Examples of "interesting" pricing. Share yours.

On three of my upcoming cruises, I decided to look at the Coco Beach Club pass.  (just randomly - it popped up in my face when looking for entertainment reservations.)

First, the weirdest one:

I'm on Grandeur B2B in February.

Feb 20 cruise - the pass price is $80

Feb 28 cruise - the pass price is $53.     That's an insane difference for adjoining cruises.

Oasis June 7 - the pass price is $71.  The biggest, most popular ship is NOT the most expensive?  Eh?

Crazy, eh?  (please don't tell me about "supply and demand".  I know.  It's still crazy.)

That Feb 20th week is school vacation week for most of New England and I think some of Canada as well...it’s the week of Presidents Day - it’s become one of the absolute busiest weekends of the entire year in disney so I’m not surprised to see the pricing for the cruise activities high that week.  

But still - it’s a crap shoot otherwise!  We are traveling April 20 and it’s been around $50 for the beach club on Navigator!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Did you notice the "insane" water park pass on 2/20?  $124.99!

Wowsers!!

I think that they have hit some capacity level and now to get your way in you have to pay thru the nose!  I would be curious to see if folks who booked it months ago paid that much?  

Interesting pricing to me is when looking at fares and the “we pick your room” is less than the “you pick your room” but when you go to the more expensive “you pick your room” page it’s for a guarantee category where you will pay more but still can’t pick your room. 
I know - that’s a long sentence....

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

Interesting pricing to me is when looking at fares and the “we pick your room” is less than the “you pick your room” but when you go to the more expensive “you pick your room” page it’s for a guarantee category where you will pay more but still can’t pick your room. 
I know - that’s a long sentence....

It may be a long sentence but I know what you are talking about. It was really annoying me when I was trying to plan my upcoming cruise. There was no way to tell which cabins were available.

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I got a 2 day pass for $69 

January 19, on Mariner

Also got several weeks of $18 pd drink pkgs

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

Drink package of $18 was interesting.

Interesting pricing also occurs on calls for price drops. 

"I can provide a price drop of over $300"

"Does that factor in keeping my refundable option?"

"Your price drop is actually going to be $75ish dollars"

Edited by NateUpNorth

Testing the market to see what people will pay.

How many people purchase at $53?  How many purchase at $80?  For an Oasis class ship what penetration rate do they get at $71?  I bet on another Oasis sail date it's not $71.  

I don't think this is supply and demand but their attempts to see what the market will bear.  They are working to establish the normal price that will maximize revenue.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't think this is supply and demand but their attempts to see what the market will bear.  They are working to establish the normal price that will maximize revenue.  

Uuh, that IS part of supply and demand. 🙂

It doesn't matter if supply is unlimited, you adjust price up and down to see what it does to your profit, and pick the highest profit point.

Even with unlimited product, you have a cost, and the price drives that rate of selling. 

So, your cost is $10.  You offer for sale at $15, and sell a lot (say 100).  So you raise your price to $18, and you sell the same amount (100).  Great, you make more money.  So you raise your price to $20, and your sales fall to a low number (say 20).   What do you do???

On 1/1/2020 at 5:49 PM, KALCJ1 said:

We are on the Harmony 2/9 for a B2B and both weeks are showing as sold out!

It is now $83.99 on the Harmony 2/9 sailing, and looks available for booking.  It has been randomly showing sold out for the last few weeks, and then available again

I booked it on November 8th for the Harmony 2/9 sailing for $79.00 pp

Cancelled it and re-booked during the Black Friday sailing for $59.00 pp

On 1/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, Another_Critic said:

It's now $131.99 on Grandeur.  😲

Does anyone know the price for the water park pass on the Allure 2/23 sailing?  Allure will be at Coco Cay with Grandeur on 2/24.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:32 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I'm on Grandeur B2B in February.

Feb 20 cruise - the pass price is $80

Feb 28 cruise - the pass price is $53.     That's an insane difference for adjoining cruises.

Feb 20:

Coco Beach Club pass is now listed as $84 and SOLD OUT!

Coco Beach Club Floating Cabana And Full Day Pass is only $2000!

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:47 PM, Another_Critic said:

It's now $131.99 on Grandeur.  😲

Does anyone know the price for the water park pass on the Allure 2/23 sailing?  Allure will be at Coco Cay with Grandeur on 2/24.

Waterpark pass is showing as $93.99 for the Allure 2/23 sailing.  We booked two Chill Island cabanas right away when we booked Allure at $499 each.  They are now listed as $1299 each.  Ridiculous!

• Like 1