This is why several of us recommend asking the rules onboard prior to purchase. 

24 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We had pre purchased it...this was before I was on Cruise Critic a lot.

I will say that guest services were great. We even mentioned that we had already used the card for what we felt was one punch and would like to pay for that coffee. The rep simply said to enjoy the coffee on them...it took someone that was very unhappy with the process and made them very happy.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Is the coffee card always available to purchase on board?  Or is it like the drink card where you sometimes can get it (if sales are low) and sometimes not)?

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Is the coffee card always available to purchase on board?  Or is it like the drink card where you sometimes can get it (if sales are low) and sometimes not)?

I believe it's always available.  It's also available in the Cruise Planner pre-cruise.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe it's always available.  It's also available in the Cruise Planner pre-cruise.

Thanks.  Yes I've seen it in cruise planner for those cruises showing drink items (i.e. some cruises further out are not yet available on cruise planner).  So wondering if we are to wait based on the comments to find out the rules of one punch vs two, if it will then be available for sure when we get there.

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  Yes I've seen it in cruise planner for those cruises showing drink items (i.e. some cruises further out are not yet available on cruise planner).  So wondering if we are to wait based on the comments to find out the rules of one punch vs two, if it will then be available for sure when we get there.

Unfortunately "for sure" is not dependable in the RC world.  We can say "likely", but not for sure.

• Thanks 1

does anyone have a picture of a typical menu for the types of coffee offered or is it just your basics; cappuccinos, lattes, etc?

i will be boarding anthem on sunday for an 11 night southern caribbean and think it may be worth it for me

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I  would give it a 99.92% probability of being available for purchase on board.  😄 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

does anyone have a picture of a typical menu for the types of coffee offered or is it just your basics; cappuccinos, lattes, etc?

i will be boarding anthem on sunday for an 11 night southern caribbean and think it may be worth it for me

Ovation of the Seas La Patisserie picture

• Like 1