Oosterdam boarding time, etc.

dland4us

This will be our second cruise with Holland, so very glad to be back.  Our first cruise was in 2010 so my memories are a little foggy.  We're sailing on Oosterdam out of San Diego.  Does anyone know what time we can expect to board the ship and when will our Signature Suite (not sure if a booking a suite makes a difference in availability) be available?  First time having a suite, celebrating our 40 year anniversary! Any other tips about Oosterdam and San Diego cruise port would be welcome.

Boarding on HAL ships normally begins at 11:30, and cabins are normally at that time. 
Of course, there can always be unexpected reasons for exceptions to this rule, but most of the time all goes as planned. 

49 minutes ago, dland4us said:

This will be our second cruise with Holland, so very glad to be back.  Our first cruise was in 2010 so my memories are a little foggy.  We're sailing on Oosterdam out of San Diego.  Does anyone know what time we can expect to board the ship and when will our Signature Suite (not sure if a booking a suite makes a difference in availability) be available?  First time having a suite, celebrating our 40 year anniversary! Any other tips about Oosterdam and San Diego cruise port would be welcome.

We just spent 2 weeks on the Oosterdam.  We were the only ship in port.  We checked out of our hotel early and by 1030 there were lots of people in the waiting area.  I think we started boarding around 11:35 or so.  Usually you can drop off any carry on in your cabin soon as you board.

Happy 40th anniversary!  Hope you enjoy your cruise.

FYI - Signature suites do not get boarding priority, but Neptune suites do.  We have often been offered "upsells" to a Neptune suite (from a Signature) at about 2-4 weeks prior to sailing, so carefully watch your email for an offer from HAL or your TA.  Research upsells on this message board.  This occurs very often on the Vista class ships since (IMO) they were overbuilt with Neptunes.  Upsells geneally go for $99-299 for a 7 day cruise.  Be prepared to jump on an upsell offer quickly if you get one as they go fast.

As to SD port - there are many hotels very close to the pier, well within walking distance (see the West Coast Departures board for information).  Also many things to do - tour the Enterprise aircraft carrier (very close), see the Maritime museum (very close), walk the boardwalk to Seaport Village, dine in Little Italy (4-6 blocks away).  Sea World and the SD zoo are great attractions and a very short taxi ride away.  There is a trolley that takes you to a number of attractions/places as I recall.

Aw.. Happy 40 year Anniversary! My sister and family have lived in San Diego for 40 years. We love downtown! How long are you staying prior to boarding? 

The Oosterdam suites are beautiful and I'm sure you'll be so happy with it. You will not get a preboarding perk, but assume you'll board about 11:30 or so. Go to the main dining room for lunch. Relax and look around. Toast with a glass of champagne to your anniversary! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your cruise. We will be on Oosterdam 6 weeks beginning March 7th. We will raise a glass to you, I promise!

17 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Aw.. Happy 40 year Anniversary! My sister and family have lived in San Diego for 40 years. We love downtown! How long are you staying prior to boarding? 

The Oosterdam suites are beautiful and I'm sure you'll be so happy with it. You will not get a preboarding perk, but assume you'll board about 11:30 or so. Go to the main dining room for lunch. Relax and look around. Toast with a glass of champagne to your anniversary! I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your cruise. We will be on Oosterdam 6 weeks beginning March 7th. We will raise a glass to you, I promise!

Thank you very much!  Wonderful advice ! Have fun on your upcoming cruise as well.

1 hour ago, Vic The Parrot said:

If you happen to stay near Little Italy, give Filippo's Pizza Grotto a try. 

I had excellent meals there the many times I stayed in SD.

And it's not just pizza, lots of great Italian dishes abound!

Thank you so much! We love little Italy in SD.  This is a wonderful suggestion !

10 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

If you happen to stay near Little Italy, give Filippo's Pizza Grotto a try. 

I had excellent meals there the many times I stayed in SD.

And it's not just pizza, lots of great Italian dishes abound!

Second this advice.  Flippo's is located near the LITTLE ITALY sign (over the street) but it is in the back of a deli shop, so can be hard to spot,  I am sure there is a sign outside.

I've lived in San Diego for 45 years, and if it were moi....

I'm really liking Liberty Station at Point Loma these days.  With Seaport Village undergoing refurb, as well as Horton Plaza, that end of town by the cruise terminal isn't at its best right now.  There at Liberty Station there are lots of restaurants, a great food marketplace like the one in Philly, and we took a hike/walk from Liberty Station toward downtown and I was amazed by the great path that is carved out all the way from Liberty Station, past Harbor Island, and down toward the cruise terminal.  (I think it goes all the way to downtown, but we got tired!)  It's a beautiful walk.  There are several mid-range hotels there (Marriott and the other usual suspects, ) all a short taxi or Uber ride from the airport and another short ride to the cruise terminal.  (Also short uber or taxi to Old Town, zoo, etc.)

I think this would be a really fun pre-cruise location.