Never again on Holland America

promisem

Just now, kazu said:

I’m not misunderstanding anything.  I’ve read the entire thread.

I fully sympathize with leaving late and understand your disappointment but the bottom line is you were still on the ship.  You weren’t sleeping on the San Diego docks.  You were sleeping on the ship.

Our cruise in the fall overnights in Kobe.  I certainly consider it a cruise even if I am sleeping on the Kobe docks 😉 

OK, we were sleeping on the ship at the docks. No different than sleeping at a hotel at the docks. IT IS NOT A CRUISE.

Overnighting in Kobe is apples and oranges. It's on your schedule.

6 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Sorry, but any cruise line in the industry would call a Saturday to Saturday cruise a 7 night cruise, no matter where the ship went. You won't find anyone with cruise experience who would support your logic. 

Sorry in turn, but it's not a 7-night cruise if we cruise only 6 nights. Anyone with any meaningful business experience supports that logic.

"Cruise: to sail about touching at a series of ports." - Merriam Webster dictionary

Feel free to debate with Merriam Webster.  😉

Edited by promisem

2 minutes ago, promisem said:

OK, we were sleeping on the ship at the docks. No different than sleeping at a hotel at the docks. IT IS NOT A CRUISE.

Overnighting in Kobe is apples and oranges. It's on your schedule.

OK, what about a cruise that boards one day, but doesn't depart until the following day?  Is that not a cruise?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, promisem said:

I'm not sure why HAL defenders are so upset, but I'll try to summarize their points:

1. Some think there should be no compensation under any circumstances.

2. Some think HAL isn't responsible for any problems under their control.

3. Some think I shouldn't post anything bad about HAL.

The summary of what I think:

1. I'm glad I got some compensation.

2. HAL is responsible for problems under their control.

3. I paid for 3 ports and a six-day, seven-night cruise.

4. I didn't pay for 2 ports and a five-day, six-night cruise.

5. The $100 doesn't equal the lost value of what I paid for.

As I said earlier on this thread I was on this same cruise (doing a back to back November 30-December 14).  

I received an email December 3 from HAL about the cancelled port of Mazatlán and the overnight stay in San Diego plus the $100 per person refundable OBC for the inconvenience.

My husband and I had already spent 4 nights prior to the first cruise in San Diego so yes, we were disappointed staying overnight on the ship and missing Mazatlan.  However, we have cruised enough to know that things happen and try to go with the flow.  The decisions made to overnight in San Diego I’m sure weren’t made in haste.  

OP-I am sorry you had less than what you expected on this cruise.   Several things happened to you which have caused displeasure especially missing a port and staying in San Diego.  If you cruise again please be aware things can happen on any vacation that, at times, are upsetting.   I can’t imagine how you would have felt if we left as scheduled and something happened at sea.  

Maybe it’s time to let this thread go.  Write your letter to HAL if that is what you want to do and perhaps get closure. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

OK, what about a cruise that boards one day, but doesn't depart until the following day?  Is that not a cruise?

Certainly is.  Venice, Buenos Aires are a just a couple that come to mind where the cruise doesn’t leave until the next day 😉.  And many enjoy that as they get to experience the city before they leave.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

As I said earlier on this thread I was on this same cruise (doing a back to back November 30-December 14).  

I received an email December 3 from HAL about the cancelled port of Mazatlán and the overnight stay in San Diego plus the $100 per person refundable OBC for the inconvenience.

My husband and I had already spent 4 nights prior to the first cruise in San Diego so yes, we were disappointed staying overnight on the ship and missing Mazatlan.  However, we have cruised enough to know that things happen and try to go with the flow.  The decisions made to overnight in San Diego I’m sure weren’t made in haste.  

OP-I am sorry you had less than what you expected on this cruise.   Several things happened to you which have caused displeasure especially missing a port and staying in San Diego.  If you cruise again please be aware things can happen on any vacation that, at times, are upsetting.   I can’t imagine how you would have felt if we left as scheduled and something happened at sea.  

Maybe it’s time to let this thread go.  Write your letter to HAL if that is what you want to do and perhaps get closure. 

Thanks, Canadian Bear. I'm on the verge of letting it go. There just isn't anything good on TV tonight.  🙂