Where to get taxi's?

stoddaj1

Walk all the way out to the parking area where the tram loads and you will see the gate that leads out to the street.  Go through the gate and there will be a guy there who coordinates the taxis.  It’s a hike but most of the hike is getting out of the port area.  We do it every time we go there though.  

2 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Walk all the way out to the parking area where the tram loads and you will see the gate that leads out to the street.  Go through the gate and there will be a guy there who coordinates the taxis.  It’s a hike but most of the hike is getting out of the port area.  We do it every time we go there though.  

The taxi stand is just outside the gate on the LHS. They can drop you off inside on your return so you will see taxis inside before you leave but in our experience tgey will not pick you up there.

I would also add that you should check fare before you leave. I am not sure if there is a board with prices like in Cozumel (i will certainly check on my next visit) but I feel there is some double dipping going on if you are two couples sharing a taxi. Originally it was $2pp in a taxi for 4 which meant, $4 for two people and $8 for 4. Then it became $8 per taxii. Whilst that is expensive for a 5 minute ride and that is certainly the tourist rate I am OK with that but it seems they are trying to charge $4pp now. I am not OK with $16 for a five minute ride squashed in a taxi for 4.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:43 AM, c-leg5 said:

Whilst that is expensive for a 5 minute ride and that is certainly the tourist rate I am OK with that but it seems they are trying to charge $4pp now. I am not OK with $16 for a five minute ride squashed in a taxi for 4.

Can I ask which beach you have gone to using this method? We are looking to do exactly this--take a cheap taxi ride to a nice beach. Getting mixed reviews on beaches. Sounds like you found one you liked?

43 minutes ago, klmxt4 said:

Can I ask which beach you have gone to using this method? We are looking to do exactly this--take a cheap taxi ride to a nice beach. Getting mixed reviews on beaches. Sounds like you found one you liked?

My suggestion to you is to go to Google maps and zoom in on Mahahual. You will see along the bay, beach club after beach club listed (from Luna de Plata to Blue Kay) and you can open links to any you are interested in. It is one long beach with many individual bars. It depends on what activities you are interested in.

The beach road from Sulumar to Blue Kay is a wide, pedestrian-only way and known as the malecon. The two ends are quietest,  with more lively clubs in the middle. You will find reviews for many of the clubs if you browse through this forum to find one you like the sound of. Warning, one or two have a reputation for over charging; several are now trying to sell a day pass.

Most recently we visited a new location Malecon21, near Sulumar and enjoyed it very much and will return in February. I have a review in this thread

We have also visited Tropicante several times and this is also reputable with many reviews.

One ceveat for Costa Maya, depending on the season, sargassum can be a serious problem which if it is present will be a problem at all locations along the bay. Some will do a better job than others at clearing but at its worse can be overwhelming. We have experienced great, seaweed free days and, not so great.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Most recently we visited a new location Malecon21, near Sulumar and enjoyed it very much and will return in February. I have a review in this thread

One ceveat for Costa Maya, depending on the season, sargassum can be a serious problem which if it is present will be a problem at all locations along the bay. Some will do a better job than others at clearing but at its worse can be overwhelming. We have experienced great, seaweed free days and, not so great.

Thanks, I'll check out your post! We are going in February, as well! So, hopefully the seaweed is not bad...

13 minutes ago, klmxt4 said:

Thanks, I'll check out your post! We are going in February, as well! So, hopefully the seaweed is not bad...

You can never tell. We have been December/January, perfectly clear; End of Feb/March, just beginning; end of March through September, really bad. The offshore reef and nets that they have constructed do help some.

You will see it as you approach the dock if it is there. I feel really sorry for the businesses, they work really hard but it is mother nature.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@c-leg5  If a group of 8 wanted to take a taxi to Malecon and just walked around... Are there street vendors set up along the strip?  Are there other things of interest to see or do?  I'm assuming we could stop any in beach club/restaurants to have a drink or snack as long as they had open seats.  Is there a particular spot we should tell the taxi driver we want to be let off at?  How long would you say the strip is ... 1/2 mile, 1 mile?  This will be our first trip to Costa Maya.  TIA!

52 minutes ago, 10th Anniversary said:

@c-leg5  If a group of 8 wanted to take a taxi to Malecon and just walked around... Are there street vendors set up along the strip?  Are there other things of interest to see or do?  I'm assuming we could stop any in beach club/restaurants to have a drink or snack as long as they had open seats.  Is there a particular spot we should tell the taxi driver we want to be let off at?  How long would you say the strip is ... 1/2 mile, 1 mile?  This will be our first trip to Costa Maya.  TIA!

From Sulumar (south end) to Blue Kay (north) is about 1 mile along the malecon (pedestrian walkway between the sand/sea and buildings). You can safely walk the whole way. There are beach bars literally one after the other along the whole length on the beach side of the road and associated kitchens/small hotels/cafes/bars on the other side of the road, interspersed by a few other businesses/vendors.

Costa Maya  is a very laid back place, nothing high end , nothing really noteworthy to look at. There are a few restaurants, bars and maybe mini golf on the street back parallel to the malecon. A few places rent bikes, kayaks, fishing trips/ snorkeling.

We enjoyed walking from Hotel Luna de Plata south of the malecon to Blue Kay. Definitely quieter at either end and more lively, noisy in the middle. There are a few names you need to be careful of to avoid being overcharged so best to read up on here and have some names in mind. Many clubs seem to gave gone over to trying to charge a package price to cruisers but depending how many ships are in port I am sure you could haggle on the day. We have found most will let you sit at a table and buy a drink or two but will want to charge you if you want a lounger. The day we walked the length we bar hopped and just dropped in without reservations!

If you want to walk ask to be dropped at Sulumar or Blue Kay (or the lighthouse). If you want somewhere central ask for Tropicante (you will be dropped off on the road behind the malecon and have to head one block over towards the ocean). 

See my post#5 above for more info.

Edited by c-leg5

33 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

From Sulumar (south end) to Blue Kay (north) is about 1 mile along the malecon (pedestrian walkway between the sand/sea and buildings). You can safely walk the whole way. 

We enjoyed walking from Hotel Luna de Plata south of the malecon to Blue Kay.  The day we walked the length we bar hopped and just dropped in without reservations!

If you want to walk ask to be dropped at Sulumar or Blue Kay (or the lighthouse). If you want somewhere central ask for Tropicante (you will be dropped off on the road behind the malecon and have to head one block over towards the ocean). 

See my post#5 above for more info.

@c-leg5  Thank you!  This is exactly what we want to do.  Just walk and enjoy bar hopping and taking in the sights and sounds and visit with any street vendors that might be out.  We'll plan to start on the south end and stroll up to the north end.  Then grab taxi and head back to the port area for some more exploring before heading back to the ship.   We will be in port from 11 am to 7 pm.    Thanks again for the information.  It's GREATLY appreciated!!    

May I suggest you ask the taxi driver to drop you off at the lighthouse and start your walk there. At the other end, just past Sulumar is Malecon 21. And then where the walk ends is Macho's bar. Malecon 21 will call a taxi for you if you hang out a bit.

If you stop at Tropicante(white front, blue lettering) they have artisanal tequila tastings when cruise ships are in and local Mexican craft beer you won't find at other places. Food and service are good too. Ask for Ivan, pronounce eevan. 

Enjoy the walk.

Be careful with the taxis, especially if contemplating a long trip to Chacchoben or similar. Instead of preplanning our tour through NCL (and riding on a huge Greyhound-like motor coach/bus), we decided to visit the Mayan ruins on the day we arrived in Costa Maya. I talked to a taxi owner parked on the side of some street, who agreed to transport us the distance, back and forth, for US $120. Yes, I probably overpaid, but that became the last of my worries. The taxi guy ordered one of his men to drive us to Chacchoben in another car, no doubt instructing him not to waste a single second during our visit. The taxi's tires were totally bald, the cab had *no* seatbelts, and the driver (who spoke not a word of English) raced us along a sketchy country road at a sustained 80 mph, occasionally hitting 88 mph (140 kph), without any regard for our safety. It was a terrifying 80 minutes, as we flashed and bounced across the countryside, passing dozens of crossroads that had no traffic signals whatsoever. Had a farmer pulled out in front of us, in his wagon, it would have been curtains. When we arrived at Chacchoben, I almost dropped to my knees, kissed the ground, and announced I was staying there, as a newly converted Mayan. Following our excellent 90-minute tour, we had to climb back into that same da*n cab and stomach the lightning trip back to Costa Maya. I consider our arriving at the Port of CM, intact, one of the great miracles of my life. I should have ordered our driver to slow down, but I didn't want to offend, which speaks volumes about me. Since then, I happily make the 10-minute trip by safari bus to Mahahual. Much calmer.

Edited by Moonlit Sea
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

3 ships in today. Taxi area is a zoo. Basically, flagging down on own. 

Evidently there was a big kerfunkle of some sort between taxi drivers and vans at the port gate, threatening to enter the port. So security locked the port down. 

If you weren't out the gate by 9 :30 or so, you didn't get out.

As a result malecon was fairly quiet. 

Mid afternoon return saw few taxis returning and few people walking back in, but I side port was hopping. 

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Evidently there was a big kerfunkle of some sort between taxi drivers and vans at the port gate, threatening to enter the port. So security locked the port down. 

Mid afternoon return saw few taxis returning and few people walking back in, but I side port was hopping. 

Do you mean you couldn’t walk out? By vans, do you mean the trolleys to town?

Our ship doesn’t get in until after 10, next two weeks

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Another post just reported it was ship excursions that had to be cancelled because they were on strike?