Passport requirement?

jennyg847

We will be sailing on the Panorama in early January.  My DH passport renewal has not arrived yet. Will he be able to board the ship with only a regular drivers license and his birth certificate?   I realize he will not be allowed to go ashore in Mexico.  

Yes a DL and BC will suffice.  Make sure the BC is from the state dept. or dept. of vital statistics (not hospital issued one).  He will be able to go ashore in Mexico.  They don't require you to show any type of passport to leave the ship in ports.  He'll just need to bring his DL and sail and sign card to get on and off the ship.  

4 minutes ago, imluvncruzn said:

Yes a DL and BC will suffice.  Make sure the BC is from the state dept. or dept. of vital statistics (not hospital issued one).  He will be able to go ashore in Mexico.  They don't require you to show any type of passport to leave the ship in ports.  He'll just need to bring his DL and sail and sign card to get on and off the ship.  

+1

51 minutes ago, imluvncruzn said:

Just be extraordinarily careful not to miss the boat.  Getting stuck in Mexico without a passport could be a little bit problematic.

1 hour ago, jennyg847 said:

My DH passport renewal has not arrived yet

Did he already apply? You can track it on their website. Not sure what you mean application has not arrived, it can be downloaded or available at your local post office.

1 hour ago, ParrotRob said:

Just be extraordinarily careful not to miss the boat.  Getting stuck in Mexico without a passport could be a little bit problematic.

Would not be "a little bit problematic". Would be a MAJOR hassle getting back into the USA, especially via airplane.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coevan said:

Did he already apply? You can track it on their website. Not sure what you mean application has not arrived, it can be downloaded or available at your local post office.

not sure where you saw mention of an application that has not arrived?

Was there an edit or a post deleted?

3 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

you are 100% correct, so could you explain how problematic it would be to get back to the U.S.?

If you had to air evac and did not have a passport or insurance, you could be in big poopy

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

If you had to air evac and did not have a passport or insurance, you could be in big poopy

Thank you I understand that part but what would the process be to get back home? Have to go to consulate, embassy? I'm guessing you would need to pay for hotel til passport is acquired? How long would this take? (ballpark guess)

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Thank you I understand that part but what would the process be to get back home? Have to go to consulate, embassy? I'm guessing you would need to pay for hotel til passport is acquired? How long would this take? (ballpark guess)

Not as big a deal as many make it. You can get same day emergency passports if you had an emergency and/or needed to quickly return to the USA. It's one of the main purposes of Embassy's and Consulates. Passports aren't needed for many closed loop sailings but are a good idea if you plan to travel internationally frequently. Enjoy your trip!

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services/emergency-passport/

• Like 4

Generally speaking, an unexpired driver's license/government-issued ID card and birth certificate will be enough for a Carnival cruise that begins and ends in the United States. As others have mentioned, having a passport is a much better plan if possible in case of the unexpected.

I would strongly recommend reviewing the information on Carnival's website (linked below) and contacting them if you have any questions, rather than solely relying on information posted by users to an internet forum. Best of luck with your trip.

https://www.carnival.com/help/3409

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

A lot depends on the circumstances but there are provisions in the regulations that allow the passport requirements to be waived for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. I've read of two instances where passengers had to leave the ship in Mexico- one due to a medical emergency and one due to an emergency back home. In both cases arrangements were made (not by the passenger) for them to go to the airport and when they arrived in the US they were processed through secondary inspection. There may be a delay that would require the expenditure of money for hotels, etc. but that's a stronger case for having good travel insurance (because even with a passport you may still face those types of delays).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

A lot depends on the circumstances but there are provisions in the regulations that allow the passport requirements to be waived for an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. I've read of two instances where passengers had to leave the ship in Mexico- one due to a medical emergency and one due to an emergency back home. In both cases arrangements were made (not by the passenger) for them to go to the airport and when they arrived in the US they were processed through secondary inspection. There may be a delay that would require the expenditure of money for hotels, etc. but that's a stronger case for having good travel insurance (because even with a passport you may still face those types of delays).

I forgot to say that the delay between leaving the ship and obtaining the clearance to fly home was measured in hours in both cases.

17 hours ago, jennyg847 said:

We will be sailing on the Panorama in early January.  My DH passport renewal has not arrived yet. Will he be able to board the ship with only a regular drivers license and his birth certificate?   I realize he will not be allowed to go ashore in Mexico.  

why cant he go ashore in Mexico from a cruise   

As long as your cruise starts and ends in the same port all he needs is a drivers license and birth certifcate.   He can get off the ship in all ports with those too

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Yes, that's called "sarcasm".

You can not fly into the United States without a passport. My sister in law had hers stolen in Cancun couple of years ago. After much hassle, gnashing of teeth, expense, she was allowed back home. Not recommended. 

2 hours ago, mexicobob said:

You can not fly into the United States without a passport. My sister in law had hers stolen in Cancun couple of years ago. After much hassle, gnashing of teeth, expense, she was allowed back home. Not recommended. 

I totally agree. Years ago, in 1986, I took my whole family to Aventuras Akumal, Mexico for a 1 week all inclusive land vacation. We could see Cozumel from our balcony, being on the mainland. We flew down, DFW to Cancun. We only had to have a picture I.D. and birth certificate to enter the country, AND to enter back into the United States. My how times have changed. THAT, my friends, was before widespread global terrorism, AND 9/11..... Now the requirements are a passport to travel via air. I can see why. These horrible international travel requirements are due to the birth of global terrorism, and the U.S. attempt to thwart the importation of same. It's in our best interest to have a passport when travelling internationally. Please keep that in mind when you get stranded in a foreign country. Just my humble opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I totally agree. Years ago, in 1986, I took my whole family to Aventuras Akumal, Mexico for a 1 week all inclusive land vacation. We could see Cozumel from our balcony, being on the mainland. We flew down, DFW to Cancun. We only had to have a picture I.D. and birth certificate to enter the country, AND to enter back into the United States. My how times have changed. THAT, my friends, was before widespread global terrorism, AND 9/11..... Now the requirements are a passport to travel via air. I can see why. These horrible international travel requirements are due to the birth of global terrorism, and the U.S. attempt to thwart the importation of same. It's in our best interest to have a passport when travelling internationally. Please keep that in mind when you get stranded in a foreign country. Just my humble opinion. 

I couldn't agree more.  Sure, you CAN travel with a DL and BC, but I wouldn't dare set foot out of the country these days without a passport.  Small price to pay for ten years of peace of mind.

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

May I ask what process it did take for her to get home? Did she have to travel to a US embassy to get an emergency replacement or was there a process at the airport with additional screenings?

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

There is a difference between traveling to a country via air and traveling to a country via cruise ship. The authorities know that you are on the cruise, they know who you are (since they vet all passengers during the cruise). The cruise line is responsible for letting them know when someone has left the cruise and why and arrangements are then made for the passenger to fly back to the US where they are cleared in secondary inspection (which consists of them proving that they are who they say they are). This is a far cry from some random person on independent travel just showing up at the airport saying "my passport was stolen". At the end of the day each cruiser must decide which documentation work best for their travel needs but millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport and have no issues at all.

33 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

There is a difference between traveling to a country via air and traveling to a country via cruise ship. The authorities know that you are on the cruise, they know who you are (since they vet all passengers during the cruise). The cruise line is responsible for letting them know when someone has left the cruise and why and arrangements are then made for the passenger to fly back to the US where they are cleared in secondary inspection (which consists of them proving that they are who they say they are). This is a far cry from some random person on independent travel just showing up at the airport saying "my passport was stolen". At the end of the day each cruiser must decide which documentation work best for their travel needs but millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport and have no issues at all.

Millions of people cross the street every day without getting hit.  But I still look both ways.  Millions of people drive every day without getting in a wreck.  But I still wear my seat belt.  

Having (and carrying) a passport out of the country is still a good idea - no matter how many people DON'T do it.

• Like 1

There is some incorrect information being posted here.  The process is not as easy as some are saying. The cruise line is not responsible for anything re: getting you home. The airlines have to do due diligence about your travel documents and they won’t just let you on a flight at the airport. Otherwise they can be fined and are they not going to risk that. I don’t want to share details but  my family had a frightening experience with a similar situation  a couple years ago. Ianswer to the question about what the process is, you would need to get yourself to a consulate and make an appointment within their working hours. See the earlier post about this. This websites offer lots of information and includes info re: appointment times for some of the offices. A great resource unless you are in a foreign country without data. 

The consulate would definitely help but you would need to prove citizenship / residency so you need proper ID or would require getting documentation sent to you. You also would need passport type photos. The process might be quick or might take a few days. You would need to cover hotels and meals. And if you missed your ship you likely only have one day worth of clothing so you would need to do some shopping. Have to book and pay for a short notice flight home. That might not happen immediately and sounds expensive.  Have a stranger pack up your things on the ship and make arrangements later to get your things from Carnival.  Use up some more vacation days from work. Pay the pet sitter for a few more days. Pay for a few more days of airport parking.

Sounds stressful, complicated and expensive.  How much is a passport again?

Edited by Teamv
Clarity
  • Like 1