Tracy Arm July 1

Luv2cruz1000

22 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Wondered when cruise ships got into Tracy Arm in 2019. We are looking at a cruise that is in Tracy Arm July 1 and wonder if we should choose a  later departure. Does anyone know if Holland America goes to Endicott if it cannot get into Tracy Arm? 

It can even change day by day. It is possible a ship gets in July 1 and then not July 2nd.

I would look into a ship that has long times in Juneau and arrives by 8 am to 8 or 9 pm to be able to do AdventureBound Alaska: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com  Though even with them, there is a slight chance you may go to Endicott Arm. That usually only happens early in the season.

NB Princess allows for this. I am guessing there are a few others that also allow for enough time do this excursion.

Agreed that conditions change year to year, even day to day.  But knowing trends does give you a slightly better chance in the lottery. 🙂  

We were there July 11 one year, and only got a glimpse of the glacier, but the fjord was beautiful and full of bergy bits.  In 2019 we went in August and got really, really close to the glacier (but there wasn't much ice in the water) 

Pics from July 11, 2011:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2011/11/tracy-arm-alaska.html

Pics from August 17, 2019:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/09/tracy-arm-fjord-alaska.html

• Like 1

I have to agree it all depends on the ice conditions in the fjord if the ship captain will go up into the fjord.  Most years that I’ve been into Tracy Arm the ship turns around at Sawyer Island, it’s still a pretty good ways away from the Sawyer Glacier. We have taken the small boat tour numerous times from the ship and they have always gotten a lot closer to the glacier than the cruise ship has. The Adventure Bound boat tour is a nice tour, but there boat boards at 8:15am and returns to Juneau at 6pm, so it all depends on what time your ship docks in Juneau.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:29 AM, Coral said:

I would look into a ship that has long times in Juneau and arrives by 8 am to 8 or 9 pm to be able to do AdventureBound Alaska: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com  

NB Princess allows for this. I am guessing there are a few others that also allow for enough time do this excursion.

Princess changed our June port time from 7a-9p to 7a-6p.* When I contacted Adventure Bound last July, they indicated an unwillingness to alter their schedule to accommodate a cruise ship's schedule (!), but told me to contact them early in 2020 to find out the hours for this year's tours. I plan to do that this coming week.

* Also the port times for the July 2021 cruise I'm looking at. Both of these itineraries come from ISP to Juneau, affording no possibility of an en route disembarkation.

Edited by crystalspin

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Princess changed our June port time from 7a-9p to 7a-6p.* When I contacted Adventure Bound last July, they indicated an unwillingness to alter their schedule to accommodate a cruise ship's schedule (!), but told me to contact them early in 2020 to find out the hours for this year's tours. I plan to do that this coming week.

* Also the port times for the July 2021 cruise I'm looking at. Both of these itineraries come from ISP to Juneau, affording no possibility of an en route disembarkation.

I am looking at Coral Princess NB 2020 and 2021 and it shows 8 am to 9 pm.

7 am to 6 pm isn't good enough times to work with AdventureBound.

The small boat excursion gets you MUCH closer to the glaciers!  

We got diverted from Tracy Arm back in 2016, due to icebergs in the channel opening they said...but Endicott was fantastic.

here's my video"

Not only does the small boat get you closer to the glacier, it actually will get you right up to icebergs, waterfalls, sealife...  worth every penny!

We have booked again for July 2020, and will be doing the small boat excursion hopefully to Tracy Arm this time, but either way we are very excited.  Its a blast.

robin