Cruise Critic Community
p5woody

Can I use another persons seapass?

Let me clarify, my wife is buying the refreshment package, I am not.  I am also an early riser (translation I don't sleep much) so I get up early - normally work out, walk, or just explore the ship while everybody else is sleeping.  My wife is a late sleeper.  I would like to get her a specialty coffee and a light breakfast for her to enjoy when she wakes up.  She enjoys sitting on the balcony before starting her day.  Will they let me use her card?

7 minutes ago, p5woody said:

Let me clarify, my wife is buying the refreshment package, I am not.  I am also an early riser (translation I don't sleep much) so I get up early - normally work out, walk, or just explore the ship while everybody else is sleeping.  My wife is a late sleeper.  I would like to get her a specialty coffee and a light breakfast for her to enjoy when she wakes up.  She enjoys sitting on the balcony before starting her day.  Will they let me use her card?

They certainly should.  My hubby always gets up before me and I have my coffee waiting for me when I wake up on the ship.

Happy cruising.

4 minutes ago, Eeyore1962 said:

They certainly should.  My hubby always gets up before me and I have my coffee waiting for me when I wake up on the ship.

Happy cruising.

Have you done this using your card as part of the refreshment package when your husband doesn't have the package?  Thanks

1 minute ago, p5woody said:

Have you done this using your card as part of the refreshment package when your husband doesn't have the package?  Thanks

No, my hubby and I both have the package, however, he uses my card to get my coffee and his card to get his espresso at the same time.

36 minutes ago, Eeyore1962 said:

No, my hubby and I both have the package, however, he uses my card to get my coffee and his card to get his espresso at the same time.

Having two packages makes this work because they know/assume that one beverage is for each cardholder. Having only one package, and trying to use someone else's card, they might think you are trying to "steal" a beverage using someone else's card.

OP - Try it on the first day. Explain to the attendant that your wife is still in the cabin getting ready for the day and that you'd like to bring her a cup of coffee to help her get her day started.

10 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Having two packages makes this work because they know/assume that one beverage is for each cardholder. Having only one package, and trying to use someone else's card, they might think you are trying to "steal" a beverage using someone else's card.

OP - Try it on the first day. Explain to the attendant that your wife is still in the cabin getting ready for the day and that you'd like to bring her a cup of coffee to help her get her day started.

This was my concern, I would completely understand if they told me no.  They have no way of knowing if I am just using her card for my own personal use or I am actually getting it for her.  Wasn't sure if RCCL assumes you are honest or dishonest. 🙂

I might just buy my own package so there are no issues.  The issue is I am diabetic so I won't drink any of the mocktails, specialty coffees, or juice.  I don't drink soda and like plain black coffee, so I would be spending a lot of money for water.

Edited by p5woody

8 minutes ago, p5woody said:

This was my concern, I would completely understand if they told me no.  They have no way of knowing if I am just using her card for my own personal use or I am actually getting it for her.  Wasn't sure if RCCL assumes you are honest or dishonest. 🙂

I might just buy my own package so there are no issues.  The issue is I am diabetic so I won't drink any of the mocktails, specialty coffees, or juice.  I don't drink soda and like plain black coffee, so I would be spending a lot of money for water.

If it didn’t work it would be cheaper for you just to buy her that one coffee a day rather than you buying a package you would only use for water. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If it didn’t work it would be cheaper for you just to buy her that one coffee a day rather than you buying a package you would only use for water. 

I just noticed they have a coffee card for $31, that might be an option. This includes 15 specialty coffees, I will be travelling with my daughter and her boyfriend, I am sure they would drink any extras.  Since the 15 specialty coffees are paid for, they should be able to be shared.

5 minutes ago, p5woody said:

I just noticed they have a coffee card for $31, that might be an option. This includes 15 specialty coffees, I will be travelling with my daughter and her boyfriend, I am sure they would drink any extras.  Since the 15 specialty coffees are paid for, they should be able to be shared.

Yes, those can be shared.  Gotta watch the cards, some ships are two punches for large and an extra punch for a shot of espresso. It’s actually cheaper just to buy the coffee depending on what you drink. 

They can be shared 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, p5woody said:

Wasn't sure if RCCL assumes you are honest or dishonest. 🙂

Yes, RCCL assumes we are all dishonest. That's because so many on this board bragged about being dishonest. That's what finally made RCCL change the Deluxe Package rules to Everyone over 21 in a cabin had to buy one or no one could have one.  

It's not a reflection on any one person, nor can one blame RCCL.  It's just too much cheating and too much bragging about cheating. 

But I suspect the server will not question you for coffee.  They actually don't really care.  They want you to be happy and have a great cruise.  You should ask on the first day.  If you're upfront from the start it's a pretty good sign you aren't trying to cheat the system.  I bet you'll have no problem.  It's really the Alcohol package that they care most about. 

Edited by papaflamingo

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Best idea yet.  😉 

22 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Yes, RCCL assumes we are all dishonest. That's because so many on this board bragged about being dishonest. That's what finally made RCCL change the Deluxe Package rules to Everyone over 21 in a cabin had to buy one or no one could have one.  

Do you have any proof of this?  Its a big statement.  I doubt very much that RCCl made the switch because a few people, a very small demographic of their clientele, boasted about cheating the system.  It would be more probable that the head honchos sat around trying to figure out how to increase profit and decided this would fit the model.  It's easy dollars in their pockets.  It's also easy to blame the bragging for the change but maybe there is something printed somewhere that supports what your saying?  

Op, we have found that it depends on the server if they will or if they won't allow this.  DH does not drink and I do.  Most of the time they allow him to get my drinks but there is always an occasion or two when they want him to point me out before they will get the drink.  

When talking about using your spouses sea pass, I can relate but with a different family member.

The DD left the cabin in a hurry one morning to go to the gym, and took my sea pass by mistake.

We went to breakfast and I had hers.

We kept missing connections and I was not going to sit in the cabin waiting for her.

So we went to the pool, and all of us in the cabin had the drink package.

A couple hours and many drinks later (DD not me) we crossed paths.

And she said she did not realize she had my sea pass until the one bartender told her ----her picture does not do her justice.

So they can pull up the picture when they take your sea pass to get a drink and run it thru the computer, which we no for a fact, that some runners at the pool just ask for cabin number.

So. they can tell if it is a family member, and probably who has what if any package in the same cabin. (Not starting rumors on this point, but just saying).

Safe travels

Happy New Year

14 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Do you have any proof of this?  Its a big statement.  I doubt very much that RCCl made the switch because a few people, a very small demographic of their clientele, boasted about cheating the system.  It would be more probable that the head honchos sat around trying to figure out how to increase profit and decided this would fit the model.  It's easy dollars in their pockets.  It's also easy to blame the bragging for the change but maybe there is something printed somewhere that supports what your saying?  

Sharing drinks packages was rampant, not a rare occasion. Cruisers are notorious for trying to get a deal or save money. Half the topics on this forum are dedicated to just that. Just do a google search for how to sneak booze onto a ship. There are literally companies who make fake shampoo and sunscreen bottles to accomplish it. And rum runner bags to help avoid detection on scanners. It’s an entire industry so people can cheat the system. Just because you wouldn’t think of doing it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. 

2 hours ago, p5woody said:

Beware some specialty coffees count as "2" on the card.  So you may not really be purchasing 15 

2 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

Op, we have found that it depends on the server if they will or if they won't allow this.  DH does not drink and I do.  Most of the time they allow him to get my drinks but there is always an occasion or two when they want him to point me out before they will get the drink.  

My goodness... someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. 

"Proof?"  No.  BUT I'm intelligent enough to put 2 and 2 together.  So, a little history... when Royal Caribbean first began the Drink Packages, the rules required that everyone in the cabin 21 and over must buy the package.  Then after a year or so, unlike every other cruisline where that rule has always been in effect,  Royal changed and allowed one person to purchase the package whether or not anyone else in the cabin did.  That lasted for a significant number of years.  During those years there were thread after thread after thread on CC bragging about how people bought one package and shared drinks with their cabin mates and/or friends.  Finally Royal Caribbean changed BACK to what they originally did.  So, no I can't "prove" my theory.  But they knew the profit and loss aspect from day one.  Maybe they just decided to change back. Maybe they just decided it was more of a money maker.  Who knows.  But as Dancingnurse said, there has been booze smuggling going on since Noahs Ark (and no I don't have proof of that either, it's said tongue in cheek).  As more and more proudly post about how they smuggle booze, coincidentally, Royal Caribbean begins to check specifically for those methods. "Proof?"  No, but I also don't believe in coincidence. 

Edited by papaflamingo

6 hours ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

Sharing drinks packages was rampant, not a rare occasion. Cruisers are notorious for trying to get a deal or save money. Half the topics on this forum are dedicated to just that. Just do a google search for how to sneak booze onto a ship. There are literally companies who make fake shampoo and sunscreen bottles to accomplish it. And rum runner bags to help avoid detection on scanners. It’s an entire industry so people can cheat the system. Just because you wouldn’t think of doing it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. 

Again, how do you know this?   I don't have to do a google search, I know it happens, I just would not classify it as rampant.  

Yes there are loads of threads on there about how people beat the system however do you have any idea of what percentage of RCCL cruisers are actually on cruise critic?  Probably no more than 5%.  So your measuring your response on a small fraction of the RCCL clientele.  Even there it's not half of those people who cheat the system.  I still very much doubt the change was made because people bragged about it.  

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

My goodness... someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. 

"Proof?"  No.  BUT I'm intelligent enough to put 2 and 2 together.  So, a little history... when Royal Caribbean first began the Drink Packages, the rules required that everyone in the cabin 21 and over must buy the package.  Then after a year or so, unlike every other cruisline where that rule has always been in effect,  Royal changed and allowed one person to purchase the package whether or not anyone else in the cabin did.  That lasted for a significant number of years.  During those years there were thread after thread after thread on CC bragging about how people bought one package and shared drinks with their cabin mates and/or friends.  Finally Royal Caribbean changed BACK to what they originally did.  So, no I can't "prove" my theory.  But they knew the profit and loss aspect from day one.  Maybe they just decided to change back. Maybe they just decided it was more of a money maker.  Who knows.  But as Dancingnurse said, there has been booze smuggling going on since Noahs Ark (and no I don't have proof of that either, it's said tongue in cheek).  As more and more proudly post about how they smuggle booze, coincidentally, Royal Caribbean begins to check specifically for those methods. "Proof?"  No, but I also don't believe in coincidence. 

What I'm reading is that Royal figured out where they could get profit back.  A company has to grow and increase earnings year over year.  Just because they had it one way for a few years does not mean that they have to keep it that way forever.  It also does not mean a change has been made because some people bragged about beating the system.  Changing fees today doesn't make it a coincidence.  And no, I get up on the same side of the bed each morning, but when I read something I don't feel is silly I call it out.  

I’m going to get a ear bashing but.

my daughter wants to take her friend to coastal kitchen for dinner but friend isn’t in a suite.

If I gave her friend my card do you think we would get away with it?

6 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I firmly believe that if you talk to them on the first day and explain the situation, they'll accommodate you.

This is my suggestion as well.  Chances are it will be the same staff working each morning so just pay them a visit and I doubt you'll have a problem.

19 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Again, how do you know this?   I don't have to do a google search, I know it happens, I just would not classify it as rampant.  

Yes there are loads of threads on there about how people beat the system however do you have any idea of what percentage of RCCL cruisers are actually on cruise critic?  Probably no more than 5%.  So your measuring your response on a small fraction of the RCCL clientele.  Even there it's not half of those people who cheat the system.  I still very much doubt the change was made because people bragged about it.  

I can just imagine the crazy eyes you wore while typing this rant. 😂 I have no proof, nor do I owe it to you because you feel my claim is silly. Believe it or not, just don’t expect me to conduct a professional survey of alcoholic beverage cheats onboard RCI. I’ve seen the product reviews on the rum runners and other products where people talk about how well it worked and all the different cruises and events they use them. I trust that if people feel a package is too expensive, they will find a way to cheat the system if they’re determined to drink. It will, of course, make a difference of what cruise line you’re on or the time of year. Spring breakers would be more likely to attempt it. I prefer to buy the package if it’s affordable because it’s far more convenient. 

40 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Do you have any PROOF of this. How can you just throw out an arbitrary number with no facts to back it up?

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m going to get a ear bashing but.

my daughter wants to take her friend to coastal kitchen for dinner but friend isn’t in a suite.

If I gave her friend my card do you think we would get away with it?

That is not going to work.  The maitre'd at Coastal Kitchen will know who you are after going there once.  You can ask if she can bring a guest, some ships allow it, most don't.

13 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Do you have any PROOF of this. How can you just throw out an arbitrary number with no facts to back it up?

Well, I did say 'probably' and did not state it as a fact as some of the other comments were.  Just an estimate and I would certainly be willing to increase or decrease this number as I don't have a for sure percent.  It certainly is a small percent of cruisers though.  I've talked to many cruisers who have never heard of CC.  I myself had been sailing for years before I found out about CC.  There are plenty like me out there.  

On the other hand, saying that the reason RCCL changed their policy, stated as a fact, is because of cheaters is not something that can be said.  We each will believe what we want however I chose to believe that it has to do with their profit margin which makes so much more sense than a few people on board cheat the system there fore they have no other option.  JMO and not every ones.  

Edited by tinkertwo