Warnemünde / Rostock 2020

Travelanni

18 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Just to let you know, Princess has finally notified guests that the berth has been changed as I received a notice with this text today.  Thanks again for your help!

image.png.26f1ac018a31a1a626a54551e9e1d8e2.png

Oh heck, we have non-refundable train tickets from Berlin to Warnemunde return later in May.  I guess I had better do a quick plan on how to get to and from Rostock just in case.  😞 

11 minutes ago, Anubi said:

Oh heck, we have non-refundable train tickets from Berlin to Warnemunde return later in May.  I guess I had better do a quick plan on how to get to and from Rostock just in case.  😞 

That notice is just for May 9th.  The port schedule still shows us being on the passenger side (Warnemunde) on May 21st.  The berths are different depending on the date.  The sites I posted last week have a lot of good information including the port schedule and the difference in berths in Rostock / Warnemunde.

Edited by azbirdmom

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

That notice is just for May 9th.  The port schedule still shows us being on the passenger side (Warnemunde) on May 21st.  The berths are different depending on the date.

I just took a quick look and remembered that there are two train stations for Warnemunde.  One stops beside the cruise terminal where I understand the construction is and the other one is before the construction so I'm hoping that the train will take us at least that far and then we can take a cab the rest of the way.   In any case, I appreciate the heads up.  

Hi,

The previous 4 posts show just how confusing some cruise lines information can be so I would like to clarify a few points.

The rail station in Warnemünde is, finally, under reconstruction and due to re-open on 19th May 2020 but even though it is only across the road from the Cruise Terminal,  this has nothing whatsoever to do with where the cruise ships berth

Port Authorities assign berths months, even years, in advance and it depends on what other ships will be in port that day (eg here Aida ships have priority on berth 7), length, draught, dockside facilities required and a host of other details.  The Rostock Port Authority publishes the Cruise Ship Schedule (https://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2020-port-calls.) in January each year and this only changes in cases of emergency which is very rare. If you look at the port schedule you will see that berth 8 will be in use right from the beginning of the season, in other words while the station is still under construction !  Some cruise lines seem to have a very loose relationship with the truth in their information to passengers. :classic_rolleyes:

Also we, in this city, get a bit miffed when we see the port described as 'Berlin (Warnemünde) or Berlin (Rostock)'. It is not the port OF Berlin, it is the nearest port TO Berlin which is over 200klms inland to the south. A bit like saying 'Moscow (St Petersburg)'  or 'Washington (Newport News)'. Hamburg is the same distance from Berlin but no one would ever dream of referring to it as 'Berlin (Hamburg)'

Rostock is a port city of over 200,000 people stretching along the west bank of the River Warnow. 

Warnemünde is a beach suburb at the mouth of the river and the site of the Cruise Terminal (berths 1-4, 7 and 8), connected to the City by both road and suburban rail.. 

Rostock Seaport (berths LP41 and LP31) is the commercial port on the opposite bank of the river about halfway between  the City centre and Warnemünde, connected to both by road only.

Anubi is quite right regarding the stations.  The one previous is Warnemünde Werft , the rail terminus at present with a shuttle bus to the main station until it reopens.  It is only a short walk to berths 7 and 8.

The refurbishment of the station means passengers will be able to travel direct by ICE from Berlin, no changing trains in Rostock main station and the walk to the cruise berths will be barrier free. 

Happy cruising  :classic_smile:

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Travelanni said:

Anubi is quite right regarding the stations.  The one previous is Warnemünde Werft , the rail terminus at present with a shuttle bus to the main station until it reopens.  It is only a short walk to berths 7 and 8.

Travelanni, can you expand on this?  I assume that the main station you mention is the one nearest the cruise terminal.  So, right now, the trains are stopping at Warnenunde Werft and a shuttle bus completes the trip to Station Warnemunde where we can walk to the ship.  Or does this shuttle bus go directly to the cruise terminal?   I'm curious because in my experience, construction NEVER winds up when they say it does.  LOL  

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

Travelanni, can you expand on this?  I assume that the main station you mention is the one nearest the cruise terminal.  So, right now, the trains are stopping at Warnenunde Werft and a shuttle bus completes the trip to Station Warnemunde where we can walk to the ship.  Or does this shuttle bus go directly to the cruise terminal?   I'm curious because in my experience, construction NEVER winds up when they say it does.  LOL  

I agree entirely with your last sentence but we have been assured of the opening date and can only wait and see.

You have the stations right, the one under reconstruction is just called Warnemünde.

The shuttle bus departs from right alongside the platform at  Warnemünde  Werft,  through the town and finishes at Warnemünde station .  The temporary footpath from there to the cruise terminal, although flat, is quite a bit longer than it will be when the station is finished as it has to go round the construction site.  It should take about 8-10 mins  for the average walker but I would not recommend this route with luggage as the bus is usually small and the footpath has what can only be politely termed 'a wide range of surfaces'.:classic_dry:

However, the present rail terminus,  Warnemünde  Werft  is about the same walking distance to the cruise terminal as the above, 8-10 mins along a new road with a wide, smoothly paved footpath. You exit the station on the opposite side, through the subway from the arrival platform, no steps just a gentle slope.  I would certainly recommend this route if you are walking with luggage.

There is no shuttle bus direct to the cruise terminal at the moment although there have been rumours.............:classic_unsure:

I hope this is clear, it is quite difficult to explain the present set-up well enough for a stranger to visualise but hopefully all will be back to normal before you arrive. 

Nearer to the start of the season in late March, for the benefit of cruise passengers arriving while construction is still under way, I will post revised instructions on how to get from the ship into Warnemünde and to the train station for visiting Rostock and points beyond. Hopefully by then there will be more news on a shuttle bus to the cruise terminal and a firm date for the station reopening.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Travelanni said:

I agree entirely with your last sentence but we have been assured of the opening date and can only wait and see.

You have the stations right, the one under reconstruction is just called Warnemünde.

The shuttle bus departs from right alongside the platform at  Warnemünde  Werft,  through the town and finishes at Warnemünde station .  The temporary footpath from there to the cruise terminal, although flat, is quite a bit longer than it will be when the station is finished as it has to go round the construction site.  It should take about 8-10 mins  for the average walker but I would not recommend this route with luggage as the bus is usually small and the footpath has what can only be politely termed 'a wide range of surfaces'.:classic_dry:

However, the present rail terminus,  Warnemünde  Werft  is about the same walking distance to the cruise terminal as the above, 8-10 mins along a new road with a wide, smoothly paved footpath. You exit the station on the opposite side, through the subway from the arrival platform, no steps just a gentle slope.  I would certainly recommend this route if you are walking with luggage.

There is no shuttle bus direct to the cruise terminal at the moment although there have been rumours.............:classic_unsure:

I hope this is clear, it is quite difficult to explain the present set-up well enough for a stranger to visualise but hopefully all will be back to normal before you arrive. 

Nearer to the start of the season in late March, for the benefit of cruise passengers arriving while construction is still under way, I will post revised instructions on how to get from the ship into Warnemünde and to the train station for visiting Rostock and points beyond. Hopefully by then there will be more news on a shuttle bus to the cruise terminal and a firm date for the station reopening.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you, that is very helpful.  I will be checking your website and keeping an eye on your posts for updates.  Much appreciated.   🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 7:51 PM, Travelanni said:

The refurbishment of the station means passengers will be able to travel direct by ICE from Berlin, no changing trains in Rostock main station and the walk to the cruise berths will be barrier free. 

Anni, thank you so much or the information provided; it is very helpful.

Our cruise is leaving on May 30th from LP41. Will it change something for passengers departing from there? Will it make it any easier?

Thanks again,

14 hours ago, Pacificana said:

Anni, thank you so much or the information provided; it is very helpful.

Our cruise is leaving on May 30th from LP41. Will it change something for passengers departing from there? Will it make it any easier?

Thanks again,

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

The reply to your question is, unfortunately, no.  LP41 is in the overseas port on the opposite side of the river to the City of Rostock.  There is no DIRECT rail or public transport link between the two.  Passengers traveling by train from Berlin must alight at the Rostock Hbf. (main station) and continue to LP41 either by taxi or the bus which is provided by some cruise lines.  The other alternative is a bus transfer provided by the cruise line direct from Berlin but this is usually an expensive option compared with the train/bus option.

At the moment DB offers a ticket from Berlin to Rostock, when booked on line, at €31.90 pp. and the cost of a taxi is around €30.

Happy cruising :classic_smile:

Anni,

www.travelanni.webs.com

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:09 PM, Pacificana said:

Thank you, Anni,

We are actually spending a night before the cruise in Rostok. We will take a shuttle if offered, but if it is not, Is there a way to get to LP41 other than taxi?

Hi,  the only other option is by public transport  but, as I said previously, there is no direct way to get from Rostock City to LP41 by public transport.  There are, however, two possibilities involving train/bus or tram/bus.

1. From your hotel by bus, tram or taxi (depending on which hotel you are staying in) to Rostock Hbf (main station).  S-bahn, (direction Warnemünde) to Lütten Klein, change to #45 bus to Seehafen Fähre, short walk to LP41.  This bus runs at 30min intervals before 8am and after 1pm, 1hour intervals between 8am and 1pm.

2.From your hotel by tram #s 1,2,3 or 4 to Dierkower Kreuz, change to bus #49 to Seehafen Fähre, short walk to LP41. This bus runs every hour.

Each of these journeys would take over an hour depending on where your hotel is and the timing of connections.

IMHO neither of these options bears comparison to taking a taxi, whatever the cost,  at the beginning of a cruise when you have luggage and if you want to avoid the stress of navigating a strange transport system.  Drive from hotel to ship will take 15-20mins depending on traffic.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
error in times

• 6 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 1:55 AM, dogs4fun said:

Anni, are you okay? Tried to access your website multiple times - no luck. Receive message: HTTP ERROR 503

Hoping you are well 

Hi, many thanks for your concern. I am still alive and kicking. 

However, I closed the web site in June and stopped using CC as I was due to return to Australia at the beginning of August but COVID put a stop to that. As I had given up my flat etc I had to move back to my friends place in Luwigslust and am now waitIng for the restrictions to be eased so I can return Down  Under and rejoin the possessions which I had sent ahead !

I no longer have any connection with the port even if there were cruise ships which I doubt will happen this year. I enjoyed my time with CC and the friends I made over the years but life moves on and I must return to my family.

I will keep an eye on the forum and look forward to reading about Rostock/Warnemünde when things start up again.

My best wishes to you and all the other hard working members who spend their time and efforts to help the cruisers enjoy their shore time. 

Take care, travel safe, stay healthy and be happy

Anni 😊

• Like 3