Cruise Critic Community
cruising teacher80

speciality dining question

We have never done a speciality dining package before but we are looking at doing a 3 night package for our cruise in June. My question is do you get to pick the restaurant/time/day for each? and can you go to the same restaurant more than once and do you have to pick all of those things when you make the booking and can you make changes once you on the ship?

Thanks

We  have only done 1 specialty dining and never had the package. I will be following this post to see if we might want to do the package on our Sept. cruise. Thanks for asking the question.

How the Dining Packages work....

You can select a time for the first night at the time of purchase and Celebrity will book you into one of the specialty restaurants at that time for the first night. Once onboard you can change both the restaurant and (I believe) the night by either stopping by the specialty dining reservations tables that will be set up as you board or by visiting the Matre D who will be stationed at any of the specialty restaurants. You will also make your reservations for the remaining nights of you package at that time. You don’t have to go to each restaurant. The Matre D for one can schedule/change reservations for all.

My advice would be to visit very soon after boarding and be sure to have your preferred dates/times/restaurant planned (and some backup dates/times) as there will be many others doing the same. Times are based on availability so some flexibilty is key.  You shouldn’t have much of a problem if you are willing to eat before 6 or after 8. If you have a special occasion that you must have a certain day/time/restaurant it might be better to pay a little extra for that one night and purchase outside of a package. Then you are able to book a specific restaurant/time/day at time of purchase. 

Often time there will be crew members selling individual discounted restaurants for first night dining, too.

Edited by SeasideMemories

When you book a specialty restaurant at full price you can choose the date and time on the Celebrity website. When you book a package you are booking at a discount, so you cannot book the restaurant or time via the website,  but need to wait until onboard to book the specific restaurant and times to eat. The restaurant staff will choose a 1st night specialty restaurant and time so as to guarantee you have a place to eat. You'll find this restaurant assignment in your stateroom. However, right after you embark you can go to any pay restaurant and change that reservation to a different date and/or time. Some of the 3 day packages have restrictions, so read what's being offered when you book. For example, on my last cruise the 3 specialty restaurant deal included 2 dinners (1 first night) and a lunch TBD date. This had a good price but was very restrictive. We've booked specialty dining packages for say 5 nights, other times we've booked specialty dining for the entire cruise and have found the more nights we had booked, the more flexible our options when we met with a maitre d after we were onboard. When booking a package we like to head straight to Murano after embarking to book our dates and times. We once met a couple who booked a 7 night dining package for a 7 night cruise and ate at Murano every night. 

The Specialty restaurants were the highlight of our last cruise (from a dining perspective) and as others have mentioned, having booked the 4 night package online,we made our reservations immediately after boarding. 

My tip(s) would to consider the weather forecast if you plan on dining at the Lawn Club and to perhaps dine at the restaurant that appeals to you most, early on in your cruise, in case you want to visit there again. 🥰

At $125 pp, the 3-night package ($41.67 per night) is not much of a discount. You might get better negotiated discounts on board.

We typically prefer the specialty restaurants and take the unlimited package.  As soon as we board the ship, we speak to a restaurant rep- they are all over the ship.  They help us make reservations for the entire cruise- including any special lunches available.  You need to be a little flexible- however most of the time, since we do as soon as we board, we have no problems.

I think that you have all the information you need re booking, however a bit of further advice on how you may want to schedule your dining choices...

Murano’s tends to be a more formal atmosphere and the meal tends to last longer. It is a great venue to dine at a leisurely pace. We find that we enjoy it more on a day when we have really relaxed like a sea day or a day when we have had a short walk in port rather than a full excursion. We also book it on a day when we do not particularly want to see a show so we don’t end up clock watching.

Tuscan is great to be in when leaving a port. We look at our itinerary and tend to book Tuscan when we are leaving port at about 6 pm. So nice to be sipping a glass of wine, perusing a menu as the ship sets sail and the land slowly fades into the distance and the day turns slowly into night. It is also our preferred venue for first night dining...Something really magical about watching the sea whilst enjoying your first dinner.

LPC has set times so check activities before booking so you can best enjoy your evening.

As someone else has already said Lawn Club (and Porch) are deck venues, whilst they do have covers, heaters and blankets I would simply avoid on a cold cruise or book at the ‘warmer end’ of an itinerary (for example Southampton to the Mediterranean book a Mediterranean port)...

My comments are based on S class (no Lawn or Porch on some of them). If you are cruising on M class your choices are far more restricted. If you are on Edge ask for some specific advice on the speciality choices...

Hope you have some great dining experiences and a great cruise!

20 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We typically prefer the specialty restaurants and take the unlimited package.  As soon as we board the ship, we speak to a restaurant rep- they are all over the ship.  They help us make reservations for the entire cruise- including any special lunches available.  You need to be a little flexible- however most of the time, since we do as soon as we board, we have no problems.

What is the unlimited package - I do not see it on the website? 

We are on a 15-Day Cruise in March - they offer a 14-Meal package...  But I don't see the Unlimited.

2 hours ago, Von & John said:

What is the unlimited package - I do not see it on the website? 

We are on a 15-Day Cruise in March - they offer a 14-Meal package...  But I don't see the Unlimited.

The package isn’t always available  they sell limited quantities   We paid $179 pp for one week on the Harmony   We can dine in all specialty restaurants for dinner and those available for lunch   Doesn’t include any special parties or unique functions like a wine pairing   IMO well worth it.  Call to see if offered and available on your cruise and what the cost is

enjoy

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2020 at 5:59 AM, Cruise a holic said:

We typically prefer the specialty restaurants and take the unlimited package. 

4 hours ago, Von & John said:

What is the unlimited package?

Celebrity discontinued the "Unlimited" specialty dining package a few years ago.  But, they do offer multi-night dining at your choosing.  You can pre-book, or you can wait until you board to book the package.  But, on some sailings some packages may not be available. 😊  

Edited by Texed

There was never an Unlimited Dining package.   The discontinued package was called the Ultimate Dining Package which was $29/pp/pd and had to purchased on day 1 onboard which allowed you to choose any venue for evening meal and allowed you to take lunch at the Bistro on Five (now replaced ) for free.  Celebrity introduced 3night to 14 night dining package as a replacement but are restricted to one dining occasion per day.

12 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The package isn’t always available  they sell limited quantities   We paid $179 pp for one week on the Harmony   We can dine in all specialty restaurants for dinner and those available for lunch   Doesn’t include any special parties or unique functions like a wine pairing   IMO well worth it.  Call to see if offered and available on your cruise and what the cost is

enjoy

@Cruise a holic

Thanks!  Are you by chance think of RCI?